Speculation: The 2019 Draft Thread - Sabres pick 7th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
I guess we haven’t learned....
No, its its we havent learned. We have a team that can compete. Was acquiring Skinner a bad move over keeping picks and prospects? If an opportunity arises to grab an impact player that may help for more than this season, we shoyld grab it. We hvae plenty of good stuff in yhe pipe and we still have this years picks even if you trade one of the 1sts and something else.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I’m telling you, this draft is deep enough to warrant staying the course. We’ve already done the trade-picks-to-rush route, and it failed horribly. Take the young cheap talent while we can. We won’t have 3 1sts in a deep draft like this again in many years the way we’re projecting.

Reactions: Goathead and Rasmi

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
You need to have player development in layers in order to maximize cap strategy. Tempting as it is to trade a first for a piece to win now it should be clear only one team can win and this strategy almost always fails. Focus on BPA with your picks because what you think you need now may not be what you really need 2 or 3 years from now when the draftee is ready. No harm in picking what your organizational need is if the ratings are close. Dmen, centres, wingers in that order are usually how they are valued if all other things are equal. Just good to have choices. May our scouting staff have their best year ever!

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I mean, they have two in hand on most teams in front of them. If they won both, they’d shoot up 10 spots.

They are 5 points behind Colorado with one game in hand for the last playoff spot.

And they need to jump over five teams to get there.

The only good part is that it is early in the season. But, they do have a lot of work to do to get there.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
So what you’re saying is...they need to be better.

Hopefully someone in the room is able to communicate that message.

Preferably with a beard.

Reactions: jcbeze

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
I’m telling you, this draft is deep enough to warrant staying the course. We’ve already done the trade-picks-to-rush route, and it failed horribly. Take the young cheap talent while we can. We won’t have 3 1sts in a deep draft like this again in many years the way we’re projecting.

Even if we don’t hit the Jackpot and get a Boeser there’s a good chance in a deep draft you are still gonna get a Konecny and DeBrusk. Imagine adding those 2 upfront in 2 years? That’s a big add depth wise.

darcyRegier

Mar 27, 2017
I we end up in the mid to high teens, Victor Soderstrom might be a guy Botts picks. Swedish right handed shot 2-way dman, great skater skater (TDA says his backwards-skating is "elite"), good hands, and is a good puck mover. 5'11 180 lbs right now (he'll be 18 in Feburary). Is also said to be an amazing defender.

That's too much for Botts to say no.

The Draft Analyst | 2019 Draft Profile: RHD Victor Soderstrom

** edit: He's currently ranked 19th overall by Sportsnet

Reactions: Gabrielor

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
I mean, isn’t a suspected very high 2nd and a well thought of prospect in Pu, somewhat close to a late first?

I don’t think so, Pu is a dime a dozen prospect and a pick in the 40-50 range doesn’t carry close the value of one 15-25th overall.

Reactions: Fearnot

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
I don’t think so, Pu is a dime a dozen prospect and a pick in the 40-50 range doesn’t carry close the value of one 15-25th overall.

I mean dime a dozen is a thing to say, but he was/is a 3rd rounder who is on track to be an nhler. And to be fair, at the time of the trade I think assuming our pick would be remotely close to 50 is hindsight talking today. I’d say the much more reasonable expectation from everyone at the time was our pick was 32-42.

Agreed, not a perfect equivalent to a top 20 pick. But it’s not crazy far off.

And if I’m trading San Jose’s first at the deadline, I think it’s safe to suspect that pick is extremely likely to be in the mid to late 20s. They look super strong.

Say pick 26 vs 35 and Pu? I say somewhat close.

Now if someone wants to trade the Blues pick, that’s a whole nother conversation. And even as it stands, I’m not moving anything big unless I’m getting an impact guy like Trouba.

Reactions: Rasmus CacOlainen

Genny Screamer

Jul 11, 2017
Buffalo, NY
I mean dime a dozen is a thing to say, but he was/is a 3rd rounder who is on track to be an nhler. And to be fair, at the time of the trade I think assuming our pick would be remotely close to 50 is hindsight talking today. I’d say the much more reasonable expectation from everyone at the time was our pick was 32-42.

Agreed, not a perfect equivalent to a top 20 pick. But it’s not crazy far off.

And if I’m trading San Jose’s first at the deadline, I think it’s safe to suspect that pick is extremely likely to be in the mid to late 20s. They look super strong.

Say pick 26 vs 35 and Pu? I say somewhat close.

Now if someone wants to trade the Blues pick, that’s a whole nother conversation. And even as it stands, I’m not moving anything big unless I’m getting an impact guy like Trouba.

I like Cliff Pu as a prospect, but in 13 games with the Charlotte Checkers he has 2pts. Every organization has prospects like Cliff Pu so right now "dime a dozen" prospect fits.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
I like Cliff Pu as a prospect, but in 13 games with the Charlotte Checkers he has 2pts. Every organization has prospects like Cliff Pu so right now "dime a dozen" prospect fits.
I watched him in junior and he seemed to have it all--size, skating, good on the draw, excellent defensively--but he never seemed to progress and his scoring touch just did not develop. He seemed to lack motivation--maybe I just expected too much.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
So is Asplund a dime a dozen prospect?
Maybe. Maybe not. I have not been able to follow Asplund like I did Pu. I liked what I saw of Asplund live in the summer and in the prospects games but he seemed to lack size and other prospects stood out more. Sure hope he can be a bottom six regular for Sabres but too early to tell.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh

Ya I disagree. I think we have one guy like him in our organization, Asplund. And I have seen enough draft picks come and go to know an unused draft pick has far more hope value than it does actual value thru drafting and panning our.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Never getting him so it doesnt matter to me personally. Lets focus on discussing assets we may have a shot at. I dont want to drool over a player some rival will get.

I enjoy the entire draft process, regardless if it's our potential guy or not. I've posted about several other prospects that'll be in our range you can 'drool over'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad