Speculation: The 2019 Draft Thread - Sabres pick 7th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Been following a prospect named Mortiz Seider from Germany. Very good d man, very physical. He might be a first rounder, and might be a perfect partner for Dahlin. Super smart, super mobile, and has some feared physicality. He’s also like 6’4”.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
I’d be hard pressed to pass on Kappo with the first pick, actually I’m almost certain he would be my pick right now. He’s the best fit for this organization. Hughes would be such a bad fit here for a number one pick IMO.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
I’d be hard pressed to pass on Kappo with the first pick, actually I’m almost certain he would be my pick right now. He’s the best fit for this organization. Hughes would be such a bad fit here for a number one pick IMO.

Hughes would be a perfect fit for 31 teams. I watched him again Saturday and then talked to him for a second after the game. Kid is otherworldly. Way more scouts at the NTDP games this year. I'll see if I can chat one or two of them up. I think I recognized the Sabres one.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh

Why would Hughes be a bad fit? I can imagine him starting like Marner, on the wing and making magic happen.

Kappo would be awesome too.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Why would Hughes be a bad fit? I can imagine him starting like Marner, on the wing and making magic happen.

Kappo would be awesome too.

Sorry, I didn't mean a 'bad fit' like it wouldn't work out. We have alot of guys Mittelsadt and Eichel in particular who like to dangle and dominate the puck, I might be off base but I find Kappo plays a really quick smart game, much like some of the other top fins. Adding Kappo to Eichel/Dahlin/Mittelstadt/Reinhart would exicte me more moving forward. Both are obviously elite talents, although I don't view either as generational type.

Reactions: sabrebuild

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Sorry, I didn't mean a 'bad fit' like it wouldn't work out. We have alot of guys Mittelsadt and Eichel in particular who like to dangle and dominate the puck, I might be off base but I find Kappo plays a really quick smart game, much like some of the other top fins. Adding Kappo to Eichel/Dahlin/Mittelstadt/Reinhart would exicte me more moving forward. Both are obviously elite talents, although I don't view either as generational type.

I agree that Kakko’s talent level is similar, and that he’d definitely be a better team fit. I also agree that Hughes isn’t a “generational” Prospect, just a Mackinnon-level one (that’s still very good). I can’t wait to watch both at worlds.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
I agree that Kakko’s talent level is similar, and that he’d definitely be a better team fit. I also agree that Hughes isn’t a “generational” Prospect, just a Mackinnon-level one (that’s still very good). I can’t wait to watch both at worlds.

Hughes is Patrick Kane at the next level IMO. Kappo is more of that big complete do everything forward who racks up points.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Went to the Sarnia Sting - London Knights game in Sarnia today instead of watching the Bills game and wow did I make the right choice. Got there right at puck drop and some guy just gives my girl and I first row tickets right at the blue line. Very entertaining game.

On London, other than Boqvist who was player of the game, I really liked Antonio Stranges. He was noticeable out there in a good way all game, and even went toe to toe with Mitch Eliot, who is four years older. They got in a scrum, and then yelled at each other in the penalty box right next to us the whole time. But then nothing happened after - probably due to the game being close at that point. Kid is from Plymouth, MI where we watch the NTDP play all the time. Too bad he isn't draft eligible until 2020. Keep an eye on him.

Speaking of Eliot, he is the son of Darren Eliot. The Sarnia captain was apparently at Michigan State the last two years and came to Sarnia, bailing out on MSU with six games to go in their season with no warning. That definitely pissed off Coach Cole but the kid looked good to me. He is a 1998 and he was not drafted but I saw a lot in the kid. Grosse Point, MI native, but followed his dad during his playing days.

Reactions: HaNotsri

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
We need a Pasternak? I thought we already had a better version of him in Sam Reinhart....?

I agree, we need an actual franchise winger who can score and pass the puck, I think there will be one or two of them in this draft.

Last edited:

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
We need a Pasternak? I thought we already had a better version of him in Sam Reinhart....?

I agree, we need an actual franchise winger who can score and pass the puck, I think there will be one or two of them in this draft.

I disagree. I think the Sabres need a 3C and more D. I'd rather draft a faller like Turcotte or Newhook, and slide a center to wing. Especially if Skinner is re-signed.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I disagree. I think the Sabres need a 3C and more D. I'd rather draft a faller like Turcotte or Newhook, and slide a center to wing. Especially if Skinner is re-signed.

I thought Asplund was the super 3C of the future?

I think the Sabres are definitely in BPA mode for the next few drafts.

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I thought Asplund was the super 3C of the future?

I think the Sabres are definitely in BPA mode for the next few drafts.

BPA should especially be true in this draft. Such a diverse set of talent, and I could make an argument for every type of Dman, Winger, and Center in the top 20ish and counting.

When I do weekly mocks, I’m usually happiest coming out with a potential Dahlin partner, and/or a Eichel/mitts winger. That said, someone like Kirby Dach as a true center gives us a completely different look and feel.

Great draft to have 3 firsts.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
BPA should especially be true in this draft. Such a diverse set of talent, and I could make an argument for every type of Dman, Winger, and Center in the top 20ish and counting.

When I do weekly mocks, I’m usually happiest coming out with a potential Dahlin partner, and/or a Eichel/mitts winger. That said, someone like Kirby Dach as a true center gives us a completely different look and feel.

Great draft to have 3 firsts.

Overall, agree.

I don't think Buffalo sniffs Dach unless they finish with a top 5 pick.

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Overall, agree.

I don't think Buffalo sniffs Dach unless they finish with a top 5 pick.

Oh I don’t think so either, but that wasn’t the point. I simply used Dach as an argument for why taking a center would be fine.

Incidentally, if the draft was today, and we won the lottery and picked first, I don’t think my selection would be Jack Hughes.

Reactions: Der Jaeger

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Oh I don’t think so either, but that wasn’t the point. I simply used Dach as an argument for why taking a center would be fine.

Incidentally, if the draft was today, and we won the lottery and picked first, I don’t think my selection would be Jack Hughes.

I'd pick Hughes, but Kakko is good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad