Speculation: The 2019 Draft Thread - Sabres pick 7th

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
I'm still impressed with Sogaard. Yes, yes... UPL. But hey... why not? :D

UPL being the only goalie prospect in the pipeline really concerns me. He's still many years away and far from a sure thing. We really need to draft a pair of goalies this year to replenish the pipeline, so the fact we have UPL should not deter us from taking one early if the right player is available.

Reactions: Chainshot

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Turcotte reminds me of Mittelstadt. Of course, last year Mittelstadt was the World Juniors MVP. I can see similar career development paths. Turcotte may play one year at Wisconsin, dominate at the World Juniors and then get signed to his NHL club. He may struggle during his first full year in the NHL, but then establish himself as a good #2 center.

Our center depth will look solid with Eichel, Mittelstadt, Asplund, Davidsson, Pekar and Turcotte.

I kind of see Jost when I watch Turcotte.

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
I want Newhook. Hoping we either St. Louis goes on a tear, or Newhook slips because other guys rise after WJC and playoffs in their leagues, etc etc

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I want Newhook. Hoping we either St. Louis goes on a tear, or Newhook slips because other guys rise after WJC and playoffs in their leagues, etc etc

Newhook is more pure offensive than Turcotte, and could project to wing easily. I prefer Turcotte because of the two way play, but won't shed any tears if Botterill takes Newhook. He's off to BC in the fall.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I despise when a player I wanted gets passed over for a scout's pick, and then that player ends up killing it.

In the 2018 draft, it was taking Cronholm over Kurashev.

Goathead

Jan 28, 2015
Niagara Falls, ON
What’s the deal with Brett Leason? He’s 19 so I guess he got passed over last draft. Lighting up the WHL this year and has looked pretty damn good for Team Canada so far. Worth a late pick?

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
Age doesn't matter as much to me. I see him following a similar path to Drake Batherson of Ottawa.

Pretend Batherson wasn't selected in the 4th round by Ottawa in 2017...he would have been a 1st rounder likely in 2018. In his 19 year old year, he put up terrific numbers in junior including an amazing WJC. Now this year, he is dynamite in the AHL and already making his break into the NHL. That is a player worth taking a shot on.

Leason is having a similar breakout 19 year old campaign. Overager or not, he is proving he has great talent and has overcome some of his weaknesses. If you don't use a 1st on him, you won't get him. I want him.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Age doesn't matter as much to me. I see him following a similar path to Drake Batherson of Ottawa.

Pretend Batherson wasn't selected in the 4th round by Ottawa in 2017...he would have been a 1st rounder likely in 2018. In his 19 year old year, he put up terrific numbers in junior including an amazing WJC. Now this year, he is dynamite in the AHL and already making his break into the NHL. That is a player worth taking a shot on.

Leason is having a similar breakout 19 year old campaign. Overager or not, he is proving he has great talent and has overcome some of his weaknesses. If you don't use a 1st on him, you won't get him. I want him.

How often do overaged players get selected in the first round?

It seems like it has happened less often recently than 1st round goalies.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
As for this draft, wow. I've never heard team scouts rip a draft class more than this class...not even close. I even heard guys starting to get negative on the USNTDP players last week. For me, it's the weakness of the OHL that really stands out. I keep hoping for some players to impress but so far it's been a struggle. It's forced me to travel a bit more and even that has led to some disappointment in the QMJHL and WHL.

Above is a quote from Mark Edwards, who runs Hockey Prospects and publishes the Black Book. Some of his lists are a bit off, especially early on, but he's well connected with scouts. His publication includes quotes (anonymous) from scouts on the road. He doesn't think it's that deep outside the first round.

For me, that explains why Leason might be up on draft boards a bit. I'm also ok with trading the 3rd and 4th rounders, and banking on the first round.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
What’s the deal with Brett Leason? He’s 19 so I guess he got passed over last draft. Lighting up the WHL this year and has looked pretty damn good for Team Canada so far. Worth a late pick?
He was draft eligible in 2017 as well. I wouldn't use a pick on him, it's not at all unusual for overagers to beast in the WHL. Happens every single year with 20yo guys making mincemeat of younger, smaller, weaker competition.

Last year it was Jayden Halbgewachs and Glenn Gawdin tearing it up. Dryden Hunt and Brayden Burke in 15-16. Huge numbers from a 19-20 year old playing against 16 and 17 year olds doesn't make a guy who has been passed over twice suddenly draftable.

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
Just to clarify Pearson and Leason weren’t drafted in their OA season. Next year would be Leason’s OA season. This is his 19yo year.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Just to clarify Pearson and Leason weren’t drafted in their OA season. Next year would be Leason’s OA season. This is his 19yo year.
I don't think people are talking about players being drafted after their overage season in juniors. Such players wouldn't be draft eligible anymore (with the possible exception, I suppose, of import players only coming over for their overage year).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad