Speculation: The 2019 Draft Thread 2 - Sabres pick 7th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
No, but scouts aren't just watching games and game film. They talk to people (coaches, managers, staff and others) about those very things - practice habits, teammate relationships, attitude. That's part of the art of scouting and the soft skills involved in having trusted people to talk to about players. Sifting through the narrative is very much part of building the profile.

...an underrated/underappreciated part of scouting around these parts, if you ask me. People have the strongest opinions in the world without knowing a thing about the players habits or personality. A player you'll be working with for a decade or more. Personality, character, and attitude are all very important.

Reactions: 1972

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
...an underrated/underappreciated part of scouting around these parts, if you ask me. People have the strongest opinions in the world without knowing a thing about the players habits or personality. A player you'll be working with for a decade or more. Personality, character, and attitude are all very important.

And it's where the conversations about attitude come into play -- when respected individuals who work in and around a given league say "hey, this kid gets it" or "hey, this kid is trouble and here's why...". There are definitely people who see things who are willing to say, pro or con, what they witnessed.

Soft skills are a whole part of the art of scouting. One thing I miss about not being near a CHL rink is not being able to shoot the breeze with different scouts. Some of them are surprisingly open about why they are there, what their opinions about players are, and what their teams need. Some are not. But it starts to paint a picture beyond just "this guy is fast" or "look at those crazy dangles" that simply watching a player provides.

Similarly, watching someone live gives a more complete picture of the player. How do they act on the bench? Are they slack on changes or do they hustle? When they are behind the play, what are they doing? Are they quiet or are they talking to their linemates or partner or even their netminder? It paints a picture.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
And it's where the conversations about attitude come into play -- when respected individuals who work in and around a given league say "hey, this kid gets it" or "hey, this kid is trouble and here's why...". There are definitely people who see things who are willing to say, pro or con, what they witnessed.

Soft skills are a whole part of the art of scouting. One thing I miss about not being near a CHL rink is not being able to shoot the breeze with different scouts. Some of them are surprisingly open about why they are there, what their opinions about players are, and what their teams need. Some are not. But it starts to paint a picture beyond just "this guy is fast" or "look at those crazy dangles" that simply watching a player provides.

Similarly, watching someone live gives a more complete picture of the player. How do they act on the bench? Are they slack on changes or do they hustle? When they are behind the play, what are they doing? Are they quiet or are they talking to their linemates or partner or even their netminder? It paints a picture.

Yes! Such a great post. Soft skills aside, no one mentions how different it is to see a prospect live, and how much more info you glean.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel

I wouldn’t draft a kid unless he’s watched Slapshot, eats steak, and knows how to play beer pong. Just my personal scouting rules.

Reactions: DJN21 and Baccus

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

The Sabres tried relying largely on video scouting during the Golissano era and got almost no NHL players over several years of drafts doing it. Those soft skills, personality traits, the attitude...That stuff definitely matters.

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
I wouldn’t draft a kid unless he’s watched Slapshot, eats steak, and knows how to play beer pong. Just my personal scouting rules.
I know you’re joking but if that’s the case then you wouldn’t have drafted McDavid. I believe Hallsy said on the spittin chiclets podcast that McDavid hadn’t seen Slapshot.

Club

Mar 2, 2015
Calgary
Haven't seen Seider's name a whole bunch on here, doubtful he's there with our 2nd pick.. But what do you all think of him?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I won't be upset with him as the 2nd pick in the first round.

But, I also won't be surprised if he is off the board at that point.

Yep and the talk we had here about him was mostly in the fall. As the Sabres plummeted, the talk shifted from sifting out the mid-teens guys to the bottom half of the top 10. He has fans here (@Der Jaeger probably most vocal). I would be down with that pick, but I do hold out hope the board breaks in such a fashion that they wind up with some offensively talent people with that 2nd first rounder, if retained.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Yep and the talk we had here about him was mostly in the fall. As the Sabres plummeted, the talk shifted from sifting out the mid-teens guys to the bottom half of the top 10. He has fans here (@Der Jaeger probably most vocal). I would be down with that pick, but I do hold out hope the board breaks in such a fashion that they wind up with some offensively talent people with that 2nd first rounder, if retained.

Same here. I'm hoping for a D run that pushes a high potential scorer down to that 2nd pick (Kaliyev, Brink, Pelletier, Hoglander)

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Same here. I'm hoping for a D run that pushes a high potential scorer down to that 2nd pick (Kaliyev, Brink, Pelletier, Hoglander)

I was glad Broberg built on his Hlinka with a strong U18 with the hope he pushes up into that 8-10 range and starts that sort of run. York, him, Heinola, Seider, Soderstrom could all get some play in the teens which would leave offensive forwards on the board.

Now if only the draft pick situation resolves that they wind up around 18 or 19 with that pick.

Reactions: debaser66

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I was glad Broberg built on his Hlinka with a strong U18 with the hope he pushes up into that 8-10 range and starts that sort of run. York, him, Heinola, Seider, Soderstrom could all get some play in the teens which would leave offensive forwards on the board.

Now if only the draft pick situation resolves that they wind up around 18 or 19 with that pick.

My favorite scenarios involved Krebs/Turcotte at 7, and Lavoie at 19 (before lavoie started re-defining what it means to destroy the postseason)

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
NHL Mock Draft: What happens after Hughes and Kakko go 1-2?

7. Buffalo Sabres - Bowen Byram, D, WHL

While this year's crop of defensemen isn't as strong as last year's, Byram is eye-catching. He's a fantastic skater with a fluid stride and very good top speed, and he's just as good skating backward. One of the best parts of his game is his vision - it lets him read the best options to get a pass to a teammate through traffic, or to find or create shooting lanes for himself.

30. Buffalo Sabres (via San Jose) - Albin Grewe, RW, SuperElit
Grewe is another prospect more likely to go in the second round than the first, but with the Sabres' second pick, they're playing with house money. Grewe's been a power-forward type in the SuperElit, with good vision and slick puck skills. His energy is relentless, and he's one of the hardest-working guys whenever he's on the ice. If he can translate his offensive production to a higher league, he'll be a solid addition to Buffalo's top six down the road.

Thoughts?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Not much to complain about that outcome. As much as our anemic forward group needs help, it'd be hard to pass up Byram if he's there at our pick. Idk anything about Grewe other than @Chainshot likes him, so that works for me.

Aww, thanks! Grewe is a dink to play against and he's got some solid skills too. Shift disturber, physical, built like a fire plug.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
If Byram miraculously come to room #7, Botterill should snatch it and run, can be Turcotte will be still available, it is difficult to predict, Podkolzin I think it will go away in Los Angeles or Detroit.

Reactions: hizzoner

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

At 30, I'd be happy with that pick depending on who was on the board. In that mock draft I see that Kaliyev, Pelletier, Brink, Leason, Lavoie, McMichael are all gone. So, not a bad pick IMO.

He's a Puck dog with a killer shot.... always great attributes to add to the pipeline. But I worry a bit about Grewe's ceiling at the next level due to skating/athleticism/mobility.

I like Hoglander (in the same mold) a lot more. He's shorter, but plays the same aggressive style as Grewe. The biggest difference is that Hoglander (IMO) is a top notch skater, while Grewe comes up short in those areas.

I would definitely take Hoglander before Grewe.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
At 30, I'd be happy with that pick depending on who was on the board. In that mock draft I see that Kaliyev, Pelletier, Brink, Leason, Lavoie, McMichael are all gone. So, not a bad pick IMO.

He's a Puck dog with a killer shot.... always great attributes to add to the pipeline. But I worry a bit about Grewe's ceiling at the next level due to skating/athleticism/mobility.

I like Hoglander (in the same mold) a lot more. He's shorter, but plays the same aggressive style as Grewe. The biggest difference is that Hoglander (IMO) is a top notch skater, while Grewe comes up short in those areas.

I would definitely take Hoglander before Grewe.

Having watched a bit of both, I don’t see an issue with Grewe’s skating that could be an issue. Decision making? Sometimes, but his wheels are fine. And Hoglander at 5’9” seems far less likely to have a physical impact on an NHL game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad