GDT: The 2019 Draft Lottery Thread (Formerly #Senswatch)

Status
Not open for further replies.

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
I'm more annoyed by the fact that a system that was introduced due to Edmonton winning all the time has now produced 2 1st-Overall picks in 3 years for the same team. On top of that Edmonton is still a constant threat to win.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
Hmmm, difference between Hughes and Kakko and #4. In 2015, McJesus was 1st. We got Rantanen at 10th. You know who else was picked lower? Barzal, Chabot and Boeser. In contrast this draft is also very deep. So we shouldn't be so upset. I've no doubt we'll be way more than happy with our pick.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Hmmm, difference between Hughes and Kakko and #4. In 2015, McJesus was 1st. We got Rantanen at 10th. You know who else was picked lower? Barzal, Chabot and Boeser. In contrast this draft is also very deep. So we shouldn't be so upset. I've no doubt we'll be way more than happy with our pick.
Gotta be really careful not to end up with this year's Pavel Zacha.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Dissapointed is fine but not a single Avs fan should be upset about #4. The pick is free. We lost Duchene and yet here we are making the playoffs back to back season without him. Something he nor any other Avs roster has been able to do since the Coach Q days. Count your blessings ya'll we have playoffs in a few days and we have Makar waiting in the wing. Its a wonderful time to be an Avs fan.

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
The real winners are Kakko and the Rangers. Kid will play and live in New York and the Rangers get a hell of a player. To be honest, i would´ve loved to get Kakko on our team, but hey, the lottery balls screwed us once more. I´m not even mad at some Sens-Fans. Hey, after their horrible season they, at least, didnt have to watch us get Kakko or Hughes. Their franchise is still in charge of a clown and his puppet of GM. So give them their "celebration". I can live with that. We celebrated their finish too.

The Devils won the big price. 2nd time in 3 years. So the league will have no other choice than to change the Lottery-system again, amaright? :huh:
Poor Jack Hughes. Dreamed of Detroit or Vancouver and has to got to East Rutheford, New Jersey. :cry:

We still get a very good player at No 4. Be it Turcotte, Byram or Cozens. Maybe the russian kid. And maybe there are some nice pieces waiting at No 16.

Speaking of the lottery: Am i a little bit upset? Yeah. The league wants to prevent "tanking", ok, nothing wrong with that (although they wont prevent it). But in my opinion Chicago has also no business the be rewarded with a top 3 pick. Nor did Philly the year before.

Everybody blaims Edmonton for this lottery, ok. But this "tanking" started long before and was well established for centuries. The Pens tanked at least 2times that hard to get their "franchise players". Jesus, they even said it out loud in 2005 when Crosby was the big price. So did Chicago and many other teams. And then Edmonton did it and got "lucky" and suddenly the system was "unfair".....? Serious?

I´m ok that every 15 teams get a shot at No 1, with every single team gets a fair shot and odd. But after that leave the order as it is. Droping from 1st to 4th two times in a row? Really? Philly jumped from 14 to 2, Chicage from 13 to 3 (What are the odds that this happens 2 times in 3 years, btw?).... LA from 2 to 5. We had a 48 point season and no business for tanking. We just were that bad. And still get punished for that (although we got Makar)? Does anyone here really think that LA started the season on the purpose of tanking? No, they saw themselve as playoff-bound.

If you want to keep this system than go back to the old form. No team can go up more than 4 or at least 6 slots. And, for f***ing sake, do the lottery LIVE on TV so everyone can watch it.

Last edited:
Reactions: RareDangles

Pacman33

#teamZ
Feb 9, 2017
While it stills annoying how things played out, were still the winners here. With the players we have already plus 2 firsts this year, our future is as bright as any team. Good for rangers and devils but they still have many more holes to fill then we do

Reactions: 22FUTON9

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
yr8xwg7wjdr21.png

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I'm much much more annoyed by the Hawks getting third than anything else. New Jersey will still hardly be a threat, and neither of the Eastern teams really incite any reaction at all from me. Meanwhile, we're guaranteed some more Hawks crap everywhere we look. And this is in no way a shot at the people of Chicago either, but that's obvious.

Miri

Lavinengefahr!
Aug 13, 2013
Slovakia
Safe to say, while kind of predictable, this is very disappointing outcome.

Now we can draft a great player at 4th, no doubt. But we really needed Hughes or Kaako - i mean high level talent, who could fit straight into the roster next year already, as we need to be start being competitive now, not few years down the road, when MacK´s contract runs out. Not really sure if any of Cozens, Turcotte, Dach, Podkolzin, etc...is ready.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Fernando, what do you think of the draft lottery as a concept and its implementation over the past decade?

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
I'm not sure if the league can go on with this draft system. It just makes people hate it. Yes, I am bitter Avalanche fan speaking but someone else will have our faith as well. I feel super shit about this and so would anyone else, If it would happen to them.
We had one of the worst seasons in the NHL history and we end up 4th overall and now Ottawa is clearly the worst team in the league and 4th place. It's so sickening. How would anyone feel after these two? Pretty damn shit. I think they need to change the rules again.. Change the rules so constant tanking is not possible or you can't multiple top3 picks in a row. I think it would be much better than giving the worst team in the league 18,5% chance to land the top pick and 50% miss the top3. It's too much. Every second year people will feel like betrayed by the league. It feels so shit to finish last and then pick 4th place and pick some shit, instead of sure fire franchise player.

Luckily this is not the worst year to pick top4 and it seems like we got lucky with Makar but I doubt we are as lucky this time around.

**** NHL. Still bitter.

Btw. It's kinda sick how many people are happy we didn't get the first overall but at the same time they talk about team's tanking for the first overall. Double standards much..

We didn't tank.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Safe to say, while kind of predictable, this is very disappointing outcome.

Now we can draft a great player at 4th, no doubt. But we really needed Hughes or Kaako - i mean high level talent, who could fit straight into the roster next year already, as we need to be start being competitive now, not few years down the road, when MacK´s contract runs out. Not really sure if any of Cozens, Turcotte, Dach, Podkolzin, etc...is ready.

I agree with you. I expected to pick at #4 so I didn't go nuts, but it hurts the immediate future of this team a lot. What will help, though, is Makar and an FA. Absolutely vital to sign a good forward. The prospect from this draft will be ready in 2020.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
The lottery rules are nonsense when you look at them in isolation. When you see what they've done and why they were implemented, it gets even worse. This system I'm about to make up on the spot would be much better:

- Split the non-playoff teams into three groups of five (and 5/5/6 when Seattle comes). Pick three lotteries for each section, the winning team only goes to the top of their section, moving up a maximum of four/five places. Odds should be something like 50/20/10/10/10.
- If a team has won a lottery in the previous two seasons, they're not eligible to move up. Their balls would need to be left in to keep the odds for everyone else the same but if they win, everything stays the same.
- If a team has picked first overall in the previous two seasons and finish bottom five, they aren't included in that section's lottery.

Tell me how this doesn't solve the problems the current system was implemented to fix, and how it doesn't add fairness and reasonable excitement throughout the rest of the teams.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
The lottery rules are nonsense when you look at them in isolation. When you see what they've done and why they were implemented, it gets even worse. This system I'm about to make up on the spot would be much better:

- Split the non-playoff teams into three groups of five (and 5/5/6 when Seattle comes). Pick three lotteries for each section, the winning team only goes to the top of their section, moving up a maximum of four/five places. Odds should be something like 50/20/10/10/10.
- If a team has won a lottery in the previous two seasons, they're not eligible to move up. Their balls would need to be left in to keep the odds for everyone else the same but if they win, everything stays the same.
- If a team has picked first overall in the previous two seasons and finish bottom five, they aren't included in that section's lottery.

Tell me how this doesn't solve the problems the current system was implemented to fix, and how it doesn't add fairness and reasonable excitement throughout the rest of the teams.

I like this alot. I think the most important thing is to end the constant tanking and that's easy to do, example, If you win first overall previous year, you can't get top3 spot next year or if you finish second you can't get top2 overall etc. I kinda like system like that.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Yes, 4 is great, but it’s another guy that’s a couple years from helping the Avs. Our cup window needs to be opening in that period. But back to the UFA market we go for secondary scoring, and we know how that’s worked out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad