The 2019-20 Around the League Thread, Pt. III

Status
Not open for further replies.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Nobody hates Subban, except for the fact his play has been terrible this season (weren't there posters here ,preferring him over Myers?)....Nobody hates Kane either, but his list of stupid off -ice antics haven't made him endearing.

While I wouldn't want Subban's contract he is still a better Dman than Myers and really is anyone happy with a Dman pulling down 6x6 with 4 assists this year?

I mean Jordan Benn has 5 assists.

WTF?

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Kane physically assaulted two women on video and quite likely committed a violent sexual assault where the victim didn’t want to testify, people don’t like that.

I agree Kane and Subban aren't the same at all.

I'm a huge fan of Subban the person he seems like a really fun guy and he respects the history of the game and is extremely charitable?

No doubt his parents raised a great man and hockey players always are the type of professional athletes one would want their daughters to mary..

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Why are people so obsessed in hating Subban and E. Kane

Because Kane has always had his issues and Subban is a star player that gets under your skin, similar to a Kesler.

Why do you mention these two players specifically though? Are you referencing something?

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
While I wouldn't want Subban's contract he is still a better Dman than Myers and really is anyone happy with a Dman pulling down 6x6 with 4 assists this year?

WTF?

Hey man, it's only 5x6. 6x6 was the presale price.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012

WTF?
5 x 6 for Myers. and Subbans stat line for 9 million is digusting if your gonna use that as a comp.

Subban is a good person but he has a massive personality that rubs people the wrong way after awhile. Its a gamble when you integrate someone like that in the room. i doubt he would be an issue but
Jeremy Davies is a hell of a prospect and 2 2nd round picks is still a fair amount of assets.

He has to be really unhappy in NJ because he's playing like ass. Kinda dissapointing for that organization given what they are paying him though. Not exactly oozing leadership at this point. Hopefully he turns it around

Reactions: wetcoast

Sneezy

Oct 25, 2019

WTF?

Are you looking at match ups? Myers is out against the top lines, Benn not so much.

I am sure some stat nerds can give us some advance stats to confirm or reject this?

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Are you looking at match ups? Myers is out against the top lines, Benn not so much.

I am sure some stat nerds can give us some advance stats to confirm or reject this?
Meh, here’s a stat for you; Benn has an average of 4 seconds of power play time per game this season so far (ie, none). Myers has just over a minute of power play time so far (with a team that has a pretty lethal power play to date). Zero power play points for Myers.

Defensively, he’s been a lot better than I thought he would be but he’s paid a premium to help put up points.

Reactions: wetcoast

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Meh, here’s a stat for you; Benn has an average of 4 seconds of power play time per game this season so far (ie, none). Myers has just over a minute of power play time so far (with a team that has a pretty lethal power play to date). Zero power play points for Myers.

Defensively, he’s been a lot better than I thought he would be but he’s paid a premium to help put up points.

it's weird actually. this team seems to key offence from the left point. i'd like to see a heat chart on even strength shots and goals originating from dmen on the the point. stecher and benn have the same number of shots credited, and edler is not far ahead of myers, yet i would eyeball guess the offence from the point overwhelmingly comes from the left side, and i would guess a lot more of stecher/myers shots are from closer in or bad angles as opposed to just blasting from the point.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Do you guys think Ovie breaks Gretzky's goal record?

He's 216 behind right now. So, say he get 50 this year, which is very reasonable considering he has 20g in 30gp. That would put him at 186 goals back.

If he plays for 5 more years and scores 35 goals per, that would put him 11 goals back. I think it's likely he can get 40 goals the next couple years still, he's really not slowing down and his body has held up amazingly so far.

I think he does it.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

He's 216 behind right now. So, say he get 50 this year, which is very reasonable considering he has 20g in 30gp. That would put him at 186 goals back.

If he plays for 5 more years and scores 35 goals per, that would put him 11 goals back. I think it's likely he can get 40 goals the next couple years still, he's really not slowing down and his body has held up amazingly so far.

I think he does it.
2004 draft pick, with a later birthday, missing the 2003 draft by a day or two. He turns 35 in September 2020. Asking a lot to put up 47 goals per season for 4 seasons to hit that mark. Doing 37/38 per season over 5 seems more realistic. Comes down to his health. Big strong man, but wear and tear could catch up to him. No serious injuries to date, but never know going forward.

If everything had lined up for him, being born 2 days earlier, thus gaining 82 games in 03-04, not losing 116 games due to 2 work stoppages, and if Florida (who had the top pick in 2003) put together a competent team around him, he would likely be a lock to break the record. That's 200 extra games, so close to 100 more goals at this point.

Reactions: PG Canuck

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
2004 draft pick, with a later birthday, missing the 2003 draft by a day or two. He turns 35 in September 2020. Asking a lot to put up 47 goals per season for 4 seasons to hit that mark. Doing 37/38 per season over 5 seems more realistic.

If everything had lined up for him, being born 2 days earlier, thus gaining 82 games in 03-04, not losing 116 games due to 2 work stoppages, and if Florida (who had the top pick in 2003) put together a competent team around him, he would likely be a lock to break the record. That's 200 extra games, so close to 100 more goals at this point.

Which is pretty remarkable that it's still doable for him to break the record. Absolutely nuts.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018

I think he does it.
I do. Guy also loves hockey. I can't see him hanging up his skates if he's still good and I think he will be.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton

I think he does it.

If James Neal can play regular minutes right now with how bad he is at ES, Ovechkin sure as hell can deliver that same level of PP-only performance at age 40.

It will likely take him 6 seasons, but I think it's possible.

Age 35: 45 goals - 141 to go
Age 36: 30 goals - 111 to go
Age 37: 30 goals - 81 to go
Age 38: 25 goals - 56 to go
Age 39: 25 goals - 26 to go
Age 40: 26 goals

That's not unrealistic at all, even with some injury/load management games considered.

Reactions: 420Canuck

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016

I think he does it.

he is out of contract after next year so his next term will be interesting.

i think he will drop off sharply in a year or two and fall short of jagr but then go to the khl until he is 45 and beat howe for most pro goals ever.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
If James Neal can play regular minutes right now with how bad he is at ES, Ovechkin sure as hell can deliver that same level of PP-only performance at age 40.

It will likely take him 6 seasons, but I think it's possible.

Age 35: 45 goals - 141 to go
Age 36: 30 goals - 111 to go
Age 37: 30 goals - 81 to go
Age 38: 25 goals - 56 to go
Age 39: 25 goals - 26 to go
Age 40: 26 goals

That's not unrealistic at all, even with some injury/load management games considered.
The issue for older players is that they lose the desire to commit to their off season programs. They love playing the game but know that they aren’t doing everything they can to perform so they call it quits.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
he is out of contract after next year so his next term will be interesting.

i think he will drop off sharply in a year or two and fall short of jagr but then go to the khl until he is 45 and beat howe for most pro goals ever.

I see a gradual decline rather than right away. He hasn’t even started that gradual decline yet either. The only way he drops off fast is injuries.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Which is pretty remarkable that it's still doable for him to break the record. Absolutely nuts.

It's doable but he is already slipping 5 on 5 and at some point (before he hits 800) His play is going to drop off in the sense that he won't be a bonafide 1st line player any more and then the question will be if Washington wants to keep putting him out there to chase the record when it hurts the team overall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad