The 2019-20 Around the League Thread, Pt. III

Status
Not open for further replies.

YouNeedToBeInformed

Sep 23, 2019
What about the 2011 Canucks? Why did the Capitals not win the cup until Ovechkin's 13th year in the league?

Florida's run? You just called out Bad Goalie for mentioning the Devils, and you're referencing a 1996 cup run.....well, if that one fits, then so do the 1995 Devils that swept the Presidents Trophy Detroit Redwings.

Nobody is even hyping up Arizona, they're just saying the team is surprisingly good. Anyways, I've had enough of this discussion, I'll leave you to your theories and research.

You truly need to read my posts. Its all answered. What about the Canucks? Bruins were very very close to the canucks in depth scoring, go look it up yourself. I already have ages ago. I know the stats. I looked this all up, every single year , dating back sometime.

Again i dont think i should have to post this because i think it was pretty clear that Boston was also a top team. they had firepower on their third line. There was no shortage there, all while having an elite goaltender and the best d man in hockey at the time. they were also less injured. puck luck. one of the top two teams won. You need to remember what you are debating here, Boston winning is proving my theory. They were a top seed in the east. And were a top team on paper

Lots of reasons Capitals didn't win the cup right away. They had obvious glaring holes, honestly that team wasn't that good. people thought they should have won the cup and underpeformed, despite not even having a great team, ovi carried that team quite a few of those years. then people complained they didn't win the cup. lead by mike green? come on, that guy wasnt a defender. again in my recent post up above, i said not every team that is offensive can win the cup. its that every cup winner will be a top offensive team.
Notice how i didn't include Toronto in my list currently. Same applies to Washington of old.
i also said, you can't win it every year, sometimes it takes years. but you keep the window open, i explained how you do that as well. washington was able to keep it open, having Ovi and not being cap restraint helps

i probably should have kept florida out but its been that way for a long time, in any era.. even before offense won cups. even when defense did. underdogs went far, but not the distance

Last edited:

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
You truly need to read my posts. Its all answered. What about the Canucks? Bruins were very very close to the canucks in depth scoring, go look it up yourself. I already have ages ago. I know the stats. I looked this all up, every single year , dating back sometime.

Again i dont think i should have to post this because i think it was pretty clear that Boston was also a top team. they had firepower on their third line. There was no shortage there, all while having an elite goaltender and the best d man in hockey at the time. they were also less injured. puck luck. one of the top two teams won.

Lots of reasons Capitals didn't win the cup right away. They had obvious glaring holes, honestly that team wasn't that good. people thought they should have won the cup and underpeformed, despite not even having a great team, ovi carried that team quite a few of those years. then people complained they didn't win the cup. lead by mike green? come on, that guy wasnt a defender. again in my recent post up above, i said not every team that is offensive can win the cup. its that every cup winner will be a top offensive team.
Notice how i didn't include Toronto in my list currently. Same applies to Washington of old.
i also said, you can't win it every year, sometimes it takes years. but you keep the window open, i explained how you do that as well.

i probably should have kept florida out but its been that way for a long time, in any era.. even before offense won cups. even when defense did. underdogs went far, but not the distance
Guessing you also forget 2012, where the 2nd lowest scoring team in the regular season, the 8th seed in the west walked through the playoffs like it was easy with 3 50 pt scorers on the entire roster. They were an underdog bud, you need to inform yourself.

The Penguins first cup win with Sid, they were huge dogs to the Red Wings, even the players thought so, that's why Hossa ditched 21 year old Sid, for 31 year old Datsyuk.

The Devils with Brodeur should've never won a single cup based on your theories.
Yet people are arguing they do not. Looks like it still needs to be said.
Nah, this is not what I'm arguing, I'm arguing against your research, which reads to me like you looked up team scorers and standings once in a while.

Reactions: I am toxic

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
With the coaching conduct in the NHL under review, what about player conduct? I have doubts that coaches are the only ones who were verbally abusive. I wonder what Messier's leadership is like?

The rather disgusting story of Messier grabbing Kent Nilsson and throwing him into a locker and threatening to beat his face in if he didn't play harder has been celebrated as a 'positive' bit of the Messier lore for years.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
The laffs struggles bring joy to my heart. I remember when they signed Tavares I couldn't hear the end of it.

Reactions: Sneezy

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Crushing goal for Toronto to lose on
two players run into each on the power play

Rielly Broke his stoke so hard in frustration in broke into like 4 pieces. Thought he was going kill someone.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I hear this about teams in less than ideal cities to live in all the time, or teams that don't have the fanbase/money.. Arizona is the real deal, Florida is the real deal, Calgary is the real deal, Winnipeg is the real deal, Buffalo is real close to being the real deal. Fact is, teams like this very much struggle to put themselves over the hump. Players simply do not want to go there, you'd be amazed at what being able to attract players does for an organization. Not only can they not attract great players, they generally don't have the long history of success that make people passionate to play there or have the deep pockets. The trickle down effect of not having money or being a desirable location goes deep, right into player development. I mean florida didn't even have a goaltending coach as far as I remember. There are certain franchises destined to top out at good, get past a round or two, and fall back down and do it all over again.

Don't get me wrong, there can be an exception but I would never ever claim Arizona is the real deal, until the team is actually there and a contender. And even then, I would say it won't last long

I rolled my eyes when people said this about Winnipeg and Calgary. Winnipeg got close but look how long their window was, they were considered a contender for 2 years possibly and even then, were they truly one of the top teams, no, people just predicted they could upset due to their physical play. People bailed real quick on Winnipeg. I was with Ladd's friends when he was told the news about going to Winnipeg. Well lets just say, people want to get out. Regardless of the front they put on

Deep teams get far but you cannot win it all without true stars. Vegas will never win the cup until theyre lead by star players. People may think it could go either way, but all those upsets, they get to the finals and they never win it all. Carolina happens once every couple decades

Montreal will most likely have this issue for a long time, even despite them having a long history of success and a great fanbase. Canada and crazy hard winters. They need to draft superstars but won't because they continually overachieve. Then when they do, they have to somehow find a way to attract somebody to fill it out to win it all before people leave. Good luck, unless the players are french. They also only hire coaches based on being french, making it even more of an uphill battle.

Theres more to it than a being a good team. It's actually quite easy in this new NHL to simply get good, it's a whole other thing to be the real deal. You need the stars, you then need to find the additional parts in the window that you have with your stars. Simply having a team full of good players is not enough. Any team can sell and make some trades and be better for a couple years.

And arizona has been here before.

The thing is that some very good teams aren't going to win a SC in a 31 and soon to be 32 team league.

The comment about Arizona being the real deal was more a comment on how they are playing rather than calling them a dynasty.

That being said I agree with a lot here.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
The crazy thing about Arizona is that almost nobody on that team outside of the goalies is having a good statistical season. Stepan is on pace for like 25 points. Kessel for 11 goals. Keller for 48 points. OEL for under 30 points.

If some guys get hot, this is a team that could trend up rather than down, even despite their good start.

The crazy thing is that going into tonight's games the Yotes were exactly the league average on both the PP and the PK

That's crazy.

2019-20 NHL Summary | Hockey-Reference.com

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
The oilers have looked really unimpressive this past two weeks. We really shouldn’t have lost to them on Sunday. And they looked terrible on Saturday

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
The Senators from 1998-2009 had probably as good amount of talent there was.
Damn shame they never won the cup.
I won't forget the 2007-08 Senators from Christmas onwards. A slow-motion car crash. And I won't be convinced Pittsburgh didn't throw their last game of the regular season just to get Ottawa as their first-round opponent

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
I won't forget the 2007-08 Senators from Christmas onwards. A slow-motion car crash. And I won't be convinced Pittsburgh didn't throw their last game of the regular season just to get Ottawa as their first-round opponent

Something happened after Christmas, they just couldn't get it together.
The chemistry was gone, just like that. They traded for Cory Stillman that year to 'get playoff experience' and what not...

If I remember correctly, it took them the final game of the year to clinch a playoff spot.
Years prior, they clinched way ahead of time..

Reactions: Zombotron

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
go oilers go

tenor.gif

Reactions: mathonwy

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
The Pacific is a dogs breakfast. The Oilers are on top but they are not a very good team. There’s not a true contender in the Division which means that we have a decent shot at the playoffs if we can just play more consistently.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Why are people so obsessed in hating Subban and E. Kane
Nobody hates Subban, except for the fact his play has been terrible this season (weren't there posters here ,preferring him over Myers?)....Nobody hates Kane either, but his list of stupid off -ice antics haven't made him endearing.

Carnal

May 29, 2018
Good to see the Leafs get crushed in an embarrassing fashion by the Flyers. Helps distract from the long term plan of mediocrity layed out by Team Benning and the Buzz Killers....

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
Colour me skeptical on Arizona. Teams that rely so heavily on a system (with no one capable taking the reins offensively and producing well) are only slightly better than talented teams who don't seem to have a system. But they are on the right track.

I think they'll be a thorn but when the going gets tougher expect them to miss.

The Canucks are leaning towards the latter right now in terms of not being able to fall back into a reliable system and it's going to bite them.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
The rather disgusting story of Messier grabbing Kent Nilsson and throwing him into a locker and threatening to beat his face in if he didn't play harder has been celebrated as a 'positive' bit of the Messier lore for years.

Moose was a great player no doubt but he is really a poor example of a leader.

I really wonder how his career would have gone had he not had the fortune of coming out under the greatness of Gretzky.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Colour me skeptical on Arizona. Teams that rely so heavily on a system (with no one capable taking the reins offensively and producing well) are only slightly better than talented teams who don't seem to have a system. But they are on the right track.

I think they'll be a thorn but when the going gets tougher expect them to miss.

The Canucks are leaning towards the latter right now in terms of not being able to fall back into a reliable system and it's going to bite them.

Arizona actually have some really decent players and they won again tonight as did the Wild and Black Hawks.

Even Vegas and the Sharks got a point in their defeats tonight.

Dallas is up 2-0 and Calgary is tied with Buffalo.

At least the playoff race is going to be more exciting than I thought with only LA really being out of the mix this year.

Man how is Minny doing it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->