Prospect Info: The 2018 Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Hey get real. Your hate on for Boqvist is getting hilarious. Nurse was a great defensive defenseman in the CHL too. Doesnt stop him from making 2 boneheaded plays per game defensively in the NHL. It's all between your eyes in the NHL. If you have the skill and IQ...your game translates well in the NHL. Oilers dont need to be looking for the "safe" pick. They need to be looking for the best available player on defense at 10.

And what did I say about Nurse when he played in the CHL? Poor hockey IQ and its followed him. He's gotten better, but the Pronger comparisons were out of hand on this board at the time. How many people on this board still give me heck for saying Nurse wasnt a top pairing elite dman?

I maintain Im not happy with Boqvist's improvement over the year, and am concerned about how he plays the game. IMO he's not even close to NHL ready.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
I cant imagine Boqvist being available when we pick.

Thinking long-term, would Dobson be the best fit for the team going forward? 6’3” RH who can play in all situations, exceptional skater, but with offensive limitations. Are we talking a RH Jay Bouwmeester or is he a Brandon Gormley?? If we project Ethan Bear as the RH PP QB on the 3rd pair, maybe Dobson sucking up 25 flawless minutes wouldn’t hurt.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
I cant imagine Boqvist being available when we pick.

Thinking long-term, would Dobson be the best fit for the team going forward? 6’3” RH who can play in all situations, exceptional skater, but with offensive limitations. Are we talking a RH Jay Bouwmeester or is he a Brandon Gormley?? If we project Ethan Bear as the RH PP QB on the 3rd pair, maybe Dobson sucking up 25 flawless minutes wouldn’t hurt.

sounds like Larsson to be honest

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
It's a lot harder to find a second line center than a second line winger.
First of all, we already have a 2nd line center locked up for the next 7 years. Secondly Barrett Hayton doesn't have the offensive tools, namely skating, to play 2nd line at the NHL level. Most of the players with poor footspeed like him end up as bottom 6 grinders.
sounds like Larsson to be honest
Honestly a Larsson with better skating but worse physicality is probably a good comparison for Dobson. Would definitely pick him at 10 since he wont cost us Taylor Hall.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
First of all, we already have a 2nd line center locked up for the next 7 years. Secondly Barrett Hayton doesn't have the offensive tools, namely skating, to play 2nd line at the NHL level. Most of the players with poor footspeed like him end up as bottom 6 grinders.

Honestly a Larsson with better skating but worse physicality is probably a good comparison for Dobson. Would definitely pick him at 10 since he wont cost us Taylor Hall.
I thought Dobson had a lot more offense than a guy like Larsson?

jlockhart89

Humboldt Strong
Jul 16, 2004
Humboldt, SK
What would it cost us to move up from 10 to 8 or 9 with Chicago/New York? I'm starting to get my head around either of those teams preferring the centers, but I worry one of the teams behind us might leap frog us in a trade knowing we'd take a defenseman.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
If anyone wants to watch Dobson the game will be on TVA sports tonight at 430

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
What would it cost us to move up from 10 to 8 or 9 with Chicago/New York? I'm starting to get my head around either of those teams preferring the centers, but I worry one of the teams behind us might leap frog us in a trade knowing we'd take a defenseman.
I’d rather just a player fall than move up 1 or 2 spots.

McKappa

philip bruhberg
Oct 16, 2011
Edmonton
It's a lot harder to find a second line center than a second line winger.
It'll also be a lot harder for Barret Hayton to become a second liner than Brady Tkachuk, they aren't in the same stratosphere when it comes to offensive skill.

Brady Tkachuk is getting seriously underrated on these boards.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

Then you have a second line center on your third line or a second line winger who can slide over to center when needed.

I feel like I'm already beating a dead horse in regards to Hayton, so I'll just say if you think a player who is ranked 10-15 in most places has 3rd line upside at best, you've got a skewed view of the player.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
It'll also be a lot harder for Barret Hayton to become a second liner than Brady Tkachuk, they aren't in the same stratosphere when it comes to offensive skill.

Brady Tkachuk is getting seriously underrated on these boards.

A statement like that makes me think you're looking far more at numbers than play on the ice.

rambo97

Jan 2, 2018
I thought Dobson had a lot more offense than a guy like Larsson?

He does. Larsson is a crappy comparison. Dobson has much better offense and rushes the puck up a lot. He jumps into the attack much more than Larsson ever has (including when he was back in Sweden).

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
He does. Larsson is a crappy comparison. Dobson has much better offense and rushes the puck up a lot. He jumps into the attack much more than Larsson ever has (including when he was back in Sweden).

Cool.

I guess reading that id say dobson is the better fit.

Looks like bouchard had> 10goals in the paint I assume rushing the puck. Which I would think we dont need a d going end to end to score....but then again.....yeah we do.....and ive heard bouchards best asset may be passing.

rambo97

Jan 2, 2018
Raab your being way to hard on Boqvist. I was posting against Boqvist before it was popular to on this board (when every body loved him).

But even I can acknowledge the kids skills are out of this world. He is probably the best PP QB in the draft (him or Bouchard). His shot (wrist and slap) and skating are elite. I prefer Hughes, Dobson (and Bouchard) over him but let's not get carried away. His physical package of skills is very impressive and he's right in the conversation with those 3. It's a toss up between the 4 who will be better long term. Boqvist is the youngest of the 4 as well. There is lots of room for growth and development (for all 4 of them).

At worst he's a better offensive version of Justin Faulk. I just question how good he will be outside of PP QB. I think at worst he's a #6 (shelter him on defense) and let him run your PP. But he definitely has #1 potential as well. The reason I was anti Boqvist earlier was that I felt there was way to much love for him without acknowledging his drawbacks. I also hated the Erik Karlsson references (Boqvist I'm pretty sure will be an elite PP QB but he's not EK and EK isn't just lethal on the PP).

Reactions: dustrock and Aerrol

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
It works both ways though. If Chicago or the Rangers want a center how much is it going to take for them to risk not getting the guy the want? If they move back to 12/13/14 they're risking having two of the centers they're looking at be picked already and might be left with a their last option of the 3. To me it's not worthwhile to move up, sit at 10 and let those teams do what they want. If they want a C and let one of the dmen drop to us great, if not I guess the worst case scenario is having to draft Kotkaniemi which isn't a bad option at all.

BigTime99

Mar 27, 2014
Tkachuk says he is going back to University for the 2018-2019 season. Will that affect his draft status? Will he drop slightly?

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Its not about size, it's about his development curve and IQ.

So now Boqvist doesn't have good hockey IQ? Are you just making stuff up or...? Pretty much everything you've faulted Boqvist for is just wrong.

I have half a mind to create a video just to disapprove what you say and show all or at least some of the things Boqvist actually does well. The things people like you probably don't even notice or are too biased to acknowledge.

Reactions: Aerrol

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Then you have a second line center on your third line or a second line winger who can slide over to center when needed.

I feel like I'm already beating a dead horse in regards to Hayton, so I'll just say if you think a player who is ranked 10-15 in most places has 3rd line upside at best, you've got a skewed view of the player.

Brady Tkachuk will most likely play in the NHL next year. Barret Hayton may never play in the NHL. Has quite a bit of developing to do. They're not even close in value as Hayton's upside isnt higher then Tkachuk's, so you take the player whos more developed. If you want to talk centers over Tkachuk you could look at Kotkaniemi or Kupari. Kotkaniemi is close to NHL ready as well, and Kupari has unreal upside but needs to be developed.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Raab your being way to hard on Boqvist. I was posting against Boqvist before it was popular to on this board (when every body loved him).

But even I can acknowledge the kids skills are out of this world. He is probably the best PP QB in the draft (him or Bouchard). His shot (wrist and slap) and skating are elite. I prefer Hughes, Dobson (and Bouchard) over him but let's not get carried away. His physical package of skills is very impressive and he's right in the conversation with those 3. It's a toss up between the 4 who will be better long term. Boqvist is the youngest of the 4 as well. There is lots of room for growth and development (for all 4 of them).

At worst he's a better offensive version of Justin Faulk. I just question how good he will be outside of PP QB. I think at worst he's a #6 (shelter him on defense) and let him run your PP. But he definitely has #1 potential as well. The reason I was anti Boqvist earlier was that I felt there was way to much love for him without acknowledging his drawbacks. I also hated the Erik Karlsson references (Boqvist I'm pretty sure will be an elite PP QB but he's not EK and EK isn't just lethal on the PP).

I dont see how Im being hard on him by saying I dont think he's worth taking in the top 5. IMO Hughes and Dobson have separated themselves from Bouchard and Boqvist. Out of that group I have Boqvist the lowest due to his development curve. I wont mind if we take him at 10, but people need to understand he's falling for a reason. I think the group of Wahlstrom, Kotkaniemi, Boqvist is very close and one of them IMO will be an Oiler.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
So now Boqvist doesn't have good hockey IQ? Are you just making stuff up or...? Pretty much everything you've faulted Boqvist for is just wrong.

I have half a mind to create a video just to disapprove what you say and show all or at least some of the things Boqvist actually does well. The things people like you probably don't even notice or are too biased to acknowledge.

Im not a fan of his game, and think he's going to have a hard time translating over to the NHL. People get to defensive, Boqvist is still a good prospect, but IMO he could slide for the reasons I stated.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
I dont see how Im being hard on him by saying I dont think he's worth taking in the top 5. IMO Hughes and Dobson have separated themselves from Bouchard and Boqvist. Out of that group I have Boqvist the lowest due to his development curve. I wont mind if we take him at 10, but people need to understand he's falling for a reason. I think the group of Wahlstrom, Kotkaniemi, Boqvist is very close and one of them IMO will be an Oiler.

Just like Filip Forsberg was falling for a reason, right? :P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad