Prospect Info: The 2018 Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
cut.jpg

Never too early to talk draft, right? ;)

This is where I preamble about how this isn't a thread to talk about the Oilers position in the 2017-2018 standings. But things have changed and we're awesome now, so I don't have to worry about the disgruntled moaning about the teams misfortunes in the standings. This is a thread to discuss the 2018 NHL Entry Draft from an Oilers-centric view point. We got a good group of draft nerds and it makes us all smarter when we geek out together.

A quick and dirty glance at the prospect pool:

CENTER: J. Gambardella, J. Khaira, A. Rasanen, K. Platzer, H. Samuelsson

LEFT WING: T. Benson, J. LaLeggia, O. Safin

RIGHT WING: J. Puljujarvi, K. Yamamoto, K. Maksimov, G. Chase, P. Russell

LEFT DEFENSE: C. Jones, Z. Paigin, D. Samorukov, D. Simpson, W. Lagesson, M. Niemalainen

RIGHT DEFENSE: E. Bear, R. Mantha, F. Berglund, J. Marino

GOALTENDER: L. Brossoit, D. Wells, S. Skinner, N. Ellis, S. Starrett

• Netminders - well stocked, don't see us spending high draft capital bullets for a draft or two.

• Right Handed Shots - Still light on righties, should keep adding with offense flowing from 97 & 29.

• Offensive Center Depth - We're thin down the middle and while we're elite heavy on the big club, good organizations don't let center depth become a problem. We need our Ryan Spooner.

• The Blueline - The Leftorium is more balanced, still need to focus on RHD over LHD, but in general we need more sure bets to become Top-4 Defenseman

---

Doing some quick reconnaissance, the early indications are that this is a deep class of some real quality blueliners. There aren't many centers, and even fewer right handed centers at this time. Appear to be many wingers touted for the top of the draft as well.

[fieldset=12 MONTHS BEFORE THE 2018 NHL ENTRY DRAFT]

FORWARDS

Andrei Svechnikov (USHL) - Russian left shot RW. Was the Projected #1 till Dahlin.

Joe Veleno (QMJHL) - Canadian LHC. Granted exceptional status in the Q but doesn't sound like he has the same shine as the other exceptional status guys (better than Day though). Falling? Still a Top-10?

Brady Tkachuk (USDP) - American LW/C. Matt's brother and every bit a similar player. I think he'll end up Top-15 if not Top-10, but I don't think he's as hyped as his brother. Would love to add him to the organization...

Allan McShane (OHL) - LHC from the Oshawa Generals. Was Erie's crown jewel they moved for Anthony Cierelli

Ryan McLeod (OHL) - Playmaking LHC from the Mississauga Steelheads. Younger brother of Michael McLeod. Has the wheels, was named in this years OHL coaches poll as a top playmaker in the league.

Jack McBain (???) - He's following the Andrew Cogliano development path where he's playing in a lesser Greater Toronto Area hockey league and plans to go the college perhaps? He's a 6'3 LHC.

Akil Thomas (OHL) - RHC from the Niagara Ice Dogs, teammate (linemate?) of Kirill Maksimov. Offensive catalyst, speed, skill, vision, dangerous off the rush.

Ty Dellandrea (OHL) - RHC playing for the Flint Firebirds. He excelled in a scoring role and has been described as a big center by Brock Otten but it looks like he tops the scales at 6'1. Otten is high on him.

Oliver Wahlstrom (NCAA) - 6'1 RHC dual citizen SWE/USA. Committed to Harvard University, he's a shooter for the most part, two-way guy, and has consistently been the one of the better players of his age group.

---

LEFTY DEFENSEMEN

Rasmus Dahlin (SHL) - Swedish LHD. The next Erik Karlsson. Projected #1, I think he has it firmly entrenched.

Jared McIsaac (QMJHL) - 6̢۪2 LHD Halifax Mooseheads

Mattias Samuelsson (NCAA) - Univ. of Michigan 6̢۪3 LHD

Quinton Hughes (NCAA) - Univ. of Michigan, 5̢۪9 super undersized, playmaking OFD

Ty Smith (WHL) - 5̢۪11 LHD Spokane Chief, Yamamoto's teammate

---

RIGHTY DEFENSEMEN

Bode Wilde (NCAA) - 6̢۪2 Dual citizenship CAN/USA from Montreal going to Harvard

Ryan Merkley (OHL) - 5̢۪11 Guelph Storm, Samorukov teammate (partner?), offensive catalyst from the blueline, developing defensive game... is he more Anthony DeAngelo or Drew Doughty?

Evan Bouchard (OHL) - 6̢۪2 RHD London Knights

Adam Boqvist (SHL) - 5̢۪11 Swede has lots of offense. "Boqvist is a confident, puck moving blueliner. Solid and efficient skater who keeps the game simple. Plays the point very well and keeps pucks in at the line. Very active stick at both ends and very active feet that help him contain the attack. Thinks the game at a high level and is a potential top four, two-way defender. Size is his only drawback." - FutureConsiderations

Jett Woo (WHL) - 6̢۪0 Canadian Moose Jaw Warrior. A less-is-more Dumba with a much better defensive game. Defensive rock? Offensive consistency issues. Excellent physical tools and quick skater up the ice with the puck rush.

Xavier Bouchard (QMJHL) - 6̢۪2 RHD. Son of HC of RN Huskies. Coachable. Good skater, high IQ, puck skills, needs to add muscle.

[/fieldset]

Feels like this will be a draft year where I keep a master list and a separate master list for blueliners. Really intrigued by the blueline crop and I think this is the year we take a RHD with our 1st round pick (pretty sure I said this last year as well).

For the Oilers, I'm gonna keep an eye on the right handed centers (Thomas, Dellandrea, Wahlstrom) as well as blueliners that may be there at the end of the 1st round *cough* available at 31st OV *cough* (Woo, X. Bouchard, maybe Smith?).

We've been through three Chiarelli drafts and trends are emerging. We should be prepared to draft the best Edmonton hockey product in the draft class with our second pick. We're inevitably taking a left handed defenseman with a mid-round pick. Don't bother hoping for a guy still on your list from the 3rd round, we're taking Jack DeBoer with our 6th rounder. Bloodlines!

Who are you interested in for the 2018 NHL Entry Draft?

Last edited:

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Looks to be another solid year for the OHL with Ryan Merkley, Akil Thomas, David Levin, Evan Bouchard, Ryan McLeod, Ty Dellandrea, Allan McShane, Giovanni Vallati, etc.

Last edited:

SpoolCat

Mar 1, 2016
Lots of offensive defensemen and wingers in this draft should be interesting to see how things shake out.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
If we keep this pick we're gonna get a good player I'm sure. There looks to be incredible depth in this draft. I'd absolutely love Adam Boqvist, but he's an elite talent and should be gone by the top15 at minimum. Top10 pick in my eyes as it stands right now.

I'd be happy to settle for Jett Woo or Akil Thomas though. I'd love to get some scouting reports on these guys. Woo really impressed me in U17/U18's with heady decision-making and good puck-moving abilities, and Thomas looks like an electric offensive player. Reminds me of Ho-Sang a little, but maybe more of a shooter.

From Sweden one name to keep an eye on is Jacob Olofsson. 6'2 smooth-skating center with good hockey IQ. He plays a very mature game for his age, didn't look out of place at all in SuperElit last season. Think he has upside as a two-way #1C. With a strong draft year he'll go top10.

Another name that wasn't mentioned in OP is Isac Lundeström. Late '99 played 45 games in SHL this year. Decent size at 6'1, 185lbs, very good skater, hard worker. Probably doesn't have elite offensive upside, but could be a solid 2nd line C or, more likely, LW in the NHL. Expect him to be drafted late in the 1st as it stands right now, so should be available for us.

Also, Quinton Hughes is very entertaining to watch. When he's on, he can really take over an entire game by himself. Will be curious to see how he develops in college next year. Looks like a potential elite talent, but his size will probably drop him. Don't think we'll draft him, but he's fun to watch with his skill and skating. He can really rush the puck.

suddeninterest

Aug 19, 2014
Well if we are gonna be picking 31st for our 1st rounder, the best we can do is hope someone drops I suppose.

There seems to be several great defensive prospects for the 2018 draft, and I would like an offensive RD with our 1st rounder.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Akil Thomas is a prospect to watch. If his speed improves he will be a star. As for OP, he likely won't play on the same line as Maximov.

oil Leaks

The Ultimate Decoy
Jul 5, 2011
Players of interest:
Defence: Ty Smith, Ty Emberson, Calen Addison , Jared McIsaac
Fowards: Joe Veleno (doubt hes available at 31), Anderson MacDonald, Ryan McLeod, Jake Wise

Last edited:

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Hope we end up with Evan Bouchard. The guy's outstanding. Mean and moves the puck well.

Oilyveins97*

Jun 11, 2017
Manitoba
Maybe a future #1 D man will fall to us like what happened to the Leafs. I would love to add a future Karlsson to our blueline

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
And with the 1st overall selection from the NYI previously acquired from the Calgary Flames The NYI are proud to select from Frolunda SHL Rasmus Dahlin

suddeninterest

Aug 19, 2014
And with the 1st overall selection from the NYI previously acquired from the Calgary Flames The NYI are proud to select from Frolunda SHL Rasmus Dahlin

That would be epic. Huge risk trading a 1st round pick that early. All it would take is Ari or LA overachieving, an injury/bad season from Smith and/or Giordano/Brodie and they could miss the playoffs.

Same thing could happen with us too if McDavid or Talbot were to go down. Would not like my team trading a 1st rounder that far away, so many things could happen.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

Oh man thatd be awesome

Dahlin is going to be insane. Last 4 drafts well have McDavid, Eichel, Matthews, Laine, Dahlin, Yamamoto :)naughty:) enter the NHL. Great times ahead for the league. Especially after some hit or miss years from 2006-2014

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
So if anyone's interested I've started a YouTube channel posting highlights from swedish prospects for the 2018 draft. Probably gonna post new videos every week more or less. Already got a bunch up and more coming. It's nothing fancy but just for people to get a better look on prospects this side of the pond :)

Here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCi3FxVYHjj-5tq89eM0bYig/videos

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I'm going to go out on a limb and say I want the Oilers to draft Dahlin, he might be pretty good.

Also any of Bode (brah) Wilde , Jett Woo or Allen (Ian) McShane.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I mean can we get Jet Woo and Milan Lucic on the ice hitting at the same time?

The crowd would be amazing.

Jepprey

Creeper
May 25, 2006
Quite a few good D out there in '18, I would lean towards a skilled LW or offensive D.

If we are picking 31st, maybe some left wing help like Anderson MacDonald.

6'2 200+ and pretty good in the slot. I like his ability to find the back of the net.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Andrei Svechnikov signs with the Barrie Colts in the OHL.

Should be fun to watch him with Alex Lipanov(2017 TBL 3rd rounder) and Ryan Suzuki(1st overall in the OHL draft) next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->