GDT: The 2017 Stanley Cup Finals Bandwagon Thread

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
By giving us a chance to win, you mean playing your own half most of the night and scoring on very opportunistic chances, because that was Pittsburgh to a T in this series.

And Cooper when we played the Penguins.

Nah Cooper's system is getting dominated by teams with weaker players then you. Pittsburgh wins with a defense headlined by Justin Schutlz.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Pittsburgh wins with an officiating crew headlined by asshats who hand them games on a silver platter.

I wish I could say the NHL will change that BS whistle blowing rule and the offside rule, but since it cost Nashville, not Montreal, they won't.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
By giving us a chance to win, you mean playing your own half most of the night with one off rushes that lead to no offensive pressure and scoring on very opportunistic chances, because that was Pittsburgh to a T for a very large portion of this series.

You could also use that to describe how a lot of our series went with Cooper when we played the Penguins.

Against the Pengiuns sure, they were a better team so you're going to get shelled and out possessed by a better team - like Nashville did to Pittsburgh not sure why I have to explain this. The Pittsburgh series isn't excatly an argument against Cooper, he did well with what he had.

So how do you go from taking the cup champs to game 7 without Stamkos, Bishop and an broken Stralman to missing the playoffs completely?

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Pittsburgh wins with an officiating crew headlined by asshats who hand them games on a silver platter.

I wish I could say the NHL will change that BS whistle blowing rule and the offside rule, but since it cost Nashville, not Montreal, they won't.

Exactly, which is why Pittsburgh has won every year since Crosby has entered the league, damn refs handing them cups.

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013
Nah Cooper's system is getting dominated by teams with weaker players then you. Pittsburgh wins with a defense headlined by Justin Schutlz.

The only team you could say we were dominated by was Pittsburgh. Again making me question how much you actually watch.

I could say Sullivan's team was dominated by an offense who's second best player was Victor Arvidsson or James Neal. Pretty bad.

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013
Against the Pengiuns sure, they were a better team so you're going to get shelled and out possessed by a better team - like Nashville did to Pittsburgh not sure why I have to explain this. The Pittsburgh series isn't excatly an argument against Cooper, he did well with what he had.

So how do you go from taking the cup champs to game 7 without Stamkos, Bishop and an broken Stralman to missing the playoffs completely?

So you agree Nashville played better. Which is what I've been saying. Not sure why you had to explain that to me either.

All I'm saying, is if you take out Cooper on those teams and inserted Sullivan, I'm very confident we'd see similar outcomes judging from how these playoffs have went. This goes more to the team complaceny within the players area then coaching.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
So you agree Nashville played better. Which is what I've been saying. Not sure why you had to explain that to me either.

All I'm saying, is if you take out Cooper on those teams and inserted Sullivan, I'm very confident we'd see similar outcomes judging from how these playoffs have went. This goes more to the team complaceny within the players area then coaching.

No way man. Our talent was the biggest reason why we won. Coop is the biggest reason we lost. Don't you know how it works?

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Crazy series when you think about it. There was a a lot of drama after game 1 (blown calls and whatnot). Four of the six games have been severe blowouts one way or the other (4-1, 1-5, 1-4, 6-0). It's been close, what, one game out of six?

Maelmoor

Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
Tough luck for Preds, was hoping they could at least take it to game seven but they had a great season over all.

To win the cup, you need luck and bounces with you, that's part of it but there is no denying that the Pens are a really good team.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

I disagree entirely, if it were that easy how come the Penguins under Mike Johnston or Bylsma never played to the tempo as the Penguins under Sullivan?

Why do we spend half the year questioning why our team has such troubles sustaining offense when we are without a doubt an offensive minded team.

Pittsburgh has their flaws defensively but I don't see their fan base complaining about not being able to score goals (their strength) for half a season like we have the previous 2 years.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
The only team you could say we were dominated by was Pittsburgh. Again making me question how much you actually watch.

I could say Sullivan's team was dominated by an offense who's second best player was Victor Arvidsson or James Neal. Pretty bad.

I question how much you watch considering one of Nashville's biggest strengths is their defenseman being able to transition from defense to offense like no other in the league. Kinda helps in pushing offense with a top-4 all being mobile and great puck movers no?

I thought this would be glaringly obvious to a lightning fan considering transition from the backend has been a topic on this board for the last 3 years.

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013
I disagree entirely, if it were that easy how come the Penguins under Mike Johnston or Bylsma never played to the tempo as the Penguins under Sullivan?

Why do we spend half the year questioning why our team has such troubles sustaining offense when we are without a doubt an offensive minded team.

Pittsburgh has their flaws defensively but I don't see their fan base complaining about not being able to score goals (their strength) for half a season like we have the previous 2 years.

Slow and trapped in your own end is the tempo you must be speaking of, because that is what they were this playoff. Opportunistic, yes, but they did not dictate any sort of sustainable tempo this year. Night and day from last years run.

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013
I question how much you watch considering one of Nashville's biggest strengths is their defenseman being able to transition from defense to offense like no other in the league. Kinda helps in pushing offense with a top-4 all being mobile and great puck movers no?

I thought this would be glaringly obvious to a lightning fan considering transition from the backend has been a topic on this board for the last 3 years.

And when you're best offensive players are on the back end, it's a problem. Like I said, no Johansen, Forsberg disappearing act, and they still managed to keep the Penguins in their own zone way more then they should have.

Penguins D was nothing special, but they still had most from last year playing besides Letang. And yes they have a good transition, but sustaining play on the inside is just as dependent on the forwards as it is on a pinching-smart defense core. Penguins showed very little of it, they were one and done more often then not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad