Prospect Info: The 2016 Draft Thread [Draft Lottery April 30th]

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013
i also though griff was a reach at 4, i think Chychurn is the best D prospect in the draft. if we have the option to pick 4-6 and hes there you have to take him imo.

He wasn't exactly a reach because he was ranked around there all year. I just never agreed with it.
Yet Reinhart played at the highest levels of Junior and was a huge part of the teams.

He still can be a top4 dman, will he be? I guess we will find out in the near future.

He played on an excellent team and had the tools to be solid against kids but I never felt he would translate that well to the pro level. Could he be a top 4 defender? Sure he could, as could Brandon Davidson but based on his progression I doubt it. IMO he doesn't look much better than he did last year and definitely doesn't look overly improved from the start of the season.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Based on what I've recently heard, switch those 2 groups around. Many are now saying Dubois>Tkachuk, while reports from scouts now appear to becoming out rating Juolevi over Chychrun

I mean, it depends on who you listen to. I think the more credible ones have Chychrun and Tkachuk still as 4-5 altough it seems indeed Juolevi is climbing for some reason. Obviously Dubois has been talked about a lot as a potential top4 pick, not least by myself, but he has still been universally ranked lower than that by most scouts, altough Button just had him at #4 but Button is Button and his lists are not meant to be consensus. Basically, all the guys that follow OHL closely like Brock Otten and everyone else has Chychrun as the unanimous top defenseman. Tkachuk hasn't really fallen from his top4-5 position either. It might change in the coming months though, I don't know...

No question, my point is that it's annoying there aren't very high end defensive prospects in this draft.

No one challenging to be picked #1, 2 or 3.

I mean, it depends what you mean with high end defensive prospects. Juolevi/Sergachyov/Chychrun are all high end but none of them project as a Doughty for instance. Chychrun was #2 for half the year pretty much though and has drawn lots and lots of comparisons to Ekblad in terms of ability. I think all of those guys are pretty safe bets to be top4 d-men in the NHL and all of them have #1 potential, Serg and Chychrun moreso than Juolevi IMO. They're basically the same tier as Jones/Risto/Nurse as prospects, and at least one of them looks like a #1 (Risto) and Jones might get there too.

So...to say that they aren't high end would be wrong. You could basically compare Risto to Juolevi with their calm and smarts, Jones to Chychrun for their athletic ability, size, mobility and all-around game and Nurse to Sergachyov as they are both a little bit of wildcards in terms of having the biggest upside but being a bit more risky.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
I could see Chychrun falling in a similar manner to how Cam Fowler fell in the Hall/Seguin draft. As I recall, he was pretty much the consensus 3rd overall selection in that draft for much of the year until the latter part of the year when he started to dip, and on draft day he fell right out of the top 10.

Gretzkyforever99

Dec 28, 2014
Great White North
saw Chychrun play in Minor Midget AAA, had no idea who he was at the time but was blown away by him. With his size and strength at that level he completely dominated in all facets of the game. He was the #1 pick in the OHL a couple of months later. scouts were drooling over him at the game that I was at. I even remember some projecting him as a potential #1 for this year's NHL draft.

some of the luster seems to have faded away from him but he has offensive upside and will only fill out more.

Last season he scored 16 goals as on OHL rookie despite only playing in 42 games due to a shoulder injury. So i guess his numbers were projecting up and for some reason they just haven't. 11 goals this season in 62 games.

No way that he is ready for the NHL for at least 3 years...so maybe it's better to move this pick for NHL ready d-men?

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013
saw Chychrun play in Minor Midget AAA, had no idea who he was at the time but was blown away by him. With his size and strength at that level he completely dominated in all facets of the game. He was the #1 pick in the OHL a couple of months later. scouts were drooling over him at the game that I was at. I even remember some projecting him as a potential #1 for this year's NHL draft.

some of the luster seems to have faded away from him but he has offensive upside and will only fill out more.

Last season he scored 16 goals as on OHL rookie despite only playing in 42 games due to a shoulder injury. So i guess his numbers were projecting up and for some reason they just haven't. 11 goals this season in 62 games.

No way that he is ready for the NHL for at least 3 years...so maybe it's better to move this pick for NHL ready d-men

He is essentially NHL ready, probably one of the most ready prospects in the draft (obviously Matthews too). Though I would like to see him in the O one more season.

I could see Chychrun falling in a similar manner to how Cam Fowler fell in the Hall/Seguin draft. As I recall, he was pretty much the consensus 3rd overall selection in that draft for much of the year until the latter part of the year when he started to dip, and on draft day he fell right out of the top 10.

Cam Fowler was the consensus 3rd pick for much of the year yes but he had a lot of flaws in his game, especially his DZ play. He also played on a stacked team.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Who do you go with at #3?

Chychrun, Puljujarvi, Dubois or Juolevi?

I am not 100% I would go Puljujarvi. Two other decent defenceman. Dubois is legit also.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Chychrun is sitting at 9th according to button

Didn't Button also shuttle Hanifin way down?

Edit - Yep.

His April list from last year:

McDavid
Eichel
Strome
Marner
Provorov
Werenski
Connor
Boeser
Meier
Chabot
Crouse
Hanifin

Though to his credit he did have both Ethan Bear going high 3rd (67) and Ziyat Paigin going mid 3rd (77).

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Who do you go with at #3?

Chychrun, Puljujarvi, Dubois or Juolevi?

I am not 100% I would go Puljujarvi. Two other decent defenceman. Dubois is legit also.

Dubois is my boy. Size (already 6'3, 202) mean (112 PIM) versatility (listed as a C but can play anywhere) scoring, good in all three zones, not afraid to go to the dirty areas. Literally the only drawback I can see on him is he's another left shot.

I think he'd be phenomenal on McDavid's wing. Button's playstyle comparable is Jamie Benn.

Uh, yes ****ing please.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Dubois is my boy. Size (already 6'3, 202) mean (112 PIM) versatility (listed as a C but can play anywhere) scoring, good in all three zones, not afraid to go to the dirty areas. Literally the only drawback I can see on him is he's another left shot.

I think he'd be phenomenal on McDavid's wing. Button's playstyle comparable is Jamie Benn.

Uh, yes ****ing please.

Dubiuos sounds almost too perfect to me (assuming we miss out on top 3). But I am still kind of worried about Q factor. Most hyped guys from Q dont live up to it. Not a reason to not pick him, but a reason to be cautious. Maybe if some team is REALLY clamouring for PLD you trade that pick for a established D

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
Your feelings heading into this year's Draft Lottery?

This year I get the overall sense that Oiler fans just aren't feeling all too excited about another potential top draft pick. In previous years, most fans were all onboard tanking and cheering for the best possible lottery results. This year theres hardly any mention of tanking or cheering for other bottom teams to win. I know after lucking out and winning the McDavid Lottery combined with all the other 1st overall picks, the excitement of this year's lottery is just not there for me. Maybe a feeling of embarrassment of being in this position year after year is starting to creep up too. Is this the general feeling among most Oiler fans?

tsnTpoint

Apr 2, 2010
I find it very surprising Chychrun only has 11 goals this year. From the few videos I have watched, he looks to have an absolute cannon of a slap shot.

Right now I don't even want to consider another forward. This team will never go anywhere unless we can get that #1/2 guy. They are very rare and basically don't exist in the trade market.

Say all you want about drafting BPA, but in the 4+ spot (for us) that had better be a defensemen. Lets see how Chychrun plays in his first OHL playoffs.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
The best would be for Oiler fans to just go "meh" if they win it. Add some fuel to the fire the silent way.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
It just pails in comparison with the McDavid lottery for me. Plus the fact that I don't think we'll actually use the pick makes me less excited about it.

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
I'm pretty desensitized about the whole thing. I'll watch it but I have no doubt that this will be my reaction if we win again this year.

sWiS2.gif

JJTopper

Registered Creeper
Jul 11, 2002
Visit site
This year I get the overall sense that Oiler fans just aren't feeling all too excited about another potential top draft pick. In previous years, most fans were all onboard tanking and cheering for the best possible lottery results. This year theres hardly any mention of tanking or cheering for other bottom teams to win. I know after lucking out and winning the McDavid Lottery combined with all the other 1st overall picks, the excitement of this year's lottery is just not there for me. Maybe a feeling of embarrassment of being in this position year after year is starting to creep up too. Is this the general feeling among most Oiler fans?

I'm 100% with you. Zero excitement.

The only thing I'm looking forward to at the draft are potential trades. The thought of adding Matthews is very underwhelming. It's a reminder that we STILL suck and doesn't address our team needs. If we did manage to win the lottery, I'd have no problem moving that pick for a #1 Dman TBH.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

kws1.gif

Honestly not even that pumped. Some great prospects no doubt, but at the stage we are at, draft lotto and draft is meh. If we get Matthews ill be pumped. If we get a Finn ill be pumped, but im half expecting them to bust like Yak.

Also feels of embarassment

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
It's frustrating to be in the position we are in so definitely less excitement. That said, if you're bad you might as well be in a good position heading into the lottery. If we somehow win the 1st pick again we have many more options to work with this off-season. Not to mention, it would be absolutely hilarious.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I blame the league entirely for the ****** product that is falling from the league-anus.

But if we win again it will break hockey and you have to point the finger at Katz.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Im almost cheering for a lotto loss so its a 4th-6th overall pick and forces Chia to trade it for a D. No way he trades a top 2 pick.

Plus it seems every time hockey gods bless us with a lotto pick they punish us with a season ending injury to a top player or 2, and also league low PDO year over year

Ill gladly loss all 3 lotto spots for a healthy team next year and maybe 101.1 PDO next season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad