Post-Game Talk: The 2015 IIHF World Men Championships [1st: CAN 2nd: RUS 3rd:USA]

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Buccigross confirmed that Eichel was going to the tournament, but he also mentioned that Red Wing were going to play against Montreal as we'll. So....

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Buccigross confirmed that Eichel was going to the tournament, but he also mentioned that Red Wing were going to play against Montreal as we'll. So....

Would love to see Eichel go. Gaudreau went last year, would be nice for teams to see just how he stacks against pro competition before drafting him.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
If Varlamov plays, I wouldn't mind Russia winning. He more than any other Avs player deserve a happy ending.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
If Varlamov plays, I wouldn't mind Russia winning. He more than any other Avs player deserve a happy ending.

I'd prefer Duchene to win, he needs it more for his confidence. Plus he would add to his international resume. He's got olympic gold, sprengler cup and U-18 gold already.

In fact Varlamov, Landeskog, Iginla and Hejda all have WC gold. Its surprisimg that Tanguay never represented Canada. It think he would do well if they need him and he wants to go.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
All you need to do is skim the list until you see Mike Smith. Even how powerful, loaded, or talented any team can get, they cannot win Gold with bad goaltending, this years Mike Smith has been LNAH bad.

Didn't Canada have a team of this caliber a couple years ago and still lose? Can't trust either Canada or USA in this type of tourney IMO.

I think they can still name 2 more goalies, no guarantee Smith will be the starter. The 1st round ends before the WC begin. There is going to be a lot of goalies to choose from.

Last edited:

Hesher

Sagan for President
Jan 22, 2013
Slovakia
Looks like Canada is going to have a great roster. Hoping for a Canada vs Russia/Czech Rep. final.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Also said that Landeskog says his Exit Interview/Physical will determine if he plays for Sweden.
Maybe it's nothing, but I don't like the sound of that. A lot of guys had to have surgery over the summer last year and I think it might have played a role in the slow start. That's just me, though.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Maybe it's nothing, but I don't like the sound of that. A lot of guys had to have surgery over the summer last year and I think it might have played a role in the slow start. That's just me, though.

He did say in an interview on a Swedish site:

"It was a slow start, both for me and for the team. After Christmas I started feeling better both physically and mentally. I gained some confidence. I started getting some ugly goals and that adds to the confidence. The physical play got better and better after the all-star break.

I feel I was too sluggish at the start of the season. I normally am but it was worse this year. It's something I have to think about next season, to get a better start
."

About the WC:

"I have to say I would like to play. But I have like everyone else my body and my health to consider. I feel like there are some think I have to discuss with the doctors this spring but if I am healthy I would like to play. Especially as the season was short and we missed the playoffs"

It's possible he has some nagging problem he's been dealing with. Also worth considering is when Swedish NHLers don't want to play in the WC they prefer to have their teams say no so they don't have to deal with complaints that they're letting their country down.

Khokhlach86

Jul 8, 2012
Moscow
Press officer Russia national team said today: "We spoke with Varlamov, he wants to come to World Championships, but he has legal difficulties (history with Vavrinyuk)." It is still unknown go or not

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Broken wrist? I guess that's why he had it wrapped up. Weren't there were rumours of a wrist/hand issue earlier in the season?

Surprised to see Johansen turn down an invite if he's healthy. Hockey Canada sometimes likes to hold it against players when selecting for future tournaments. They're weird like that.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Landeskog:

"I've got a broken wrist and have to get it checked before I know if I can go. If I have to have surgery it's hard to play WC. It would be sad but that's the way it is. You can't play with this type of injury"

Broken in this context doesn't mean fractured, but busted/wonky/problematic/injured etc. So it may be anything.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Duchene and Eberle playing keep away from Hall? I'm all for it.

Hahaha that was hilarious. Made me really want Eberle on the Avs though. Those two played amazing together. But then again I also wanted Stalberg because of their chemistry from the lockout season :laugh:

As for the poll at the start of the thread, I still wont vote. Canada definitely looks to have an elite group of forwards but as SEPH said, without goaltending you're nothing at the international level. Or any level for that matter. I'll wait to hear some more announcements before voting.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Chambers.....

Nothing official, but I’ve been told Avalanche forwards Matt Duchene, Ryan O’Reilly and Nathan MacKinnon and defenseman Tyson Barrie are expected to play for Canada at the Czech Republic-hosted World Championship beginning May 1 in Prague and Ostrava. Avs/Lake Erie goalie Calvin Pickard, according to Sportsnet, is being considered along with full-time NHLers Cam Ward and James Reimer.

Avs captain Gabe Landeskog, meanwhile, told me he will play for Sweden pending his exit meeting/physical with Colorado.

Looking forward to seeing some more Avs hockey this year!

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Nothing official, but I’ve been told Avalanche forwards Matt Duchene, Ryan O’Reilly and Nathan MacKinnon and defenseman Tyson Barrie are expected to play for Canada at the Czech Republic-hosted World Championship beginning May 1 in Prague and Ostrava. Avs/Lake Erie goalie Calvin Pickard, according to Sportsnet, is being considered along with full-time NHLers Cam Ward and James Reimer.

Link to full Chambers blog post:

http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/2015/04/12/handful-of-avs-prepare-for-may-1-worlds-overseas-3-5-percent-chance-in-mcdavid-sweepstakes/21225/

***EDIT***

Not sure why it does anymore, but it amazes me that in blog posting on the "All Things Avs" blog, Mike Chambers manages to talk about DU Pioneers again...ridiculous

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad