Post-Game Talk: The 2015 IIHF World Men Championships [1st: CAN 2nd: RUS 3rd:USA]

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
IIHF-2015.jpg

World Championship
Group A
Austria
Canada
Czech Republic
France
Germany
Latvia
Sweden
Switzerland

Group B
Belarus
Denmark
Finland
Norway
Russia
Slovakia
Slovenia
USA

STANDINGS

SCHEDULE

Avs Representatives
- Tyson Barrie, D [Canada]
- Reto Berra, G [Switzerland]
- Matt Duchene, C [Canada]
- Jan Hejda, D [Czech Republic]
- Markus Lauridsen, D [Denmark] (LE Monsters)
- Nathan MacKinnon, C/W [Canada]
- Ryan O'Reilly, C/W [Canada]
- Zack Redmond, D [USA]

Avs Players Not Going
- Erik Johnson, D [USA][Rehabbing]
- Borna Rendulic, W [Croatia][Broken Leg]
- Gabriel Landeskog, LW [Sweden][Broken Wrist]
- Semyon Varlamov, G [Russia][Dealing with some legal issues]
- The Rest

World Championship D1A
Standings: http://www.eliteprospects.com/league_home.php?leagueid=305
1. Kazakhstan - 15 points (PROMOTED)
2. Hungary - 12 points (PROMOTED)
3. Poland (Host) - 6 points (goal differential)
4. Japan - 6 points
5. Italy - 5 points
6. Ukraine - 1 point

World Championship D1B
Standing: http://www.eliteprospects.com/league_home.php?leagueid=541
1. South Korea - 12 points (PROMOTED)
2. Great Britain - 11 points
3. Lithuania - 9 points
4. Croatia - 7 points
5. Estonia - 3 points
6. Netherlands (Host) - 3 points (Relegated due to goal differential)

World Championship D2A
Standing: http://www.eliteprospects.com/league_home.php?leagueid=306
1. Romania - 14 points (PROMOTED)
2. Belgium - 8 points
3. Serbia - 7 points (goal differential)
4. Spain - 7 points
5. Iceland (Host) - 7 points
6. Australia - 2 points

World Championship D2B
Standing: http://www.eliteprospects.com/league_home.php?leagueid=542
1. China - 14 points (PROMOTED)
2. New Zealand - 9 points (goal differential)
3. Mexico - 9 points
4. Bulgaria - 6 points
5. Israel - 4 points
6. South Africa (Host) - 3 points

World Championship D3
Standing: http://www.eliteprospects.com/league_home.php?leagueid=307
1. DPR of Korea [North Korea] - 17 points (PROMOTED)
2. Turkey (Host) - 16 points
3. Luxembourg - 12 points
4. Hong Kong - 9 points
5. Georgia - 5 points
6. United Arabs Emirates - 4 points
7. Bosnia & Herzegovina - 0 points

Last edited:

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I don't see France making the final 4, but they should have one of the strongest teams till day. Majority of their best players are healthy and are developing some solid depth. Defense is weak, but forward and goaltending looks good.

Also, I highly doubt Rendulic will participant for Croatia, just added him there for no reason (will delete him probably soon).

Thanks, knew you'd do a great job :nod:
Thanks, means a lot! I am partially OCD as well, so I need everything organized! :laugh:

Hope Duchene, O'Reilly, and Barrie get an invite.
I won't be cheering for Canada as you probably already know :D:p::sarcasm:, but I really hope they get an invite. Will love to see them play! Additionally it would be great if Hall gets invited again so we can hear the Oiler fans complain about Duchene not passing. :laugh:

Sucks that it's so far away still

where can I watch Bosnia vs UAE? that's what I need to watch
I don't think there is a stream for D3.

Bosnia just restarted their hockey program so it sucks, pretty bad...I don't think they have scored a goal yet, but you know, everything has to start from somewhere. Actually I am both surprised and not concerning hockey in Balkans and Eastern Europe. I am surprised that hockey isn't more popular from Soviet Union's communism rule, but I am not surprised since MAJORITY of people hate Russia due to the Hammer and Scythe in the 70s. I can tell you that Estonia and Poland, especially the older generations Despise Russia with a capital D.

Hong Kong is intriguing because hockey has REALLY grown there. Only a couple thousand play currently, but it has grown in an absurd rate the last five years or so, a positive growth of 796%. :amazed: http://www.iihf.com/home-of-hockey/...]=9120&cHash=7af68cb9f532c227ea2ad9c2808bf096

UAE on the other hand, it makes sense how and why they have a hockey team...hell that country or kingdom is so rich their police cars are Lamborghini Aventadors. Seems the rich countries who are able to afford hockey are succeeding, IE Suisse. They've seen great growth as well.

I don't know how many of you focus on hockey's growth or just watch the lower nations, but D1A is the most interesting this year. Not because it is in Krakow, Poland, but that I want to see how Hungary and Japan do. Because, I do not know how many of you know, but Japan were 2-3 goals off of getting promoted to the main tournament this year, they lost on goal differentials (would have been a great story).

Hungary on the other hand is notable because they are starting to develop some VERY interesting players, every new generation is getting better than the last. I don't think they have developed a top 9 F or top 6 D NHL quality player just yet, but more and more players are starting to show up at the top junior leagues in Superelit, Austria, Finland, MHL, and Czech (and not looking like scrubs).

Plus they have had the second highest growth of any European nation besides Belarus (153%) at 119%. I don't think they are going to progress to Switzerland level any time soon, but they can easily be the next "Latvia". Turkey is starting to take hockey seriously as well.

Some other nations that could get IIHF licensing this year are Jamaica, Argentina (full license), and Portugal. Jamaica is another story to watch since they partook recently in a free tryout and they got players from ALL over Canada and the USA (was a successful camp).

I don't see this coming soon, but there are a handful of VERY passionate French-Algerians who are desperately trying to get their home country (Algeria) to adopt and start a hockey program. Just another country to look for to get a partial IIHF licensing in the future. Hell, if Andorra can get a hockey license, so can Algeria.

Last edited:

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
I always love this tournament. It would be so sick if Pittsburgh didn't make it and Crosby played for Canada. Canada could potentially have a great roster if people don't decline. Duchene, ROR, Barrie, Seguin, Benn, Hall, RNH, Eberle, Johansen, Ekblad, Couture, Doughty, Giroux, Thornton, Luongo, E. Staal, Skinner, Rielly, Brent Burns, Huberdeau, Marleau, Carter, Toffoli, Iginla, Tanguay. Lots of great players to invite. Prague is an incredible city, so maybe there will be bigger names than normal.

Russia is going to be really KHL dependent, as most of their NHL guys will be in the playoffs. Varly, Anisimov, Bobrovski, Khudobin, Kulikov, maybe Semin. But, calling it right now, the line of the tournament will be Dadonov-Panarin-Shipachyov. This line is freaking unstoppable in the KHL. They led their team SKA St. Petersburg back from a 0-3 hole to beat Radulov's CSKA in the conference finals. I fully expect Panarin to not only be in the NHL next year, but be the next Johnny Gaudreau. They play exactly the same way. He'd likely be a Calder candidate if it weren't for McEichel.

It's always interesting to see what the US does. They have a tougher time getting decent NHL talent to go than Canada does. they often depend on guys who play in Europe to play important roles on their squad. Last year Peter Mueller and Tim Stapleton were there. I expect Steve Moses will be there this year. Would be so amazing if Eichel goes. Hoping Kessel and JVR go to redeem themselves. Nick Foligno, Pavelski, Bobby Ryan would be all be amazing. Schneider or Quick in net? But of course, the team would not be complete without Nate Guenin. They need a General to succeed.

Most Sweden's main guys will be in the playoffs. Landeskog, OEL, possibly Erik Karlsson, Melker Karlsson, Elias Lindholm, Wennberg, Enroth, John Klingberg...really not a whole lot there. The Everbeast? yes please. They better hope Detroit, Vancouver and Anaheim get knocked out soon.

The Czechs will likely have everyone who can possibly come play join them, as they are hosts. Jagr has already said he's ready to go. Hemsky, Sekera, Elias, Voracek, Hejda, Hertl, Vladdy Sobotka, Nestrasil..that's about it. If Boston doesn't make it they would have Krejci and Pastrnak available. They will depend on important contributions from their KHL contingent like Jan Kovar, Roman Cervenka, G Jakub Kovar and Petr Koukal. It's always noce to see a team do well in front of the home crown, so I hope they can put in a good performance.

The Finns must be praying for Boston to collapse. Getting Tuuka Rask would be incredible. But Niemi isn't chopped liver. And G Miiko Koskinen ha been VERY good in the KHL this year. They'll have Jussi Jokinen, Barkov, Ristolainen, Komarov, Korpikoski. Not going to light the world on fire. They have some decent players in the KHL however. You can never count out the Finns. They came very close to winning the tournament last year.

Darkhorses: France is going to have the best team they've ever had. They upset the Russians a couple years ago. Stephane Da Costa has been one of the KHL's best players this year, and always lights up this tournament. They have Bellemere available from Philly. Antoine Roussel will be there. Tim Bozon is looking like he could be an NHL player someday. Cristobal Huet is still kicking around. They have a couple guys doing very well in Finland and Sweden. Watch out for them

My favorite teams are Latvia and Norway. Hopefully Zemgus Girgensons gets better and is ready to go. Would be nice of Gudlevskis somehow were able to come join. They have some very interesting 20 year olds playing in Canadian juniors that would be interesting to get a look at. Rihards Bukarts from Brandon and Nikita Jevpalovs from Blainsville in the Q. Rodrigo Abols is an 18 year old who was gettign serious minutes with Dinamo Riga late in the season and looked really good. He'll likely be drafted this year. As for the vets, it's kind of the usual bunch. Forwards Karsums, Daugavins, Miks Indrasis, Mikelis Redlihs. Lauris Darzins. A competent yet unspectacular bunch. If Vancouver loses early, Ronald Kenins would be a huge addition. On D it's just a bunch of crap not really worth mentioning.

Norway has put in some decent performances lately. Although they are being surpassed by Denmark. Not having Zuccarello will hurt like crazy. Thoresen, the Olimb brothers, our old friend Jonas Holos and our new friend Martinsen will lead the charge. I imagine Lars Haugen will get the nod between the pipes.

Hoping LA misses so Slovenia gets Kopitar. Mursak had a very nice season in the KHL. As did a couple other guys.

Slovakia: No tatar, no Hossa, No Chara, no Halak, no hope. Maybe Gaborik comes and saves the day.

Switzerland: Reto Berra baby!! With Nashville (Fiala and Josi), Vancouver (Weber, Sbisa, Baertschi), Calgary (Diaz and Hiller) and Minny (Niederreiter) in the playoffs, their NHL personnel is very depleted. Call them team Mark Streit. However, their players from the NLA always come together and make life hell on anyone. Look out for young Cristoph Bertschy who just signed an ELC with Minnesota.

Anyways, I hope that if you have some time give the tournament a chance. It's always lots of fun.

Last edited:

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
The Swedish posters on HF really dislike Landeskog when he's on Team Sweden. He's not played that well in the past on big ice but they're overdoing it.

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
The Swedish posters on HF really dislike Landeskog when he's on Team Sweden. He's not played that well in the past on big ice but they're overdoing it.

He helped win the dang thing 2 years ago. I think that some of it stems from the fact that Landy has not played in Sweden since he was 16 (aside from the lockout), so he was never a household name there until he was in the NHL.

But, yes, his game is better suited to NA size ice. He wasn't great during the Olympics, but I remember him looking OK in the World Championships he's played in. He will probably have a bigger role on Sweden than he has in the past from the lack of star power.

Imagine him and ROR lining up against each other. I could totally see Landy trying to run him but then having a good laugh about it later.

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
I was using just bootleg streams last year to watch MacK so no DVR. Hopefully better options work this year.

Would be great for Barrie to get the recognition and experience. I hope so too.

Awesome post Chileiceman, great review.

Thank you! I will be done school and off work during the tournament so I'll try to watch as much as I can. Granted, I have to study for the bar exam during that time, but priorities.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

He just doesn't give off that Swedish vibe lol. If he played for Team Canada he'd probably be more Canadian-like than a lot of the Canadians on the team :laugh:

member 116861

Can't wait to cheer for Stastny and the United States again.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
He helped win the dang thing 2 years ago. I think that some of it stems from the fact that Landy has not played in Sweden since he was 16 (aside from the lockout), so he was never a household name there until he was in the NHL.

But, yes, his game is better suited to NA size ice. He wasn't great during the Olympics, but I remember him looking OK in the World Championships he's played in. He will probably have a bigger role on Sweden than he has in the past from the lack of star power.

Imagine him and ROR lining up against each other. I could totally see Landy trying to run him but then having a good laugh about it later.

Forsberg used to say he would run any of his teammates over if they were wearing the wrong jersey...said it with a chuckle of course.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad