Post-Game Talk: The 2015 IIHF World Men Championships [1st: CAN 2nd: RUS 3rd:USA]

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
...czechs make some of the best beers on the planet.

They may, but Europe in general has a lot of beer cans that are very different looking than most of the US. Thinner in pint size and flashier. Wherever I've been in Europe and they don't have European beers I recognize, I always feel like I'm about to get their local version of Sparks or Four Loko, because that's what the can looks like.

Last edited:

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
*some russian people. Many urban russians know it's ******** but would rather go on with their lives than get on his ****list. Same reason russians hating communism didn't bring down the USSR, repeat for the feudal system and tzars, and all other systems of government they have had since the kevan rus first ventured to the north and west.

This pretty much applies to all societies everywhere. The only time democracy flourishes is if a non-sectarian society collectively rises up after many years of hating life, taxes, or both. This "rising up" can take the form of a revolution or can be quieter, like it was in Britain. This didn't happen in Russia because the Russian revolution happened when ****ing communism was gaining ground, and so communism - being the more cohesive and ideological movement - acted as the people's movement instead of democracy. When you think about it the conditions for democracy are really rare.

Jeff_Dyck_#1

Est. MMII
Apr 11, 2005
HF since 1998
This pretty much applies to all societies everywhere. The only time democracy flourishes is if a non-sectarian society collectively rises up after many years of hating life, taxes, or both. This "rising up" can take the form of a revolution or can be quieter, like it was in Britain. This didn't happen in Russia because the Russian revolution happened when ****ing communism was gaining ground, and so communism - being the more cohesive and ideological movement - acted as the people's movement instead of democracy. When you think about it the conditions for democracy are really rare.

It was not "russian" revolution.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
They may, but Europe in general has a lot of beer cans that are very different looking than most of the US. Thinner in pint size and flashier. Wherever I've been in Europe and they don't have European beers I recognize, I always feel like I'm about to get their local version of Sparks or Four Loko, because that's what the can looks like.

Well that's on you for drinking beer out of cans instead of bottles :laugh:

Not even going to get into the details here, but shouldn't that serve to give you more perspective on the fact that people who live under a ridiculous regime do not all buy into the propoganda of the regime like chileiceman suggested?

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006

Not even going to get into the details here, but shouldn't that serve to give you more perspective on the fact that people who live under a ridiculous regime do not all buy into the propoganda of the regime like chileiceman suggested?

100%. I agree with you on that point. I don't think some people just buy into dictator bs more than others.

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto

Obviously not every Russian buys in. But a lot do. Like Ovechkin posting that picture about saving Ukrainian children from fascism.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Obviously not every Russian buys in. But a lot do. Like Ovechkin posting that picture about saving Ukrainian children from fascism.

Somewhat. Part of that is just public figures doing what is expected of them, and if you watch the russian (or ukrainian) news you can see how crazy the coverage has gotten; so public figures have even more pressure to support the regime in that conflict. It's like US athletes supporting the wars in the middle east and posting about bringing freedom to those people instead of posting about the countless innocents who have died at the hands of western forces. They're not all blood thirsty savages who revile in the slaughter of innocents, they're just doing what is expected of them in supporting the regime in power.

raistlin76

Sep 18, 2004
Cracow
www.nhl.com.pl

Our Varly did almost the same when he put his picture on Instagram wearing T-shirt with Putin's picture and Crimea is ours writing.

http://www.si.com/nhl/2014/09/15/russian-nhl-stars-ukraine-vladimir-putin-support

I saw similar Malkin's pictures, so basically NHL biggest Russian stars supports Putin publicly. Maybe they are doing it because they believe him, maybe they are afraid of safety of their families in Russia.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
It's less about being afraid for their families as just not wanting to make waves and make things more difficult for themselves and their families. It's not like Putin is going to assassinate Varly's parents, but public figures on his ****list who aren't openly trying to bring him down will find themselves dealing with a lot more nuisances in regards to visas, taxes, social services, etc. So it's much easier to make a superficial show of support to stay in his good graces.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad