The 2015-2016 Blues Discussion Thread - Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
not when the playoffs roll around. when game 1 starts we will be at the bottom of the goalie totem pole until they prove otherwise.

Elliott was good in his previous playoff series with The Blues (Kings). And he's made himself into a much better and more consistent goaltender this season. I don't expect him to change his play in the playoffs just because the pressure is ratcheted upwards, and the spotlight will be on him. The Blues are confident in him, and play really well in front of him. If he plays, I expect The Blues to get excellent goaltending in the playoffs. With Allen in, I am less confident, but certain that he will play, at least, decently. Scoting will be what makes or breaks The Blues.

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
That...and Allen sucked in games 5 and 6 last year giving up back-breaking, demoralizing softies.

I'd throw the first goal of the series, that easy wrap around for Zucker, in as demoralizing as well. Team should've responded, but man that sucked the life out of the building and Allen was so unprepared.

Both guys have played good this year. Elliott's been a bit better and I'd like to see him given the nod. Fewer question marks IMO.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Imo

Allen=Quick
Elliott=Crawford

Both goalies can steal a game but Allen/Quick are game breakers

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
If we could get either Elliott or Allen playing at the best level they showed us this season, the Blues would be very difficult to beat. Allen had a stretch where he looked amazing and athletic.

He's still not back to form with his rebound control, but he is getting there. I think chances are most likely he'll be the playoff starter and hopefully playing at his best.

Elliott had that great run where he was the best goalie in the league. As Robb points out, he truly has grown as a goalie over the past few years. I'm comfortable with either guy back there, if they are at their best.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Agreed, I'm indifferent as to who starts this year. Money says allen do to Elliott's injury and Allen hasn't faltered much. I just hope who ever starts, Hitch doesn't stick with them no matter what if they crap the bed

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Man I'm tired of the narrative that our goalies are bad in the playoffs.

Last year Crawford was so bad the Hawks turned to a guy that was plucked out of the worst pro league in North America 24 months earlier. Crawford let in 3 on 12 in game 1, got yanked and then let in 6 on 35 in game 2. He didn't play again until he relieved Darling in game 6.

Quick was absolutely horrific in the first half of the series against San Jose 2 years ago. He allowed 16 goals in 3 games (and allowed 3 more in game 4) with a SV% of .851.

Neither of our goalies have had a meltdown as bad as these. Every goalie has bad games. Sometimes they come in the playoffs. It happens to everyone. Our goaltending is just not a question mark.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
With the timing of his injury, I would be shocked if Elliott is the starter going into the playoffs.

I think the injury all but ensures Allen is the guy in game 1. I'm just hoping Elliott can get back in time to play a couple regular season games and show Hitch that he is game ready if needed in the playoffs. I still think we will need both goalies in the playoffs to win the Cup. Not a tandem, but I think Elliott will need to step in and win a couple games for us.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
If we can score 3 goals per game and either goalie is playing their "A" game, it won't matter. They are both plenty good to win.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I think the injury all but ensures Allen is the guy in game 1. I'm just hoping Elliott can get back in time to play a couple regular season games and show Hitch that he is game ready if needed in the playoffs. I still think we will need both goalies in the playoffs to win the Cup. Not a tandem, but I think Elliott will need to step in and win a couple games for us.

Agreed. The problem is, will Hitchcock use both, or obstinately stick with one even if he falters? Elliot should have replaced Allen in game 6 of the Minnesota series.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
If we can score 3 goals per game and either goalie is playing their "A" game, it won't matter. They are both plenty good to win.

I don't think we need an A game, we just don't need any major errors.

Maybe I am misremembering game 5 from last year, but we were up a goal and flying... Allen let's in a brutal goal and everything is pretty even until the Wild take the lead. The problem isn't that Allen/Elliott let in a bad goal, it happens to every goalie at least once in a series, it's that the team doesn't react to it properly.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I don't think we need an A game, we just don't need any major errors.

Maybe I am misremembering game 5 from last year, but we were up a goal and flying... Allen let's in a brutal goal and everything is pretty even until the Wild take the lead. The problem isn't that Allen/Elliott let in a bad goal, it happens to every goalie at least once in a series, it's that the team doesn't react to it properly.
Steen had 2 or 3 glorious chances to put the Blues up, but like clock work, no one could score

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Having a healthy Ott ready to go in the post-season is better than not having him. A fully healthy Blues roster continues to have more players than line-up spots. We just haven't ever had to actually deal with it since the forwards have never been healthy.

If Ott comes back and plays this year, it will reflect a tremendous effort to rehab from that kind of injury. That's a pretty strong leadership move right there, regardless of what he contributes on the ice.

bluesfan3109

Let's Go Blues!!!
Jan 26, 2015
STL/IL
Ott takes way too many offensive zone penalties and has been hurt all year, I honestly don't want to see him in the playoffs at all. I think it's gotta be Jaskin playing with those two IMO.

^^^THIS!!! I'm so sick of Ott love, he takes wayyyyyyy more penalties (usually stupid ones) than he causes. I want him no where near this team. Jaskin and his non-producing is still better than Ott and Brodz/Reaves/Upshall>>Ott.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
^^^THIS!!! I'm so sick of Ott love, he takes wayyyyyyy more penalties (usually stupid ones) than he causes. I want him no where near this team. Jaskin and his non-producing is still better than Ott and Brodz/Reaves/Upshall>>Ott.

By Ott love, do you mean people actually acknowledging he's an okay player that doesn't deserve the constant unfounded hate he gets?

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
He's exactly what this needs in the playoffs. I thought he was fantastic vs the Wild last year. Ott, Reaves and Upshall will be hell to play against (sorry Broz).

wait what? Brodziak is 100% a lock for the 4th line above any of those guys.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
People can whine about Ott vs Jaskin all day, but that decision isn't the difference between winning or losing the Cup. If that is our biggest concern in the playoffs, we are in fantastic shape.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Agreed. The problem is, will Hitchcock use both, or obstinately stick with one even if he falters? Elliot should have replaced Allen in game 6 of the Minnesota series.

That's the million dollar question. Regardless of what Hitch will or won't do, I at least want Elliott healthy in time to prove that he is a viable option if needed. I don't want a situation where his first game back on the roster is a playoff game. Him getting a couple games in the regular season would at least show Hitch what he is working with.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
If Ott is healthy for the playoffs, he'll be in the lineup guaranteed. I'm fine with that as well, he's shown he can be an effective player on the fourth line. As long as Hitch doesn't continually bump him up the lineup randomly, it should be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad