The 2015-2016 Blues Discussion Thread - Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Can someone show me even one example where a trade happened and there was a minor move with the AHL team FIRST which only made sense in the context of the trade? I think these things usually happen the other way around.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
“If we’re going to make changes, it’ll probably be a hockey trade. I don’t see it being a veteran player coming in and a young player going out or a young player coming and a veteran going out. We’re not in the ‘sell or buy’ mode, we’re in the ‘play for now’ mode. I like our depth, I like our group, we’ll see how it plays out.”

Armstrong sounds so desperate! Let's make a new thread to wring our hands about all the bad moves he could have done but didn't.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
After 7 games Rattie has 4 points. Needs 1 more point in his next 25 games to match Paajarvi's pace.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
After 7 games Rattie has 4 points. Needs 1 more point in his next 25 games to match Paajarvi's pace.

It's almost as if it's easier for him to produce when he's playing with decent offensive players as opposed to fourth line grinders. I'd like to see more physicality out of him, but all things considered, he looks like an NHL player to me now. For clarity, when I say more physicality I'm not talking about throwing hits. I'd like to see him be more willing to take a hit to make a play and go to the dirty areas a bit more. His goal against the Habs is a perfect example of what Easton has been calling for: keeping a guy higher in the slot to clean up rebounds and create second chances.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
It's almost as if it's easier for him to produce when he's playing with decent offensive players as opposed to fourth line grinders.

You can already see him gaining more confidence out there as he is making stuff happen with better players. His celly last game was exhibit A

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
As much as I like Lindbohm's upside, I think it's pretty telling that both Butler and Benoit got the call ahead of him. I suspect the organization isn't very happy with his play this year.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Just don't mention regression.

Benoit looks like he brings more offense. Maybe this is more to reward him than because of what other players are doing. Still not sure who is actually on the 23 man active roster.

Bortuzzo is hurt, too, and will be out for some games. Benoit was probably called up to be the healthy scratch. I think he's too slow to defend adequately on The NHL level. I think Bouwmeester will play tonight.

I wonder if the trade with The Bolts has been settled in principal, but Tampa Bay is waiting to see how The Blues' auxiliary trade components (Gunnarsson?) play after returning from injury?

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
You can already see him gaining more confidence out there as he is making stuff happen with better players. His celly last game was exhibit A

Hitch specifically mentioned in his post game presser Saturday that Rattie is showing more confidence, and as a result he is playing "through" people instead of "to" people. He said that he thought in his previous stints that he had too much respect for his opponents and didn't fight for pucks or space as much as he should. I'd have to agree with that assessment, I just hope they give him more than a couple of games to build on his last two games and not send him down because Paajarvi is back. I think he's earned a chance to prove that he can stick.

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
As much as I like Lindbohm's upside, I think it's pretty telling that both Butler and Benoit got the call ahead of him. I suspect the organization isn't very happy with his play this year.

Butler certainly hasn't been better in either the NHL or AHL this year than Lindbohm. I just think they don't want to have to rely on half of our D being rookies.

ManyIdeas

Feb 14, 2012
St. Louis
Butler certainly hasn't been better in either the NHL or AHL this year than Lindbohm. I just think they don't want to have to rely on half of our D being rookies.

Which is funny if you read JRs morning skate. Quote from Hitch saying that relying on experience is something something.

Basically contradicting how he handles some rookies.

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
Well Hitch doesn't have a problem playing the rookies in the ice time that they deserve. He's done a great job of developing guys. I just think they don't want too much inexperience on defense since it would be half of our D core unlike forward where you have twice as many guys and can be sheltered in some ways.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Can someone show me even one example where a trade happened and there was a minor move with the AHL team FIRST which only made sense in the context of the trade? I think these things usually happen the other way around.

I think that Bortuzzo being out necessitates Benoit's call up (just to sit in the pressbox). I would guess that IF the recalled player would actually need to play. Lindbohm would be recalled. Bouwmeester should be back tonight or next game.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
I think that Bortuzzo being out necessitates Benoit's call up (just to sit in the pressbox). I would guess that IF the recalled player would actually need to play. Lindbohm would be recalled. Bouwmeester should be back tonight or next game.

Looks like Benoit IS playing. Quote from Hitch:

"I think Benoit is here because, quite frankly, he has played the best of anybody (with the Wolves). We're in that situation where we've got four games left, we've sustained another injury (to Bortuzzo) and we need him to be a good player for us right now. He's played the best of any of them down there the last three weeks or so, and deserved the call-up, so he's going to play tonight."

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/hock...cle_bc1d9ac0-dd2f-555b-8a7e-2215a241480b.html

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Looks like Benoit IS playing. Quote from Hitch:

"I think Benoit is here because, quite frankly, he has played the best of anybody (with the Wolves). We're in that situation where we've got four games left, we've sustained another injury (to Bortuzzo) and we need him to be a good player for us right now. He's played the best of any of them down there the last three weeks or so, and deserved the call-up, so he's going to play tonight."

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/hock...cle_bc1d9ac0-dd2f-555b-8a7e-2215a241480b.html

I am glad that he's in.

If you play well for the AHL team, you should be in line for the call-up, regardless of prior experience or draft pedigree. Benoit has been productive this year.

I also think that it brings a certain energy to the NHL team when a guy is getting a big chance on a call-up. He's going to be pumped, for sure, and that can be a little contagious.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
I think it's amazing that they are now putting Parayko solely on the LD side and calling up a RHD instead of just saying "Oh hey Parayko, 3rd pairing". The trust Hitch is giving him is amazing. Especially for a 22 year old rookie.

cardinalnation

Mar 4, 2012

Lindbohlm was o.k last year but frankly i just don't see what the hype was about. The guy plays with an edge and the Blues needed that at the time but with the emergence of Edmundson and having Bort around for the full year has made Lindy just not necessary. He has done nothing at all to deserve a second call up after his first terrible showing this year. I can see why people aren't that thrilled with Butler but honestly it is not like Lindbohlm has earned anything this year. To me it is a non issue.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
It's almost as if it's easier for him to produce when he's playing with decent offensive players as opposed to fourth line grinders. I'd like to see more physicality out of him, but all things considered, he looks like an NHL player to me now. For clarity, when I say more physicality I'm not talking about throwing hits. I'd like to see him be more willing to take a hit to make a play and go to the dirty areas a bit more. His goal against the Habs is a perfect example of what Easton has been calling for: keeping a guy higher in the slot to clean up rebounds and create second chances.

Rattie has been in the middle of the ice and near the goal crease much more this trip to The Blues than his last trial. He's much more confidenjt, seems to be stronger, and his skating also seems to be a bit better. He's progressing fine now. And, I don't think he looks overmatched, like he did last season. I'm for keeping him up the rest of the season (unless he's part of the Drouin trade).

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
Rattie has been in the middle of the ice and near the goal crease much more this trip to The Blues than his last trial. He's much more confidenjt, seems to be stronger, and his skating also seems to be a bit better. He's progressing fine now. And, I don't think he looks overmatched, like he did last season. I'm for keeping him up the rest of the season (unless he's part of the Drouin trade).

Rattie has really impressed. He's an NHL'er for sure. His stick handling to calm down the puck while entering the zone tonight was impressive. His feet have been moving, and he didn't look slow even against a fast Pittsburgh team. I'm very happy for Ty, and I hope he can be a part of the future for us.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Would like to see what Hitch does to these lines when Schwartz is back. Can Fabbri play RW?

Schwartz - Stastny - Tarasenko
Steen - Lehtera - Fabbri
Berglund - Backes - Brouwer
Jaskin - Brodziak - Reaves

Rattie, Upshall, Ott, PRV

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Would like to see what Hitch does to these lines when Schwartz is back. Can Fabbri play RW?

Schwartz - Stastny - Tarasenko
Steen - Lehtera - Fabbri
Berglund - Backes - Brouwer
Jaskin - Brodziak - Reaves

Rattie, Upshall, Ott, PRV
Like these lines a lot. Only changes I would make would be possibly juggling the first two lines wingers (STL line anyone?) and rotating PRV onto the 4th line depending on opponent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad