The 2015-2016 Blues Discussion Thread - Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Would like to see what Hitch does to these lines when Schwartz is back. Can Fabbri play RW?

Schwartz - Stastny - Tarasenko
Steen - Lehtera - Fabbri
Berglund - Backes - Brouwer
Jaskin - Brodziak - Reaves

Rattie, Upshall, Ott, PRV

Why put Stastny back with Tarasenko...they are awful together.

Schwartz Backes Berglund
Steen Stastny Brouwer
Fabbri Lehtera Tarasenko
Upshall Brodziak Reaves
Pääjärvi
Jaskin and Rattie back to the AHL for now.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Hitch specifically mentioned in his post game presser Saturday that Rattie is showing more confidence, and as a result he is playing "through" people instead of "to" people. He said that he thought in his previous stints that he had too much respect for his opponents and didn't fight for pucks or space as much as he should. I'd have to agree with that assessment, I just hope they give him more than a couple of games to build on his last two games and not send him down because Paajarvi is back. I think he's earned a chance to prove that he can stick.

The Blues need secondary scoring. Rattie has provided it in his 7 games (just about as much as Paajarvi has in 4 or 5 times as many games). I just hope they let Rattie continue playing.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008

Schwartz Backes Berglund
Steen Stastny Brouwer
Fabbri Lehtera Tarasenko
Upshall Brodziak Reaves
Pääjärvi

He's playing better lately, so maybe they work together better now.

cardinalnation

Mar 4, 2012

He got rid of the head gear and wore a visor tonight. Hitch said the other gear was messing with his vision causing him to have to turn his head instead of just tracking with his eyes. It is probably a factor b/c he looked like a different player tonight.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014

Stastny played better last year when he was with Berglund and Jaskin. They stick him with Steen and Brouwer, 2 guys that don't rely on carrying the puck, and Stastny is looking better again. I see no reason to break them up. Both the Stastny and Lehtera line are starting to work. Slide Schwartz onto the Backes line and Leave the other 2 alone

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Blues Guide to Winning (lines when healthy/come playoff time):

Schwartz - Lehtera - Tarasenko
Steen - Stastny - Fabbri
Berglund - Backes - Brouwer
Paajarvi - Brodziak - Jaskin

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=111809367&postcount=699

We know the STL line works. Period. Plus Tarasenko and Lehtera have undeniable chemistry (watching Tarasenko fighting Kesler after a quesitonable hit on Lehtera really drove home this point for me).

The passing of Stastny with the finishing of Steen and Fabbri just makes sense IMO. Steen and Schwartz can probably be toggled here like they were last season.

At the risk of beating a dead horse, let me just say that I think the B's line would be defensively responsible, have great puck possession, and be able to generate offense throwing pucks on net and banging in rebounds.

PRV's speed is effective on the forecheck and I think him, Jaskin, and Brodziak has the potential to be a great 4th line and be a threat to score occasionally (which the Ott - Brods - Reav line simply is not). Rotate in Reaves and Ott for physicality and PK depending on opponent.

Chojin

Tiny Panger...
Apr 6, 2011
So obviously we're not doing so great in puck possession at this point in time, but here's a graph of our 10-game rolling average of Fenwick %, if you need evidence:

E8OB500.png

This got me wondering: do Cup-winning teams go through similar slumps? To answer that question, here are the same graphs for each of those teams since 2007-08. If you don't want to look at all of those graphs, here's a brief summary: only two of those teams went through similar slumps that put them below 50%: the Bruins and the Penguins.

2010-11 Bruins
gC0Q68j.png

2008-09 Penguins
QfrdirU.png

Boston was truly awful until mid-November, and then had a slump similar to ours in late February through early March. They were kept afloat by Vezina winner Tim Thomas. In the playoffs, Thomas was unbeatable, and they got near-PPG efforts from Bergeron, Krejci, Marchand, and Horton.

The Penguins were terrible for most of the year, reaching their nadir in February, culminating with the firing of Therrien (see: 2015-16 Montreal Canadiens). But as soon as they hired Bylsma, they started improving, reaching 50% Fenwick in March and becoming a dominant team in April. In the playoffs, Fleury wasn't very good, but Malkin and Crosby put up insane numbers.

Let's compare this to our situation. Unlike Boston, our goalies aren't having Vezina-worthy seasons, and I doubt Allen or Elliott will set goaltending records in the playoffs. Other than that, though, their situation is fairly similar to ours. However, I think we can learn more from the Penguins. They (and the 2011-12 Kings) show that under-performing teams can reap immediate benefits from replacing the coach mid-season. The Kings are especially convincing, with their numerous playoff failures prior to their Cup-winning season.

TL;DR: Fire Hitch ASAP, and maybe we can do some damage in the playoffs.

Daley Tarasenkshow

Schennsational
Nov 7, 2012
St. Louis MO

Schwartz Backes Berglund
Steen Stastny Brouwer
Fabbri Lehtera Tarasenko
Upshall Brodziak Reaves
Pääjärvi

With the way he's been playing, I think Rattie will find a way to stay. Upshall may be cut similarly to how Gomez was.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
So obviously we're not doing so great in puck possession at this point in time, but here's a graph of our 10-game rolling average of Fenwick %, if you need evidence:

E8OB500.png

This got me wondering: do Cup-winning teams go through similar slumps? To answer that question, here are the same graphs for each of those teams since 2007-08. If you don't want to look at all of those graphs, here's a brief summary: only two of those teams went through similar slumps that put them below 50%: the Bruins and the Penguins.

2010-11 Bruins
gC0Q68j.png

2008-09 Penguins
QfrdirU.png

Boston was truly awful until mid-November, and then had a slump similar to ours in late February through early March. They were kept afloat by Vezina winner Tim Thomas. In the playoffs, Thomas was unbeatable, and they got near-PPG efforts from Bergeron, Krejci, Marchand, and Horton.

The Penguins were terrible for most of the year, reaching their nadir in February, culminating with the firing of Therrien (see: 2015-16 Montreal Canadiens). But as soon as they hired Bylsma, they started improving, reaching 50% Fenwick in March and becoming a dominant team in April. In the playoffs, Fleury wasn't very good, but Malkin and Crosby put up insane numbers.

Let's compare this to our situation. Unlike Boston, our goalies aren't having Vezina-worthy seasons, and I doubt Allen or Elliott will set goaltending records in the playoffs. Other than that, though, their situation is fairly similar to ours. However, I think we can learn more from the Penguins. They (and the 2011-12 Kings) show that under-performing teams can reap immediate benefits from replacing the coach mid-season. The Kings are especially convincing, with their numerous playoff failures prior to their Cup-winning season.

TL;DR: Fire Hitch ASAP, and maybe we can do some damage in the playoffs.

This is the first reasoned, stats-based argument I've ever seen for firing Hitch. Thank you.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
These Bommarito interviews conducted by Ott lately have been hilarious. You can really tell why Ott is so popular in the locker room.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Big issue with the Blues right now: Both Steen and Tarasenko are on pace for over 70 points this season. Nobody else is on pace for over 50 assuming Shattenkirk only plays 68 games. He's at 56 pt pace over 82 games but he won't play that.

We need summore scoring!

Stlblues98

Aug 14, 2015
Who has more value edmunson or lindbohm? Personally I feel like lindbohm has potential to be a top 4 regular he proved it last year but his five games this year he hasn't been good. As for edmunson I really cant see him being more than a Robert Bortuzzo type. Just want to hear what my fellow blues fans have to say.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Who has more value edmunson or lindbohm? Personally I feel like lindbohm has potential to be a top 4 regular he proved it last year but his five games this year he hasn't been good. As for edmunson I really cant see him being more than a Robert Bortuzzo type. Just want to hear what my fellow blues fans have to say.

I disagree. I think Edmundson is clearly better at moving the puck and skating, he's a better defender and has shown that he can match if not surpass Lindy's physicality. That's talking about this year alone. I'm not sure what's gotten into Petteri's head, but I would have said the same things about him last year. Hopefully this is a sophomore slump, and he can figure out how to play "through" people again, like he did before.

If they both hit their potential, I think they're about equal. But for now Edmundson is better.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
I disagree. I think Edmundson is clearly better at moving the puck and skating, he's a better defender and has shown that he can match if not surpass Lindy's physicality. That's talking about this year alone. I'm not sure what's gotten into Petteri's head, but I would have said the same things about him last year. Hopefully this is a sophomore slump, and he can figure out how to play "through" people again, like he did before.

If they both hit their potential, I think they're about equal. But for now Edmundson is better.

Yeah I agree with this. I don't really understand how one can have a higher potential than the other when they both do pretty much play the same way and do the same thing.

Stlblues98

Aug 14, 2015
Yeah I agree with this. I don't really understand how one can have a higher potential than the other when they both do pretty much play the same way and do the same thing.

I feel like lindbohm (from last year) could move the puck better and can control it better as well. However from edmunson I feel like he is better in his own zone and has more physicality but is more prone to turnovers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad