The 2015-2016 Blues Discussion Thread - Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Well aware of that. Guess I'm just saying the grass isn't always greener on the other side. I just don't want to see change for the sake of change

Yeah 4 years meltdown post-season isn't enough. This will be 5th. I'll wait, count on 142 days left.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
So who's going to put the Blues over the top?

I really don't know the answer, maybe some writers who got some background knowledge about different coaches could answer for that. EB22, Majorityof1, Celtic Note.

Only thing for sure I know it's that Hitch just cannot do it.

Vladdy the Impaler

Moar Sobotka
Feb 20, 2015
The Lou
So who's going to put the Blues over the top?

juD5brN.jpg

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I really don't know the answer, maybe some writers who got some background knowledge about different coaches could answer for that. EB22, Majorityof1, Celtic Note.

Only thing for sure I know it's that Hitch just cannot do it.

That's the right answer. We don't know... again...I also agree that Hitch's time is done but what I do understand is that he was probably the best available. As much as we don't care about the regular season..."it still pays the bills". Regular season success is still important to the ownership...we as hard core fans realize that taking a step back can be important for the future...but do casual fans?

On the main board...how many fans want Hitch? Quite a few honestly. Look at the uber offensive Lighting....they aren't doing so hot. How about laviolette? He was amazing last year, Predators can't do squat..no offense. Bob Hartly and the high flying Flames...crashed and burned. AV in NY....that rediculous luck is going to go bye bye soon, and that piss poor defense is going to show when Lundqvist slumps. The 2 coaches that are constants are Quinnville and Sutter, the Kings were sick of him last year, so were the fans. Hawk fans constantly complain about Qs lines and constant line juggling. He's also sounds like hell to play for, you either play the system or your gone...he demands a 2 way game. All this sound familiar?

As for our team. I don't care if they are tired of Hitch. When they play the system it works and they win hockey games. It shows a lack of professionalism. No it didn't show success in the PO's but your lying to yourself if there wasn't a stark difference in the hard working team against LA and Chicago, then the one that went out with a wimper against the Wild.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
There is a phenomenon of teams performing best in the first year with a new coach. There is a new perspective, a fresh energy, etc. The Blues could sure benefit from that phenomenon....but what coach would we be left with going into the second year. Would we see something like Laviolette in Nashville?

My top preference of available former NHL coaches would be Paul Maclean. However it would be nice to see Armstrong correctly identify the next great coach who has never before headed an NHL team. Not many GMs make that kind of gamble though.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
The lines we're using now are bad. It'd be nice to wake up and see us using these as our lines..

Steen-Stastny-Backes
Fabbri-Lehtera-Tarasenko
Jaskin/Upshall-Gomez-Brouwer
Paajarvi-Brodziak-Upshall/Jaskin

Lindbohm-Pietrangelo
Parayko-Shattenkirk
Bouwmeester-Bortuzzo

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
The lines are bad because:
Schwartz and Berglund are out long term. Jaskin has been a no-show. I don't want to hear about him "driving possession" according to analytic stats. I watch the games, and the team needed him to be a scoring threat. He is not, and can't create anything. He's like a Berglund who is slower and less effective.

That development and the failure of a nice surprise like Rattie emerging (in the opportunities he was given, which includes his time in practice too to impress the staff) has left the coaching staff with a few too many wrenches and not enough hammers.

And I'll add this: Tarasenko has not been playing well. He has been responsible for too many possession-ending pass attempts or overhandling the puck. He's trying to overcome other team deficits, but its starting to have a noticeable negative impact on his decision-making. (I'm not worried about him, though. He will get back to sound hockey.)

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
The lines are bad because:
Schwartz and Berglund are out long term. Jaskin has been a no-show. I don't want to hear about him "driving possession" according to analytic stats. I watch the games, and the team needed him to be a scoring threat. He is not, and can't create anything. He's like a Berglund who is slower and less effective.

That development and the failure of a nice surprise like Rattie emerging (in the opportunities he was given, which includes his time in practice too to impress the staff) has left the coaching staff with a few too many wrenches and not enough hammers.

And I'll add this: Tarasenko has not been playing well. He has been responsible for too many possession-ending pass attempts or overhandling the puck. He's trying to overcome other team deficits, but its starting to have a noticeable negative impact on his decision-making. (I'm not worried about him, though. He will get back to sound hockey.)
What this guy says.... a whole lot has gone wrong so far this year

Last edited:

Klank Loves You

Feb 21, 2015
At this point, changing the coach is a last ditch move, that has to be done now if it is to be done. I doubt management would be willing to take such a big risk at this point in the season. We are 2nd in our division.

As it stands now, i think there is enough there to win the cup, but it would require Allen playing at his peak over the course of a month, and no injuries.

The main problem i have with this team, is the inability show the hidden gear when it comes to the playoffs. Was Minnesota an amazing team? No, but they elevated their play from what we saw in the regular season. The Blues have yet to show any sign of that.

Edit: 2 Minute Minor hits the nail on the head.

medkit

Mar 22, 2014
Berglund being on the ice wouldn't change anything. He is funk commander in chief, he would have happily embraced all of this gliding.

shpongle falls

Ass Möde
Oct 1, 2014
The Night Train
Blues are in a bit of slump right now no doubt about it, but I'm trying not to get too high or too low right now, it's still only early December we've got a long way to go and there have been some real bright spots so far this season.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Berglund being on the ice wouldn't change anything. He is funk commander in chief, he would have happily embraced all of this gliding.

Berglund's reputation is taking on mythic proportions just like Sobotka's has, only in this case in the opposite direction. Hyperbole has blown both guys' real level of play out of the discussion and replaced it with an extreme cartoon of the actual player.

A healthy Berglund on this team right now would be in the top 9 and would allow Hitchcock to have more line combos available to him. I also have a sneaking suspicion that when he DOES come back, we're going to see the good version of Berglund (as in the 20 goal scorer pace, which would be just fine).

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
At this point, changing the coach is a last ditch move, that has to be done now if it is to be done. I doubt management would be willing to take such a big risk at this point in the season. We are 2nd in our division.

As it stands now, i think there is enough there to win the cup, but it would require Allen playing at his peak over the course of a month, and no injuries.

The main problem i have with this team, is the inability show the hidden gear when it comes to the playoffs. Was Minnesota an amazing team? No, but they elevated their play from what we saw in the regular season. The Blues have yet to show any sign of that.

Edit: 2 Minute Minor hits the nail on the head.

You won't see a top gear in the playoffs if our system requires us to play at top gear, at all times, in the regular season to win games.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
You won't see a top gear in the playoffs if our system requires us to play at top gear, at all times, in the regular season to win games.

Look at last year. This team was NOT in high gear all year. They seemingly amped it up during the stretch then came out flat. The Wild played in high gear the whole 2nd half....yet didn't have a problem with us. The Jets play a hard hitting high tempo all year long and still maintained that level against the ducks

Klank Loves You

Feb 21, 2015

I would have agree with you two seasons ago, but if the Blues have been playing on their top gear this season, then it's time for a firesale. Do you think EDM would do Petro for a 3rd rounder?

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
The epic fail by Army is that once you create a proper top 6, all the left-overs are slow and lacking skill. I still have no clue why Army thought we had too many players like Oshie.

Our top 6 should consist of: Tarasenko, Stastny, Steen, Backes, Fabbri, and Schwartz when healthy, so lets say Lehtera or Brouwer.

The 3rd line is left with Lehtera, Brouwer, Jaskin, Paajarvi, Gomez, Upshall, and eventually Berglund. There is not a single player in there that both has at least decent or above average speed and strong on the puck. They are either slow, weak on the puck, or both.

Hitch is left with trying to spread out the wealth, but that only creates a very incomplete lineup that is being carried by 1 line. This season is on Army, it doesn't matter who is coaching this lineup IMO. They will make the playoffs, but fail very early.

It's not even that we need a big-time scorer, some of our offensive issues could be solved with Schwartz and Sobotka types. Guys that can win puck battles in the corner, be strong-enough to maintain possession, and move it to the players that really on crashing the net or making quick plays in space like Lehtera. This is something Berglund will be able to help with when he comes back.

Last edited:

Quaz

Mar 15, 2006
St Louis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberyn View Post
Paajarvi on the top line today. Kill me now.
Better than Jaskin on the top line.

I don't know. Jaskin has some assists on Tarasenko goals this year. Maybe there is some hidden chemistry there.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Paajarvi on the top line today. Kill me now.

So what was more of the unlikely scenario this summer:

Paajarvi on the top line.

Gomez/Upshall/Havlat playing in the top 9.

Parayko living up to this board's expectations.

Team speed not improving and "reckless" being a meaningless word for fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad