The 2015-2016 Blues Discussion Thread - Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
should we just become fans of something else and convert this forum into a community for whatever we decide? Doesn't have to be hockey related. Maybe wine tasting? Roller derby? Opera?

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
You're not my boss

27e9ef3e5e57d19a7bbd702d83175f77.jpg

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
Good call. Clearly I'm still very upset about this and can't think straight. At least, I finally got to see Summer Glau kick ass on the Sarah Connor Chronicles...oh yeah that was Foxed too.

At least Twin Peaks is returning. Oh, and Arrested Development is doing more on Netflix, I hear.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Don't forget the idiots at fox also cancelled Arrested Development.

I want to go back this post from the previous thread and respectfully call ********: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=108323547&postcount=986

Allen HAS to make that save. Were there 5 other blues players on the ice? Sure. Does some of the blame go to them for creating the situation that lead to that shot? Again, sure. SOB chould have gotten the puck deep in their end and our defense could have made better plays.

However any goalie worth his salt has to be able to bail his team out with timely saves every once in a while - and that one should have been routine. The bottom line is that is an easy save for a starting goalie in the NHL. Much less the starter for a playoff team. Much less in a ****ing elimination game. Allen HAS to make that save. Period. Allen's level of fail on that goal is astronomically greater than the offense for not getting the puck in deep or the D for allowing a shot IMO.

I'm not saying we should get rid of Allen, he still has time to improve and in the mean time is a very capable back up. However, after watching Allen last season and early this season I frankly do not trust him to make that save. And more importantly I'm not sure his teammates do either (again IMO based on the way our skaters play when he's in net).

Guess I just felt like a beating a dead horse.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Like I said, Allen should've bailed the team out, but that play was a collapse by everyone, but everyone is posting it to bash Allen. If just 1 single player on the ice did there job, that shot never would've happened. If any one of SOB got the puck in deep or if Gunnar didn't give up with middle of the ice, or if Shattenkirk actually did something.

That's a team failure, just how our playoff failures have been team failures.

Allen made other big saves, and even Quick in the playoffs let plenty of softies against us. Crawford does as well, but for some reason, we expect our goalies to be almost perfect.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Like I said, Allen should've bailed the team out, but that play was a collapse by everyone, but everyone is posting it to bash Allen. If just 1 single player on the ice did there job, that shot never would've happened. If any one of SOB got the puck in deep or if Gunnar didn't give up with middle of the ice, or if Shattenkirk actually did something.

That's a team failure, just how our playoff failures have been team failures.

Allen made other big saves, and even Quick in the playoffs let plenty of softies against us. Crawford does as well, but for some reason, we expect our goalies to be almost perfect.

Respectfully, I disagree. That particular failure belongs to Jake Allen and only Jake Allen IMO. I don't expect our goalies to be perfect, or our skaters for that matter. Offensive, defensive, and goal tending lapses happen all the time. However, there is no excuse for him not making that save, especially given the circumstances.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Frankly I don't really care if anybody else screwed up on that play. That was such a siple save to make that a 5 year old mini mite would have stopped it.
Agreed. Since when do we have to have 5 goalies out there? Allen's job is to stop the puck and if he can't do that on that weak ass shot then what is the point of even icing a team and playing a game? It's 100% his fault.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
He shouldn't get all the blame because there's also no excuse for SOB getting the puck in deep, Gunnarsson giving up the middle of the ice, and Shattenkirk doing nothing. You can't just give up a scoring chance like that. Fontaine has speed, but you can't just let him walk into the slot like that. That's still a prime scoring chance, even though it was a very savable puck. He has a weak 5-hole and should've had his stick down or kept his pads closed, but that's still a team failure.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Now what I don't understand, is everyone blaming Allen and not everyone on the ice, is that a lot of you are comfortable with an Elliott or an Allen type goalie in the playoffs and think we can still win. If that goal is 100% on Allen, then you should have the thought that we need to trade for a high-end goalie, but when that gets brought up, not many have that opinion.

Remember that Penner goal on Elliott, that was by far weaker, but the belief on here was that he still played well enough for us to win the series.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
He shouldn't get all the blame because there's also no excuse for SOB getting the puck in deep, Gunnarsson giving up the middle of the ice, and Shattenkirk doing nothing. You can't just give up a scoring chance like that. Fontaine has speed, but you can't just let him walk into the slot like that. That's still a prime scoring chance, even though it was a very savable puck. He has a weak 5-hole and should've had his stick down or kept his pads closed, but that's still a team failure.
There is an excuse though: that will happen. It is impossible for a team to play a perfect game and give up zero scoring chances. That's why you have a goalie.

I know you can say "well it's impossible for Allen to be perfect too" and yeah I agree, but a shot like that should NEVER go in. That is such a horrible scoring chance, that it should be stopped 100 times out of 100. If those are the types of scoring chances the team is going to allow, they should be in pretty good shape assuming the goalie doesn't **** the bed.

I don't think either Elliott or Allen is the answer though.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
There is an excuse though: that will happen. It is impossible for a team to play a perfect game and give up zero scoring chances. That's why you have a goalie.

I know you can say "well it's impossible for Allen to be perfect too" and yeah I agree, but a shot like that should NEVER go in. That is such a horrible scoring chance, that it should be stopped 100 times out of 100. If those are the types of scoring chances the team is going to allow, they should be in pretty good shape assuming the goalie doesn't **** the bed.

I don't think either Elliott or Allen is the answer though.

Fair enough, as long as you believe they aren't the answer.

My issue is with the people that think they can be the answer. A team can win with them or what I call an "Osgood", but the team has to carry more of the load and you should expect some pretty weak/soft goals. You better believe that Osgood let in similar goals, and he started for the Wings in 2 Cups and 3 deep runs (1 win from 3 Cups).

That's not an excuse for soft goals, but it's important to understand that they will happen, and when you are playing with a non-high-end goalie, the team has to carry more of the burden IMO.

BadgersandBlues

Jun 6, 2011
I just rewatched Serenity this weekend. I also sat through the first season of Dark Matter....it's no Firefly.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
I voiced concern about Fabbri after his injury last year during preseason and that concern hasn't been quieted after his most recent injury against the same team. With him reportedly being close to returning I thought now might be a good time to bring it up and get some of your thoughts.

I think Fabbri is failing to protect himself adequately due to focusing too much on making a play. It's a natural part of his game and certainly comes with it's share of rewards. Unfortunately he's played a handful of preseason games and a few NHL games and been injured twice already. He certainly still has a chance when he returns to make that very necessary adjustment to his game. I hope he's now realized how easy it is to get injured up here and starts more frequently checking how much time he has.

I would keep him with the team regardless, I'm against sending him back to Guelph. He needs to be here honing his game at the NHL level to NHL timing. Obviously the AHL isn't an option this year for him which is an absolute shame. That leaves the Blues or Guelph.

So....keep him with the Blues and hope he makes that adjustment I mentioned? Return him to Guelph? Don't be so concerned and see how he does for x amount of games?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad