The 2015-2016 Blues Discussion Thread - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I'm still surprised how many people still think Fabbri has a shot at making the team this season. Unless someone else is moved before the season starts or Jaskin takes a big step back, I just don't think he has any chance of making it no matter how good of a training camp he has. I know many hate him, but there is a 0% chance Berglund sits if he is on the roster!

Based on how Armstrong has managed the cap, it looks like Rattie or Fabbri (or a longshot like Barbashev) are being projected onto the 23 man roster. Fabbri made a case for making the team last year. He can't go to the AHL. I think chances are greater than not that he is on the roster opening day, and I think he has a strong chance (if healthy) of sticking beyond the 9 games trial.

Berglund doesn't have to sit. But someone always gets hurt, so its not going to be a big deal.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
We have been scared about taking slightly different development paths with players, so I'm starting to expect Fabbri will probably make the roster as an extra skater to start with.

It really depends on whether we see him playing every other game in the NHL is better for his development than being in the OHL. I wouldn't be surprised if he is kept on the roster until December and then look at where we go. Trade someone to create a spot in the top-9, send him back to the OHL or just continue with him playing roughly every other game.

Burning the first year of his ELC is largely meaningless, the big decision is whether he plays more than 40 games, which burns his first RFA year.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I'll say from watching Fabbri almost every junior game last year, it looked like he wasn't as driven. I've seen a few other articles and posters mention it too. Given how close he was to making the NHL, I can understand it being a let down....plus injury concerns too. Why go full throttle and risk injury and possibly your career

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
It's hard because Fabbri has nothing else to prove in the OHL.

He has things to improve, though. I absolutely hate this rhetoric. Nobody has ever flopped in the NHL because they were left in Junior or the AHL for too long. Countless have because they were put in the NHL before they were ready.

STL Blues Fan

Jan 14, 2011
Thinking of picking up a Schwartz jersey from Ice Jerseys while they have 30% off the rest of today and tomorrow. I already got Tarasenko, Pietrangelo, and Shattenkirk. What you guys think? Will we resign him for sure?

Last edited:

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I would think that if Schwartz isn't a Blues for the remainder of the decade....it's his doing

STL Blues Fan

Jan 14, 2011
I'm between him and Stastny, and I just think Schwartz has more of a future. My wife said I could buy it. Lol

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
Thinking of picking up a Schwartz jersey from Ice Jerseys while they have 30% off the rest of today and tomorrow. What you guys think? I already got Tarasenko, Pietrangelo, and Shattenkirk. What you guys think? Will we resign him for sure?

what's this about 30% off?

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I still need to get my home Jersey customized.....I almost thought about being "that guy" and getting Fabbri lol. I'll end up with Tarasenko though.....he ain't going anywhere

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
the 2 that would be my top 2 choices are Shattenkirk and Schwartz...but both those make me nervous

STL Blues Fan

Jan 14, 2011
Screw it, I ordered it. My Tarasenko jersey from them is so nice so I got the Schwartz so I won't wear it down as fast. Only $145.95 with free shipping! I'll be pissed if we don't resign him though, but I think we will.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
I still need to get my home Jersey customized.....I almost thought about being "that guy" and getting Fabbri lol. I'll end up with Tarasenko though.....he ain't going anywhere

the problem with Fabbri is that we don't know what number he'll be. he's been wearing 15 in camp but maybe he goes back to 9 after Ott leaves, or something completely different.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
the problem with Fabbri is that we don't know what number he'll be. he's been wearing 15 in camp but maybe he goes back to 9 after Ott leaves, or something completely different.
"??" Problem solved lol

HappyGilmore

May 5, 2015
Because he's ultra skilled...... and everything managment has said and signaled over the last year points to that it's in Fabbri's hands if he makes it or not

Tarasenko, Schwartz, and Grandlund were even more skilled with even higher potential than fabbri and they were not impact NHL players at the age of 19 turning 20. Slow down people. Have patience. Its likely fabbri wont be the player you guys envision until a few more years.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Tarasenko, Schwartz, and Grandlund were even more skilled with even higher potential than fabbri and they were not impact NHL players at the age of 19 turning 20. Slow down people. Have patience. Its likely fabbri wont be the player you guys envision until a few more years.

Why do people keep saying this...... no one is expecting Fabbri to come in and win the Calder. What I've said and have been saying is that he's highly skilled 2 way guy. As in even if he only puts up 30pts, he won't ever be a liability. As for Schwartz, I think Fabbri has a higher offensive ceiling. So no, I don't need to slow down. My only expectations is that he makes the team and is a noticeable contributor, not an "impact" player

HappyGilmore

May 5, 2015
Why do people keep saying this...... no one is expecting Fabbri to come in and win the Calder. What I've said and have been saying is that he's highly skilled 2 way guy. As in even if he only puts up 30pts, he won't ever be a liability. As for Schwartz, I think Fabbri has a higher offensive ceiling. So no, I don't need to slow down. My only expectations is that he makes the team and is a noticeable contributor, not an "impact" player

Because the hype surrounding him is ridiculous. He wont ever be a liability? Way too soon to tell. And he definitely doesnt have more offensive potential than schwartz. Fabbri is expected by pro scouts to be a high end second liner. Schwartz is expected to be a bona fide first liner.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Because the hype surrounding him is ridiculous. He wont ever be a liability? Way too soon to tell. And he definitely doesnt have more offensive potential than schwartz. Fabbri is expected by pro scouts to be a high end second liner. Schwartz is expected to be a bona fide first liner.

I can't speak for others but I've been pretty consistent about Fabbri, and I explained my expectations for him.

Which pro scouts? Several have different opinions. From what I've seen of Fabbri, his vision is better and overall shot selection is better, now we're not talking about leaps and bounds better, but it's there. Skating would probably be a wash between them as I havnt seen them side by side and Schwartz doesn't showcase his speed on a daily basis. Both play the same small guy, hard nosed game.

From the day they were drafted, I said Fabbri would be the better of him and Barbashev and would be a NHL'er sooner. Some posters laughed at that as Barbashev had the NHL body and here we are 1yr later, Fabbri has a legit chance to make it while Barbashev isn't close. Point is, I've been close to on the Money with Fabbri, I'll stick with my assessment of him. If a couple years down the line, I've been proven wrong, that's fine too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad