The 2014 Off-Season 'What should he improve'-Thread

Stamper

Mar 26, 2014
In the woods
So was thinking here that I have kind if slim knowledge of some of the strengths a,D weaknesses our guys have, so I came up with this thread where I'd like to know what, and why, YOU think the given player, for example Hedman, should try to improve in the off season in order to become better player. For example I think Hedman should practice his shot, especially slapper accuracy because on the PP he always seems to either shoot at the dman or 10 feet wide of the net. :teach2:

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Just a few:

Stamkos, Johnson - faceoffs
Hedman - shot accuracy
Kucherov, Sustr, Gudas - body strength / stamina
Purcell, Barberio, Kucherov - defense
Purcell, Panik, Connolly - psyche

Stamper

Mar 26, 2014
In the woods
Just a few:

Stamkos, Johnson - faceoffs
Hedman - shot accuracy
Kucherov, Sustr, Gudas - body strength / stamina
Purcell, Barberio, Kucherov - defense
Purcell, Panik, Connolly - psyche

Is there anything else really preventing Panik from being a 1-line power forward than his psyche and hockeyIQ?

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Is there anything else really preventing Panik from being a 1-line power forward than his psyche and hockeyIQ?

I wouldn't even say it's his hockey IQ - I really think it's his head, and generally consistency. He has all the tools to be an excellent top 6 player.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
I hope they all work on strength and most go to roberts camp or a camp and see what is available to help them achieve more if that is callahan or a veteran defender to make their lives better and easier by moving down a rung? That is what this off season focus should be about.

I really want to see Vladdy Namestnikov and his summer work and see what he brings to camp him and ERNE to me and probably Sustr are the biggest impacts I want to see what they bring and am excited about.

Yes vasi is coming and drouin but I dont think either has much work to do compared to those three names I am more excited about myself. See their growth from the last camp. I think all three are closer than we expect.

KoekKoek is the wild card in all of this I just want to see him healthy to see what we have or get a first glimpse:)

I have high hopes if we dont sign callahan in purcell reverting to the form he had 2 years ago hopefully he had a very bad year and this year is more the 60 point 20 goal guy. I have faith he has it in him still but would rather we move him and give the kids more time. Yet if forced to go with him I do not want a repeat of last year so whatever he can do mentally cause think with him is mental he needs to do it:)

Stamper

Mar 26, 2014
In the woods
I hope they all work on strength and most go to roberts camp or a camp and see what is available to help them achieve more if that is callahan or a veteran defender to make their lives better and easier by moving down a rung? That is what this off season focus should be about.

I really want to see Vladdy Namestnikov and his summer work and see what he brings to camp him and ERNE to me and probably Sustr are the biggest impacts I want to see what they bring and am excited about.

Yes vasi is coming and drouin but I dont think either has much work to do compared to those three names I am more excited about myself. See their growth from the last camp. I think all three are closer than we expect.

KoekKoek is the wild card in all of this I just want to see him healthy to see what we have or get a first glimpse:)

I have high hopes if we dont sign callahan in purcell reverting to the form he had 2 years ago hopefully he had a very bad year and this year is more the 60 point 20 goal guy. I have faith he has it in him still but would rather we move him and give the kids more time. Yet if forced to go with him I do not want a repeat of last year so whatever he can do mentally cause think with him is mental he needs to do it:)

What do you think Sustr should improve in order to handle top 4 minutes regularly in the season? And what is the biggest thing Vladdy needs to improve because I don't have that deep knowledge of his weaknesses :help:

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
What do you think Sustr should improve in order to handle top 4 minutes regularly in the season? And what is the biggest thing Vladdy needs to improve because I don't have that deep knowledge of his weaknesses :help:

They're both skinny and need to add muscle to handle physical contact and especially for Namestnikov to not get hurt. We can say that about a lot of or youngsters that they need to bulk up, they also need endurance as some of them slowed down as the season wore on.

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
If Sustr can add some weight to his frame this summer then he can easily slot into the second pairing. Same with Vladdy, if he puts on some muscle he'll be ready for the NHL; he's already shown he has the skill to hang.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
If Sustr can add some weight to his frame this summer then he can easily slot into the second pairing. Same with Vladdy, if he puts on some muscle he'll be ready for the NHL; he's already shown he has the skill to hang.

Sustr had the newborn calf look going on a few times this season too. When he was on his game though, he looked pretty good. I don't think his ceiling his all that huge (pun intended) though unless he adds other elements to his game.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com

I would prefer sustr not getting top four minutes. I do not want gudas and brewer together I think that is a disaster so sustr brewer is what I want to see and yes that means gud's is playing with carle again but is the hand we are dealt:)

I disagree with people on vladdy he has a body conditioned for nhl he is like palat. He is not as skinny as kucherov and we will see that in time. Vladdy has a body like palats only younger and I think he is ready myself. I think he is very physical in his style and strong. Time will tell.

Vladdy needs to just be calm take everything in stride and play like he does in ahl.

He led the best line in ahl to start year with kucherov and brownov. He turned connolly's season around when connolly was in super funk land.

Panik you can argue turned his season around with olympics but that guy namestnikov? He was put on that line with panik and all of a sudden he was lighting it up.

Thats why am excited for him.

Going back to sustr he just needs to play his game and especially play big use that reach play solid and smart and as he gets comfortable jump in expand his game like barberio did for a couple weeks. Unfortunately for barberio and us barbs break out was very short and quick and he just wasnt ready. I think sustr is etc.. I have zero doubts he is a rock solid 5-6 for us next year.

EVERYONE needs to work on muscle etc.. :)

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Purcell- shooting and scoring more
Purcell- not going 13 games between goals
Purcell- stop passing so much
Johnson and Stamkos- staying onside during the breakout
Hedman- get more physical
Carle- stop the turnovers
Crombeen- learn how to fight
Brown- finshing scoring chances

Stamper

Mar 26, 2014
In the woods
I would prefer sustr not getting top four minutes. I do not want gudas and brewer together I think that is a disaster so sustr brewer is what I want to see and yes that means gud's is playing with carle again but is the hand we are dealt:)

I disagree with people on vladdy he has a body conditioned for nhl he is like palat. He is not as skinny as kucherov and we will see that in time. Vladdy has a body like palats only younger and I think he is ready myself. I think he is very physical in his style and strong. Time will tell.

Vladdy needs to just be calm take everything in stride and play like he does in ahl.

He led the best line in ahl to start year with kucherov and brownov. He turned connolly's season around when connolly was in super funk land.

Panik you can argue turned his season around with olympics but that guy namestnikov? He was put on that line with panik and all of a sudden he was lighting it up.

Thats why am excited for him.

Going back to sustr he just needs to play his game and especially play big use that reach play solid and smart and as he gets comfortable jump in expand his game like barberio did for a couple weeks. Unfortunately for barberio and us barbs break out was very short and quick and he just wasnt ready. I think sustr is etc.. I have zero doubts he is a rock solid 5-6 for us next year.

EVERYONE needs to work on muscle etc.. :)

Vladdy being ready for the NHL is all fine and good, but will he succeed as our 3rd center when we can give him linemates like Killorn and Brown? Or can he play wing decently if we ease him in with Thompson as his C? :dunno:

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Vladdy being ready for the NHL is all fine and good, but will he succeed as our 3rd center when we can give him linemates like Killorn and Brown? Or can he play wing decently if we ease him in with Thompson as his C? :dunno:

all depends? still think we make a move and depending on who winds up our number two defender (meaning whom we lose vladdy will be a very good option for whatever roll we put on him.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
If Brown could learn to put the puck in the net he'd be awesome.

He's still awesome. Great third line potential. Honestly, I'd want him to improve a bit on his defensive play and make him another lockdown winger - although more points is always good.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
He's still awesome. Great third line potential. Honestly, I'd want him to improve a bit on his defensive play and make him another lockdown winger - although more points is always good.

Yeah, he has the potential to be a world class grinder IMO. His speed is elite. There are times when I think he might be faster than Johnson. I hope he's a staple in our bottom six for a long time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad