Speculation: The 2014-2015 Off-season Prediction Thread

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
If I'm Murray:

I offer Ryan an extension as soon as it is possible. If it appears he isn't willing to sign one before the season, I investigate trading him. I spread the word around the league that Ryan is available. Set the price at top 4 RD, 2015 1st round pick. Watch teams start biting when the few good UFAs this year get snatched up.

I'd dump Greening to a team like Calgary that could use a bottom 6 grinder and isn't afraid of his contract. I'd also get rid of Condra to any team looking for a good penalty killer. Trading these two opens up over 3M in salary for next season. I'd also trade Wiercioch to any team willing to give up a 2014 1st round pick in return. Would open up another 2M in salary.

I'd look to add a bit more grit in the bottom 6. I'd make an offer for Kyle Clifford. He's a young enforcer that can play a regular shift. Could be a good replacement for Neil down the road. Given that LA was interested in Sam Gagner and were looking to add more skill to their lineup, I'd offer Da Costa and a pick for Clifford.

If Callahan makes it to UFA, I offer him 7M on a long-term contract. He's the perfect forward for this team. Guy who can put up 50-60 points while playing physical, defensively responsible hockey. He'd be overpaid by a million, but the leadership presence he would bring would make it worth it.

I would certainly re-sign Hemsky. I'd offer 8M for two years. Could probably get him at 4.5M a season for two years.

End result?

Hoffman - Spezza - Hemsky
MacArthur - Turris - Callahan
Smith - Zibanejad - Stone
Clifford - Pageau - Neil
Grant

Methot - Karlsson
Cowen - Top 4 RD
Phillips - Ceci
Borowiecki, Gryba

Anderson
Lehner

Much better than what we have now, much better in the future as well. Just a bit of creative management and our team could look a hell of a lot better going into next season.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
If the Sens make one major addition this summer they desperately need it to be a defenseman.

I'll be more then happy if they can keep Hemsky and go with the status quo up front, perhaps a youngster breaks in from bingo and looks good in the top six as long as they can bring in some legit help on the blueline.

I don't think so, they have 8 defencemen signed for next season with the only difference being Borweicki signed for next yr & Corvo gone. Are you suggesting they sign a 9th? If they went after another defenceman what do you suggest would happen with the defencemen they have? If the plan was to bring in a defenceman then why re-sign Phillips? Doesn't make sense to me although it's hard to argue they couldn't use an experienced defenceman to settle this group down but they will all have another yr of experience & could have a better yr next season.

Would Ceci be returned to Bingo? I doubt it since he has been playing so well in Ottawa, he seems to have filled that need for a PMD. Of course, if he could have a softmore slump next yr & they could send him back but they have Wiercioch & Boroweicki sitting around too.

Will they trade a defenceman? They could but that still leaves them with 7 plus the new guy they bring in brings them back up to 8 defencemen. Hard to know but because of these reasons I just don't see a defenceman signed or traded for at least not for 20 games or so depending on how they do next yr.

ChabotToTrot

Jul 22, 2011
Ottawa
Well, I would say first off we have to identify who we for sure want to keep, and would only trade for a significant upgrade in that role. To me that is

xxx-Spezza-Hemsky
MacArthur-Turris-Ryan
xxx-Zibanejad-xxx
xxx-Smith-Neil
Pageau, Stone

xxx-Karlsson
Methot-Ceci
xxx-xxx

Anderson
Lehner

That leaves Michalek, Condra, Greening, Hoffman, Da Costa, Kassian, Cowen, Phillips, Wiercioch, Gryba, Borowiecki, Hammond, and Lawson as players who played at least one game this year that aren't on the list, and need to be looked at more closely.

Michalek: Knee injuries seem to have caught up with him, he is just taking up a spot that a prospect could use to learn, let him walk

Condra: Not as good as he was in the past, still decent on the PK despite the team being terrible on the PK, try to package in a trade but if we can't he can stay

Greening: Pains me to say it as a fan of him since his rookie year, but a big decline. Being on GSN has hurt him for sure, but he doesn't have any offensive touch he used to. Trade him in a package if you can, but if nobody will take his contract then scratch him the first few games in a desperate attempt he will turn his game around. Too bad, we could use a 2011-2012 Greening on this team.

Hoffman: Has shown good signs in the NHL level, but still can't seem to score. Keep him, but don't be afraid to add him to a trade package for something better

Da Costa: Still can't seem to find a place on the team despite some strong NHL play. Try to find a trading partner that will take him in a package, and it will be better for everyone

Kassian: Meh, he has his role and he plays it well enough. No point getting rid of him unless something better comes along

Cowen: Disappointing to see him struggle this year, but he still has lot's of potential. Keep him in hopes he bounces back

Phillips: Terrible contract, unlikely a team will take him, and he has a limited NTC anyways. Try to play him in a 6/7 role with limited minutes, and if it gets bad enough consider a buy out

Wiercioch: I like him a lot, but unfortunately for him he might be in an odd man out sort of position on the blue line. I would like to see him be the guy that usually plays, other than the odd game that Phillips plays.

Gryba: Has been decent defensively. Wouldn't mind bringing him back, but there is still the fact that we have 7 dman and desperately need and upgrade. Probably should trade him, and open a spot up for Wiercioch.

Borowiecki: Has some potential, but isn't there yet. Keep in Bingo unless a good trade is offered

Hammond: Keep in Bingo unless a good trade is offered

Lawson: Keep in Bingo unless a good trade is offered

That brings us to

xxx-Spezza-Hemsky
MacArthur-Turris-Ryan
xxx-Zibanejad-xxx
xxx-Smith-Neil
Pageau, Stone

xxx-Karlsson
Methot-Ceci
Cowen-Wiercioch
Philips

Anderson
Lehner

The biggest hole there is the first d pairing and we should try to fill that in the free agency. I would say MacDonald is my first choice, and looking on the Flyers board they seem happy with him. There are other UFA d-men though.

For the four winger holes I would like to try to make one trade for a top or 3rd liner, and let our prospects fill the rest. Play traded player with Spezza, play Stone, with Zibanejad give Pageau a chance on the wing, give Lazar the 9 game try out. If a trade can't be made play Hammond for the first couple weeks, then give Greening one last chance after being scratched a few games. If he doesn't play like 2011-2012 Greening then buy him out.

That leaves us with something like this

Traded Player/Stone-Spezza-Hemsky
MacArthur-Turris-Ryan
Pageau-Zibanejad-Hammond/Greening/Stone
Lazar-Smith-Neil
Hammond/Greening

MacDonald-Karlsson
Methot-Ceci
Cowen-Wiercioch
Philips

Anderson
Lehner

You are aware Hammond is a goalie right? Or are you talking about Hoffman?

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
If I'm Murray:

I offer Ryan an extension as soon as it is possible. If it appears he isn't willing to sign one before the season, I investigate trading him. I spread the word around the league that Ryan is available. Set the price at top 4 RD, 2015 1st round pick. Watch teams start biting when the few good UFAs this year get snatched up.

I'd dump Greening to a team like Calgary that could use a bottom 6 grinder and isn't afraid of his contract. I'd also get rid of Condra to any team looking for a good penalty killer. Trading these two opens up over 3M in salary for next season. I'd also trade Wiercioch to any team willing to give up a 2014 1st round pick in return. Would open up another 2M in salary.

I'd look to add a bit more grit in the bottom 6. I'd make an offer for Kyle Clifford. He's a young enforcer that can play a regular shift. Could be a good replacement for Neil down the road. Given that LA was interested in Sam Gagner and were looking to add more skill to their lineup, I'd offer Da Costa and a pick for Clifford.

If Callahan makes it to UFA, I offer him 7M on a long-term contract. He's the perfect forward for this team. Guy who can put up 50-60 points while playing physical, defensively responsible hockey. He'd be overpaid by a million, but the leadership presence he would bring would make it worth it.

I would certainly re-sign Hemsky. I'd offer 8M for two years. Could probably get him at 4.5M a season for two years.

End result?

Hoffman - Spezza - Hemsky
MacArthur - Turris - Callahan
Smith - Zibanejad - Stone
Clifford - Pageau - Neil
Grant

Methot - Karlsson
Cowen - Top 4 RD
Phillips - Ceci
Borowiecki, Gryba

Anderson
Lehner

Much better than what we have now, much better in the future as well. Just a bit of creative management and our team could look a hell of a lot better going into next season.

I like this roster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad