OT: The 2014-2015 Boston Celtics/NBA Thread III

13Hockey

Go Bruins
Jul 20, 2006
Boston
Not bad....I think they'll be competitive in the East

I think they win the Atlantic Div

But I hear there just gonna seed 1-8 so all winning the Div does is clinch a playoff berth I say they finish 6th in the Conference behind

Cavs
Heat
Bulls
Wizard
Hawks
Cs
Bucks
Raptors

nickyb

May 5, 2004
I think they win the Atlantic Div

But I hear there just gonna seed 1-8 so all winning the Div does is clinch a playoff berth I say they finish 6th in the Conference behind

Cavs
Heat
Bulls
Wizard
Hawks
Cs
Bucks
Raptors

I think they'll finish 4-5 in the East tbh

jdz

May 22, 2013
So 15 man roster with no trades

Thomas
Bradley
Crowder
Johnson
Lee

Smart
Turner
Jerbko
Sullinger
Zeller

Olynk
Mickey
Rozier
Jones
Hunter/Young

Danny is going to have to make a trade next year before the 2016 draft. Otherwise they're going to have too many young first round picks to fit in the roster.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Danny is going to have to make a trade next year before the 2016 draft. Otherwise they're going to have too many young first round picks to fit in the roster.

I agree - right now Boston could possibly have 8 1st round picks over the next 3 NBA Drafts. :amazed:

- Boston
- Brooklyn
- Dallas ( top 7 protected for 2016-2020 )
- Minnesota ( via Phoenix - protected top 12 in 2016. If not used then becomes 2016 and 2017 2nd round picks from Phoenix )

- option to switch 1st round picks with Brooklyn
- Memphis ( protected top 10 in 2017, top 12 in 2018, top 8 in 2019, top 6 in 2020 and unprotected in 2021 )

- Boston
- Brooklyn

Complete list of future picks: http://www.prosportstransactions.com/basketball/DraftTrades/Future/Celtics.htm

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine

some of you are forgetting, you don't play all 15 players, and some of these draftees will likely be in Portland (D-League).

jdz

May 22, 2013
some of you are forgetting, you don't play all 15 players, and some of these draftees will likely be in Portland (D-League).

Having a good 7 or 8 first round picks warming the bench or running around for your D-League affiliate is pretty poor asset management.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
They will rue the day they didn't suck enough to get Justice Winslow

jdz

May 22, 2013
They will rue the day they didn't suck enough to get Justice Winslow

They tried.

If the cost to move up 7 spots to get him is 5 picks (apparently it was), you can hardly blame Danny for putting the phone down.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Funny thing is, Danny didn't put the phone down. He admitted later that he probably offered way too much.

The Hornets turning down the package to pick Kaminsky is laugh out loud funny. The Heat turning down the package to pick Winslow was smart on their part IMO. They got a very good team going into next year.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Funny thing is, Danny didn't put the phone down. He admitted later that he probably offered way too much.

The Hornets turning down the package to pick Kaminsky is laugh out loud funny. The Heat turning down the package to pick Winslow was smart on their part IMO. They got a very good team going into next year.

Jordan was right in thinking that the 15th pick was G-A-R-B-A-G-E. Might be wrong about Frank the tank but he wasn't wrong deeming our pick worthless and akin to a 2nd rounder.

Sure Rozier might work out but our 2 later picks were both the same level of prospect as him there was honestly no difference between 15 and 30 this particular year and most C's fans like RJ and Mickey more. Thing with Kaminsky is I don't see him being a good solid contributor I figure if he isn't an Adam Morrison type bust he'll be a star or close to it.

Its a shame we paid such a large price for making the playoffs and the Heat hit the jackpot.

Also Ainge is no longer in any position of power making trades. Every GM will be able to squeeze an extra first rounder out of him in any deal with make because we have too many bodies and not enough roster spots.

He had to trade 5 picks to move up in the draft just so that there was room for everyone. Obviously the picks aren't worthless or anything but there is nothing stopping teams from demanding 2-3 first rounders now instead of just one and saying deals off if we don't do it.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
They tried.

If the cost to move up 7 spots to get him is 5 picks (apparently it was), you can hardly blame Danny for putting the phone down.

They tried to get him draft day but they suck a little more he's there- I bet history shows he is one of top 5 players in draft

Mr Cartmenez

May 15, 2009
Mannheim
Its a shame we paid such a large price for making the playoffs and the Heat hit the jackpot.

That was known all along. I bet Ainge would have rather missed the PO's than getting destroyed by the #8 seed (which was actually the expected result).

It is what it is in the NBA. He**, even OKC picked LOWER than us. You know, the team with Westbrook and probably the 2nd or 3rd best player in the league. What a joke...
Of course they got the most out of that roster and Stevens deserves a lot of credit, but what if he quits here and heads back to college? We'd be left without a (great) coach and missed the rebuilding phase by having overachieved.

Face it, Danny and his "assets" got exposed. They are obviously not worth a damn when DA couldn't even move up 5 spots by offering a kings ransom.
They can only hope to luck out with the Nets picks and Mavs 1st rounder.

What I like about their rebuilding plan is that they are trying to stay in striking distance (in terms of roster strength and financial flexibility). If a superstar finally decides to sign here, they likely will immediately contend. My guess is that our next "star" will come via trade.

Rumpy

Mar 13, 2002
Saskatchewan
Visit site
As just a basketball observer why does Boston struggle to get "all stars" in free agency?!?

LA is LA Miami is Miami but didn't KG at first nix the trade to Boston from Minny?

New York is the basketball Mecca but you'd think Chicago and Boston should be right next in line?!?

The colleges have something to do with it wher Harvard BC Providence North Western even Indiana aren't that good ever?!?

Anytime a name hits the market its LA Miami Houston Dallas New York and all the rest :popcorn:

Ten Thousand Hours

Aug 17, 2010
Boston
As just a basketball observer why does Boston struggle to get "all stars" in free agency?!?

LA is LA Miami is Miami but didn't KG at first nix the trade to Boston from Minny?

New York is the basketball Mecca but you'd think Chicago and Boston should be right next in line?!?

The colleges have something to do with it wher Harvard BC Providence North Western even Indiana aren't that good ever?!?

Anytime a name hits the market its LA Miami Houston Dallas New York and all the rest :popcorn:

We haven't really been in a situation to add free agents in a long time. We were over the cap forever and this year, the only star who changed teams didn't go to LA or New York, he went to the Patriots of the nba cus that was the best basketball fit. The Celtics can't compete with the Spurs in terms of a winning environment.

Next year's free agent class is pretty much usless, so the same narrative will pop up again, but we're not in the minority or anything in not being able to attract stars - there just aren't very many who change teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad