OT: The 2014-2015 Boston Celtics/NBA Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ten Thousand Hours

Aug 17, 2010
Boston
That made no sense.

What you said was wrong. I was confused, but it was just you being wrong. Now that we've confirmed you were wrong I'm not confused.

Jesus christ. I mistype top 3 pick instead of bottom 3 record and you think my entire point is wrong. Teams aren't tanking just to get a top 3 pick. Your system doesn't reduce tanking whatsoever.

jdz

May 22, 2013
The highest likelihood is that the celtics pick 4-7 this year.

Not necessarily a bad thing. Can still easily get the best player of any individual draft in the NBA at that spot.

Danny has also shown a willingness to trade picks at any spot to acquire veteran impact players, so it might be much ado about nothing.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Jesus christ. I mistype top 3 pick instead of bottom 3 record and you think my entire point is wrong. Teams aren't tanking just to get a top 3 pick. Your system doesn't reduce tanking whatsoever.

First, you didn't mistype. You were wrong. As evidence by initially defending it and not modifying it.

And yes, my system obviously does reduce tanking. It doesn't eliminate it entirely. Nothing ever will short of the "Wheel" or "non-weighted" lottery.

You were wrong. It's okay. Everyone is sometimes.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
That doesn't stop tanking though. The Celtics have no shot at a top 3 pick this year. But we're pretty much tanking. At least the gm is. No players on any team lose intentionally. And Philly would be doing the same thing they're doing even if they couldn't draft top 3. They wouldn't have acquired good players because youth and a top 4 pick is better than a handful of extra wins. And, again, the players aren't the ones losing intentionally.

I still like the idea that was (not so seriously) floated around a year ago. Every team rotates through all the draft positions (not in order 1-30, but in some specific order that makes sense) regardless of team performance. There'd have to be a plan for how to include possible expansion but it could work, it'd be fair and it would completely eliminate tanking.

Then that is the biggest typo known to man and even it was a typo then that sentence makes no sense at all.

Ten Thousand Hours

Aug 17, 2010
Boston
First, you didn't mistype. You were wrong. As evidence by initially defending it and not modifying it.

And yes, my system obviously does reduce tanking. It doesn't eliminate it entirely. Nothing ever will short of the "Wheel" or "non-weighted" lottery.

You were wrong. It's okay. Everyone is sometimes.

You really think I'm that stupid that I don't know that there's a lottery? I follow the NBA as much as the other sports. I know there's a lottery and that every non-playoff team at least has a small chance of getting a top 3 pick. I obviously meant to say bottom 3 record. Or top 3 odds.

Your system doesn't reduce tanking whatsoever. If the 76ers couldn't get a top 3 pick this year, how would their season be played any differently? What motivation would they have had to keep a guy like Thad Young? Or draft guys who were more NBA ready than Embiid or Saric? Or sign a vet like Deng? What motivation would they have to win now? Decreasing the upside of tanking doesn't reduce the motivation to tank at all because the result of tanking without a top 3 pick on the table is still much higher than the result of trying to win with a roster like the 76ers'.

Then that is the biggest typo known to man and even it was a typo then that sentence makes no sense at all.

Really? Saying pick instead of odds of a pick is the biggest typo known to man? What doesn't make sense? Who doesn't know that there's a lottery?

Ten Thousand Hours

Aug 17, 2010
Boston
And some people belabor one small mistake even though it makes no difference in what I was trying to say. Frustrating really.

Obviously I was wrong when I said the Celtics have no chance at a top 3 pick.

jdz

May 22, 2013
And some people belabor one small mistake even though it makes no difference in what I was trying to say. Frustrating really.

Obviously I was wrong when I said the Celtics have no chance at a top 3 pick.

Could have just said they have "pretty much" no chance and you would have been bang on. Nitpickers will be nitpickers.

5RJFFit.png

So currently as the standings are we have a 4% chance at the first pick, 5% chance at the second pick, and 6% chance at the third pick. Not exactly encouraging until you get into the worst 4 teams in the league, and currently constructed and coached, we're just not built that poorly.

Trade any combination of Turner, Prince, Thornton, Bass at the deadline though, and then things get interesting.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad