OT: The 2014-2015 Boston Celtics/NBA Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
I guess I'll just leave some Celtics rumors/offseason plans that have been reported so far:

• Jay King from masslive.com says that the Celtics are interested in Hayward, but it's unlikely Utah will let him go.

• Interest in Kent Basemore

Baxter Holmes @BaxterHolmes
    Confirmed that one of Brad Stevens’ first calls was to @KentBazemore20. The two faced off in college, so they know each other well. #Celtics

• More guards??

Alex Kennedy @AlexKennedyNBA
    The Boston Celtics were first team to call restricted free agent Isaiah Thomas when free agency started, per source. Danny Ainge called.

Brian Windhorst @WindhorstESPN
    The Celtics reached out to Isaiah Thomas tonight. Interesting, the Kings and Celtics had recently been in talks on Rajon Rondo deal.

Alex Kennedy @AlexKennedyNBA
    With the Celtics reaching out to free agent Isaiah Thomas and drafting Marcus Smart, it makes you wonder if Rajon Rondo trade may be coming.

Potential in a Rondo for Isaiah Thomas, Stauskas, and a pick type of deal??

• The Celtics extended a $3.6 million qualifying offer on Monday that gives them the chance to match any offer that Bradley receives during Free Agency. He wants to remain a Celtic, but we'll see.

• Rumor: Rondo wants a $100 million contract extension. Could be a reason why we are hearing rumors of a trade.

Here's a few things that have happened around the NBA as Free Agency started today.

• The Philadelphia 76ers placed a call for Avery Bradley.
  • Paul Pierce is rumored to either going to the Los Angeles Clippers or stay with the Brooklyn Nets.
  • Kyrie Irving signed a max contract with the Cleveland Cavaliers, 5 years $90 million.
  • Pistons, Mavericks, Lakers, and Heat are also looking at Isaiah Thomas.
  • Lebron James, Dwayne Wade, and Chris Bosh opted out of their contracts to give Pat Riley wiggle room in Free Agency. The Heat are also reportedly interested in Luol Deng and pretty much every other Free Agent.
  • Raptors offered Kyle Lowry a contract that starts with $12 million. Other teams interested are Houston and the Heat.

Shaun

Oct 12, 2010
a lot of money for someone who is constantly injured

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Elite D. Good offense if he can be a 3rd or 4th option. Like having him to complement our draft picks who should both be better scorers.

4 years is a good length.

Ten Thousand Hours

Aug 17, 2010
Boston
Was in the Top 30 in the NBA in 3-point FG% last year and averaged nearly 15 points per game. He's a very good "3-and-D" guy who's still only 23 years old.

I'm not complaining about his contract. Especially because of his age and his improvement since his rookie year. But he's not a good third option on a good team. He might end the year as the Celtic's 5th option behind Green, Rondo, Sully and one of Smart and Young. And we stink right now. Of course, we might trade guys, but just because he can be the second or third option on one of the worst teams in the NBA doesn't mean that's what we should sign him for. We coulda kept Jordan Crawford to do that.

Ten Thousand Hours

Aug 17, 2010
Boston
So Sacramento got Darren Collison. Toronto kept Lowry. Doesn't look like there are many good options for Rondo. At this point, I'd rather sign him to a max extension than lose him for nothing. Cap space certainly won't help us. And it's not like Rondo's that old.

I hope Rondo, Bradley and Smart can share the floor. I know that's a really small lineup, but being small isn't an issue on offense, and those are 3 pretty tenacious defenders.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Didn't Smart just sign his rookie deal yesterday (or was it Young)? I heard it mentioned in passing yesterday afternoon but didn't catch the name.

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
Didn't Smart just sign his rookie deal yesterday (or was it Young)? I heard it mentioned in passing yesterday afternoon but didn't catch the name.

You're correct, it was Smart. He can't be traded for thirty days now (if the Celtics are even considering that option).

Shaun

Oct 12, 2010
Ive never understood how the NBA salary cap works to be honest. What value is there in a Pierce Trade exception?

they can take back salary in a trade without giving anything up.

they have $35m~ coming off the books next summer so if they can't get Love through a trade they'll have a max contract slot available for him.

Ten Thousand Hours

Aug 17, 2010
Boston
I basically did that in the NBA trade machine this morning, but with Tristan Thompson coming our way instead of Zeller and a 1st (and with Bogans' non-guaranteed fake money going to Cleveland). I should start a NBA_insiderrrr twitter handle.

Hopefully the pick is unprotected and LeBron doesn't go back. But more likely we're looking at a pick in the 20s and a decent backup center. I'll take it, considering it's basically free. Glad we didn't waste the trade exception.

edit: pick is top 10 protected in 2016, 2017 and 2018, then unprotected in 2019 and there's no way Cleveland's a bottom 10 team all 3 years.

double edit: and Thornton's only 27. I thought he was older. He scored 18.7 ppg 3 years ago and 21.3 ppg 4 years ago. He's been down around 12 in the last couple years, but in limited minutes. Some team might want him. And he's an expiring contract.

Last edited:

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
So, that trade last year now reads:

To Brooklyn:
C/F Kevin Garnett
F Paul Pierce
G Jason Terry (Traded to Sacramento for G Marcus Thornton)
F DJ White (Released)

To Boston:
F Kris Humphries
F Gerald Wallace
G MarShon Brooks*
G Keith Bogans
F Kris Joseph (Released)
G James Young (1st round pick in 2014)
2016 1st Round Pick
2018 1st Round Pick
Option to swap picks with Brooklyn in 2017
$10.5 million Trade Exception (...used to acquire C Tyler Zeller, G Marcus Thornton, and a 2016 1st Round Pick from Cleveland.)

* Brooks and G Jordan Crawford were traded to Golden State in exchange for two 2nd Round Picks from Philadelphia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad