Speculation: The 2014 1st

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
Ummmmm how? We're in the 5th spot. GM's don't move their picks on hypothetically saying well we could be better. I can't believe any Flames fan would want to move their first ever top 5 pick.

Take a look at games played compared to points.

Last edited:

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Ummmmm how? We're in the 5th spot. GM's don't move their picks on hypothetically saying well we could be better. I can't believe any Flames fan would want to move their first ever top 5 pick.

Well they're a win away of being tied for 20th in the league, to start. Two wins would put them in a tie for 17th.

A top five pick isn't exactly a lock at this point. Even so, to trade the pick with so many variables isn't ideal. You'd at least (both as a buyer and a seller) want to know where that pick would be before moving it.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Given their situation, if the pick is in the top ten, they shouldn't move it. And if the pick is 11-30, they shouldn't move, specifically because the draft is a crapshoot. They need all the first rounders they can get at this point. Didn't Edmonton trade out of the first round with the pick that was Zach Parise, and Dallas did it with the pick that was Corey Perry? It can be dangerous for a rebuilding team. On the other hand, they could have 4 first rounders and miss on all of them when they could have traded them for a star. But, I don't think they're going to land any stars with this pick unless they packaged the pick with Cammalleri+

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Given their situation, if the pick is in the top ten, they shouldn't move it. And if the pick is 11-30, they shouldn't move, specifically because the draft is a crapshoot. They need all the first rounders they can get at this point. Didn't Edmonton trade out of the first round with the pick that was Zach Parise, and Dallas did it with the pick that was Corey Perry? It can be dangerous for a rebuilding team. On the other hand, they could have 4 first rounders and miss on all of them when they could have traded them for a star. But, I don't think they're going to land any stars with this pick unless they packaged the pick with Cammalleri+

So what you're saying is they should move it?:sarcasm:

Goodlad

Jan 15, 2013
If Reinhart, Ekblad, and Drasaitl are gone, what about the idea of trading our 1st for Adam Larsson?
If Reinhart, Ekblad, and Drasaitl are gone then you draft Dal Colle and try to get a defenseman later in the draft. I don't want to see us trading away 1st round picks, or trading down any time soon.

QcFlames12

Feb 1, 2012
I'd easily (at this point) take Dal Colle before Drasaitl anyways. I'd also rather have Dal Colle than Larsson.

I feel the same, having a tandem of Monny and Dal
Cole would be amazing. Personally I believe that their ceilings are very similar. Building from the beginning of a rebuild is critical. This would although pretty much knock Jankowski's chances of ever making our top 6 at the Center ice position impossible. Then we would have to convert to Rw permenentl if he ever wishes seeing our top 6. I am not to sure he would exactly flourish there but maybe given the opertunity.

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
I feel the same, having a tandem of Monny and Dal
Cole would be amazing. Personally I believe that their ceilings are very similar. Building from the beginning of a rebuild is critical. This would although pretty much knock Jankowski's chances of ever making our top 6 at the Center ice position impossible. Then we would have to convert to Rw permenentl if he ever wishes seeing our top 6. I am not to sure he would exactly flourish there but maybe given the opertunity.

Dal Colle is a winger

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
Dal Colle is a winger

It's the exact same situation Drouin found himself in playing in Halifax. Drouin grew up playing C, but ended up playing the wing because MacKinnon was there. Who knows where his NHL career will place him. (probably wing with Stamkos)

Dal Colle is a natural C, but is playing wing on Laughton's line. If he goes back to Oshawa next season, I fully expect him to be their number 1 C.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Trading our first plus Cammy for Larson may be a viable option, I can't help but thinking that draft hype may be getting in the way of some peoples opinions here.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Trading our first plus Cammy for Larson may be a viable option, I can't help but thinking that draft hype may be getting in the way of some peoples opinions here.

Huge pass. Out of the 3 young defensemen in NJ Larson is the least impressive and I don't think he is worth that package.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
The thing about acquiring a very young defender, like Larsson, is that you likely won't know if the Flames won the trade for 4-5 years, while he develope's. That's pretty hard to swallow, looking at all the other holes in the line up. It's basicly a high 1st + a low 1st for a struggling kid. That's a huge price tag, think I'd pass but it wouldn't be the worst move, if it happened.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
The thing about acquiring a very young defender, like Larsson, is that you likely won't know if the Flames won the trade for 4-5 years, while he develope's. That's pretty hard to swallow, looking at all the other holes in the line up. It's basicly a high 1st + a low 1st for a struggling kid. That's a huge price tag, think I'd pass but it wouldn't be the worst move, if it happened.

Thing is, if we draft a dman this year how long is he going to take to develop? Larsson is already 3 years removed from being drafted. The Devils have some impressive other defensive pieces, but none I don't think are better defensively than Larsson. He may never develop to become an elite offensive dman, he will be an elite defensive dman. This is just my opinion, but from this draft I think the only dman who may have all around higher ceiling is likely Ekblad. If we can't get Ekblad, I would consider this move.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Thing is, if we draft a dman this year how long is he going to take to develop? Larsson is already 3 years removed from being drafted. The Devils have some impressive other defensive pieces, but none I don't think are better defensively than Larsson. He may never develop to become an elite offensive dman, he will be an elite defensive dman. This is just my opinion, but from this draft I think the only dman who may have all around higher ceiling is likely Ekblad. If we can't get Ekblad, I would consider this move.

Like I said, it wouldn't be the worst move ever. Assuming Cammy is worth a late 1st, it really depends on where our pick ends up. If its 6-10 that would be fair value, if it's top 5, we overpay and that's something we can't afford to do right now. I personally support a defensive focus, early in the rebuild.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Like I said, it wouldn't be the worst move ever. Assuming Cammy is worth a late 1st, it really depends on where our pick ends up. If its 6-10 that would be fair value, if it's top 5, we overpay and that's something we can't afford to do right now. I personally support a defensive focus, early in the rebuild.

If our pick is top 5 come deadline time, I'm selling all assets and there is no way I trade that pick. Cammy wouldn't get Larsson alone, but if we're picking around 7-10 and we can package our pick with Cammy then that is a deal I make.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC

I just don't see the need. Larrson has struggled and we have so many holes a early pick could plug any of those holes and with the first I expect to get back from trading Cammy we could grab a really solid defenseman.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
If our pick is top 5 come deadline time, I'm selling all assets and there is no way I trade that pick. Cammy wouldn't get Larsson alone, but if we're picking around 7-10 and we can package our pick with Cammy then that is a deal I make.

There's a good chance that pick slides into top 5 if we sell off at the deadline. I'd probably try to move the pick now, alone for Larsson and then try to pick up a late 1st for Cammy at the deadline.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I just don't see the need. Larrson has struggled and we have so many holes a early pick could plug any of those holes and with the first I expect to get back from trading Cammy we could grab a really solid defenseman.

Larsson is only 21 though, Myers, Fowler, Leddy and many other young dman struggle early on in their careers. Larsson will be a legit top pairing dman, with elite shutdown play, I'm just unsure about his offensive upside, he may not be more than a guy that cracks 30ish pts? However, everything else he does very well, and is already doing it very well and he will only get better. He's way less of a risk than any other dman in this draft minus Ekblad IMO.

Yes we could grab another good dman with trading Cammy alone, that may very well be what happens. But I prefer Larsson's upside which is why I'd be in favour of such of a move.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad