Speculation: The 2014 1st

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
They play very different games. And FWIW, I'd take Jbo back in a second.

Yes and no. The best part of both their games is their skating ability. It would depend on the cost. I feel, like Jbow, Myers has all the tools. It just depends on if he can put them all together, something Jbow never really did in his time here. I'm just not sold on the kid ever really being an elite defenseman. Jbow looks great now, not sure if it was pressure here or maybe he's just a better supporting cast player. I wouldn't want Jbow back, but I prefer a more physical defense too.

Aug 3, 2010
Yes and no. The best part of both their games is their skating ability. It would depend on the cost. I feel, like Jbow, Myers has all the tools. It just depends on if he can put them all together, something Jbow never really did in his time here. I'm just not sold on the kid ever really being an elite defenseman. Jbow looks great now, not sure if it was pressure here or maybe he's just a better supporting cast player. I wouldn't want Jbow back, but I prefer a more physical defense too.
Want to know how I know you didn't watch last season? Or maybe you don't watch at all and just post your "rebuild trades" all over the main trade forums?

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
You may be a hockey fan but you're certainly not a Flames fan. Kinda hard to post credible trades here without having watched the team on a consistent basis, bud.

It's one thing to be a fan but you have to be somewhat realistic. I've been a Flame's fan since before Iggy and will be long after the rebuild. The way I see it, the rebuild is going increadably well but we've only got a handful of prospects with the potential to be more than bottom 6/ bottom pairing guys. It really made me laugh when a guy actually compared the progress of our rebuild, which we aren't even a full year into, and the Oilers! It's going to get worse, much worse before it gets better. Some people on home page seem to overvalue the least bit of potential and let it wash away years of disappointment in a heartbeat. As far as Jbow is conserned, I didn't say he was bad, I said he was a complete disappointment, there's a big difference. It's pretty hard to say, as a true Flame's fan, that you wouldn't pass on Jbow and keep Dion, if you had to do it over again. No amount of stats or coaching excuses will ever change that.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
It's one thing to be a fan but you have to be somewhat realistic. I've been a Flame's fan since before Iggy and will be long after the rebuild. The way I see it, the rebuild is going increadably well but we've only got a handful of prospects with the potential to be more than bottom 6/ bottom pairing guys. It really made me laugh when a guy actually compared the progress of our rebuild, which we aren't even a full year into, and the Oilers! It's going to get worse, much worse before it gets better. Some people on home page seem to overvalue the least bit of potential and let it wash away years of disappointment in a heartbeat. As far as Jbow is conserned, I didn't say he was bad, I said he was a complete disappointment, there's a big difference. It's pretty hard to say, as a true Flame's fan, that you wouldn't pass on Jbow and keep Dion, if you had to do it over again. No amount of stats or coaching excuses will ever change that.

Yeah it'll probably get worse. Especially after this year when we lose a few veterans. Next season will be the rock bottom I hope. I would've preferred more high end prospects before going into a rebuild, but it had to be done. Feaster delayed it as long as possible with hopes that some of his picks and improved drafting panned out.

But I would take Jbow anyday. Dion was a better hitter by a long shot and definitely had a better slapper, but Jbow is thebbetter skater and was better defensively. I could only imagine what it would be like to have both right now.

Last edited:

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Look how good Jbo was under Hartley, and this year he's arguably a top 10 dman. Dion is no where near that. And Myers and Jbo play very different. The only thing they have in common is that they were former early draft picks and are curren top pairing dman, I guess you could say skating ability to, but Jbo is a cut above IMO. And minus points, Myers has been fantastic this year. He's been an absolute beast and returned to form and shown why he was taken so early. If you haven't watched a player this year, maybe you shouldn't comment on them beyond looking at their stat line.

We'd be damn lucky to get a guy who would develop into a Myers with our 1st this year, probably Ekblad will only dman better out of this draft. Debate if you will whether it would be worth it to kick Tspoon to get it done.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Yeah it'll probably get worse. Especially after this year when we lose a few veterans. Next season will be the rock bottom I hope. I would've preferred more high end prospects before going into a rebuild, but it had to be done. Feaster delayed it as long as possible with hopes that some of his picks and improved drafting panned out.

But I would take Jbow anyday. Dion was a better hitter by a long shot and definitely had a better slapper, but Jbow had better skater and was better defensively. I could only imagine what it would be like to have both right now.

Jbow might be the better player, I supported the move at the time but it's hard to deny that Dion wasn't the better player during Jbow's time with the Flames

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Jbow might be the better player, I supported the move at the time but it's hard to deny that Dion wasn't the better player during Jbow's time with the Flames

Jbo is the better player, offensively he's been great and defensively it is not even a debate. Sutter mishandled him, that was 110% the reason for his struggles here. With that said, he still logged top minutes against the opposing teams best players and did what was asked of him.

Dion hits and has a canon. Defences know how to defend him and have for a while. He's somewhat of a one trick pony and he's prone to having brutal mental lapses in his own zone. If coached properly Dion can be an asset, but Jbo is much more well rounded.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Jbo is the better player, offensively he's been great and defensively it is not even a debate. Sutter mishandled him, that was 110% the reason for his struggles here. With that said, he still logged top minutes against the opposing teams best players and did what was asked of him.

Dion hits and has a canon. Defences know how to defend him and have for a while. He's somewhat of a one trick pony and he's prone to having brutal mental lapses in his own zone. If coached properly Dion can be an asset, but Jbo is much more well rounded.

I'm so sick of the coaching defense! That's been the main excuse since 04. God knows we've seen enough coaching changes and none of them seemed to make a difference. He played almost 30 minutes a night and the PP under Sutter. If he didn't like the system, surely a $7 million defenseman's strengths would still shine through logging that kind of minutes. Dion plays tough minutes too. While I'm not debating that Jbow is the better player, he simply wasn't during his time in Calgary. It's easy to blame coaching but chemistry is a huge factor and some people just don't have the mental strength to be "the guy"

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I'm so sick of the coaching defense! That's been the main excuse since 04. God knows we've seen enough coaching changes and none of them seemed to make a difference. He played almost 30 minutes a night and the PP under Sutter. If he didn't like the system, surely a $7 million defenseman's strengths would still shine through logging that kind of minutes. Dion plays tough minutes too. While I'm not debating that Jbow is the better player, he simply wasn't during his time in Calgary. It's easy to blame coaching but chemistry is a huge factor and some people just don't have the mental strength to be "the guy"

Bouw was coached under 2 guys while in Calgary:

B. Sutter and Hartley. When Sutter was fired, J Bouws offensive game returned. Its pretty obvious it was a coaching, and a system issue.

Bosnian Beast

Formerly Janko Unchained
Dec 30, 2010
Lethbridge, AB
If JBouw had chemistry issues, why did he do so well with the team after Sutter was fired? Bouwmeester was good for Calgary, not $6 million good, but good. Sutter was detrimental to this team, and if Bouwmeester is going to play the system, he couldn't play his game, so to speak. I'd still keep JBouw over Dion every day. That isn't a knock on Dion, I just think Bouwmeester is a cut above as a player. So yeah, it is easy to blame coaching as the problem for Bouwmeester's troubles... because it was coaching. The evidence speaks for itself, I don't know why you are fighting that issue so hard.

Aug 3, 2010
I don't like repeating myself - do you want to know how I know you didn't watch last season?

Bouwmeester was on pace to hit 45+ points in his last season with Calgary; something he had not come close to doing since his days with Florida, something that he was familiar with in an increased offensive, 2-way system under Hartley. How strange that must be!

Believe it or not, being paid highly does not determine a person's value or ability very accurately. I cannot pay a child 10 million dollars a year and realistically expect that a youth with "near-limitless" potential that they should be the crux of my own success just because I reward them so; which is essentially what Darryl Sutter was doing when he made that trade to Florida in hopes of gambling on making the team a legitimate contender. I give him that it was a calculated risk, but dangerous and ultimately unsuccessful all the same.

At one point, Wade Redden's salary was 8 million dollars per season.
Let's not even talk about Bryzgalov's salary opposed to his actual worth in his ability and performance.

If you don't want to believe Sutter was a detriment to how Bouwmeester should have been playing (against his natural chemistry/style) then you may continue to do so but you are simply incorrect in this regard. Furthermore, chemistry has little to do with mental strength, and everything to do with "how things click" or sometimes, don't click with their surrounding environment. I would relate that highly towards both a defensive partner as much as I would a coaching system. Two persons could have weak mentalities but if they click together, they can overcome more difficult obstacles. Bouwmeester clearly did not have that benefit especially from the coaching side. You or I could be given a fully loaded tank therefore having the tools, but not given any training or proper direction on how to utilize this resource rendering it nearly useless in a battle which is how I liken Brent Sutter's ability as a coach in this regard.

Trying to argue that Bouwmeester was incompetent in his time here is incorrect - he wasn't doing great but he was not being burned consistently night-in and night-out. However, regardless of his defensive play, he was not producing points which was a key facet to one of the reasons Darryl Sutter brought him to the Calgary Flames. The team as a whole was quite bad in those years, as it was ill-equipped to play such a tight checking style. In retrospect, especially in the period post-Regehr, the best kind of style for this team was clearly a two-way style that did not lean too heavily to either offence or defence.

Why pay a man 7 million dollars and ask the world of him if all the directions you give him are contrary to his ability?

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
The only things Dion does better is hit, shoot and wear a Red Bull over Jbo.

Oh and Dion has a hotter wife, and is a better tipper at restaurants.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
If Calgary hits a losing streak (very possible, of course), they'll be right beside the Sabres and Isles again; I wouldn't trade this pick...

Also, I'm assuming at the deadline that more players will be heading out the door; certainly Cammy, probably Stemps, maybe Butler... and quite possibly Stajan. Once any kind of veteran leadership Calgary once had is out the door; I don't see a lot of wins pilling up.

And I believe they trade these guys, simply because they aren't BB type players, none of them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad