Speculation: The 2014 1st

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I'd say Larsson is the equivalent as to how Couturier has been in Philly to this point. He hasn't quite performed to expectations based on draft position, but has played very steady all around in other areas. Couturier has been playing some really good hockey of late, if Larsson can start to generate any offence at all, that will be a very encouraging sign for his development. He's been on a very similar path to Hedman.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
At this point, the Flame's would be currently 3 points out of a playoff spot in the East. Realistically, the pick could end up anywhere from 3rd-15th. If Burke could package it up for a very good, young player, are the Flame's better off than picking in this years draft? It's really a crap shoot right now but there's a lot of horrible teams in the East.

Is this a joke?

Who cares about the east, the Flames are 14 points out of a playoff spot.

The only right thing to do is to go for the best pick possible and rebuild.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I don't know how I'd feel about selling our pick.
If it's in that 8-12 range (unlikely, but you never know), then perhaps.

As it stands, Calgary's sitting at 5th worst in the league. There's a clear top 2, and then kind of a mess 3-6; followed by the next crop.
The player Calgary will get is still going to be an impact type player very likely. Also, I have a pretty strong feeling that the Isles, Panthers and even the Oil can still pass us as we go along... There's still a ton of hockey to be played; and all three really on paper, have better teams than Calgary.

In addition to this, clearly Calgary will be sellers this coming deadline, which means we truly might start bleeding points once some of the leadership is gone. I know it sucks, but it is truly better to be in the bottom 3 this year; Sam, Ekblad and even Draisaitl/DalColle will be pretty strong players when everything is said and done... this rebuild needs to happen naturally with only smart moves to give it a jump.

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
However, we just finished playing NYR, BOS, DET, PIT, STL and came away with four points which is pretty decent for a bottom third team. I think this team will end up drafting in the 8-12 range because for one reason or another we find ways to win.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
However, we just finished playing NYR, BOS, DET, PIT, STL and came away with four points which is pretty decent for a bottom third team. I think this team will end up drafting in the 8-12 range because for one reason or another we find ways to win.

It's so true.
Winning has felt weird the past two seasons for me. I cheer and hive-five all around when we score and get excited when we win... then like a few minutes after I'm like... **** what'd that just do to us in the standings?

It's funny we've been calling for a rebuild in Calgary, yet none of us are truly dedicated to it rofl.

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
Myself personally I kind of hope in the back of my mind that we lose for better draft position, yet when game day comes I'm all about the Flames scoring and winning the game. Theres no way I stay up until 2am to watch my team lose. I'm all for a patient rebuild but, Go Flames GO!

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
I suspect the Flames will remain around the fourth to sixth position in the draft for the remainder of the season. Hard work only goes so far when the talent isn't there to back it up.

Anything in the top five would be solid. Reinhart, Ekblad, Draisaitl, Dal Colle, and Bennett would all be good building blocks in the future.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad