Prospect Info: The 2013 NHL Entry Draft [Part V] From Optimism To Bipolarism

Status
Not open for further replies.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
17 interviews? Only two teams have a realistic chance at drafting him, us and Florida. Other 15 teams must be wondering if he's worth trying to trade up for I'm assuming because I can't see him even falling out of the top 2 let alone top 3.

I think it is pretty common place for lots of teams to interview the top talent. It not only helps this year if a team might want to trade up, but in 3-4-5 years if the team drafting a top pick gives up on him and wants to trade him away. EJ is an example of that.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I'm sorry for asking, because I'm sure you're tired of answering.

Still think that Jones is the guy for the Avs?

Yes. I get asked this about 20 times a day, still.

17 interviews? Only two teams have a realistic chance at drafting him, us and Florida. Other 15 teams must be wondering if he's worth trying to trade up for I'm assuming because I can't see him even falling out of the top 2 let alone top 3.

You see it every year. Teams want to get to know the kids. It's good to keep tabs on them for down the line. It can help you when playing against them or can help you if you need to think of acquiring the player down the line.

CantTouchThis

Feb 16, 2012
Town in Country
You see it every year. Teams want to get to know the kids. It's good to keep tabs on them for down the line. It can help you when playing against them or can help you if you need to think of acquiring the player down the line.

I don't see the surprise in him meeting so many teams. I mean, anyone with a realistic shot at trading for the first overall pick will want to meet him. Especially now that Roy said he's open to trading the pick.

I feel like the secret colorado franchise is gone. I don't think secrecy is a big thing with Joe.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

Yea as mentioned teams do this all the time. A lot of it is in case they go to trade for them in the future. GM's will usually go to their scouts and ask them how they had them in the draft. It's the only time they'll get a chance to talk to the players, and gauge their attitude since after the draft their rights belong to someone else.

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Why do the Avs want Fowler? Lets not get carried away with collecting all the offensive Ds we can find. Plus Hejda is still a good D for another few years.

Something to think about...every single one of the Avs remaining Ds in the system are LEFT handed. Siemens, Lauridsen, Beaupre, Young, and even Donnelly and Stollery. The large majority of Ds that fall around the Avs second rounder are LEFT handed. The Avs are stocked down the Left side and will probably be even more after this draft if they take any Ds with their second rounder and on.

Siemens is the only guy you mentioned who is a for sure NHL player and definitely the only one with top 4 potential.
i highly doubt the Avs will pass on talented D men due to their handedness.

Well, I'd love for that to be true...

But I guess until I see Jones pulling that Avs Jersey over his head for the first time, I'm gonna hold off on getting that Jones Blue Alternate.

the Nords throwback? really? that's the one you'd buy?
i plan on buying a Jones jersey but probably the away white.

not really shocking. teams do this every year. maybe you interview the guy and the combination of interview and film is so impressive you go to ownership and say "hey, i need to trade up for this guy, he's special."

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
Not happy that the Jones' jersey will say S. Jones. #1 reason to ship David Jones imo followed closely by his AWFUL play.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Not happy that the Jones' jersey will say S. Jones. #1 reason to ship David Jones imo followed closely by his AWFUL play.

Oh yea, didn't even think of that. Always looks ugly when there's an extra letter and period like that on hockey jerseys. Especially as a star player, that's supposed to stand out.

Avs For Life

#92 #9 #29
Jul 4, 2012
Denver, CO
Im still torn between Mack and Jones. I want them both lol.

Obviously that will probably not happen. The only way I could see us getting a 2nd top pick would be if Staz + Sgar + 2013 2nd + 2014 1st would work for the other team...but thats not going to be enough to give up a franchise player. I dont even know if throwing in Elliott or Barrie to that would be enough and that is just giving up too much. Its a dream scenario that wont happen.

Jones helps us a lot...and will help us even more in the future.

Mack helps us now and in the future and gives us basically 3 franchise players up front in Duchene, Landy, and Mack which would help us in scoring which was an issue last year...but then again so was defense.

When you look at the teams competing for the cup...they all have very good forward depth and very solid defense.

I lean towards Jones because it would seem we have decent foward depth. Yet we were among some of the worst in the league in scoring which Mack could help...a lot.

Is anyone else just going back and forth between the two? I seriously cannot make up my mind. Both would be such a huge help to the team. When you look at the history of high 1st round Dmen vs high 1st round forwards...those stats would tell you a forward is probably the better pick. Im just torn. I guess Im happy with both...but I know no matter who we draft...there will be times where we will watch the other player and think...damn...we could have had him.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Calgary talk radio has us getting Jones?

Woo_hoo!_poster.jpg

Mr Serious

Jul 23, 2011
Not happy about this Jones being a done deal rumor.

It's from a radio broadcast in Calgary. Put that on the unconfirmed Twitter source in terms of reliability in my book.

S. Jones...

Yup that settles it. Either David Jones goes or we draft MacKinnon :sarcasm:

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Not happy about this Jones being a done deal rumor.

Dude it's a Calgary talk show, I understand that they're in our division, but I can't see how "they" of all hockey world would get that info.

Ryan Hartman has interviews with 27 teams, I wouldn't be shocked if Avs are or aren't one of them. I say this due to him being a pick probably going around the 20s and Avs might want to interview someone else.

Hans Landaskog

Feb 27, 2012
Denver
Just woke up, sorry. All I saw was Jones done deal, not the source. I'm fine with Jones, but the draft isn't tomorrow so I'd hate for them to have decided already.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Just woke up, sorry. All I saw was Jones done deal, not the source. I'm fine with Jones, but the draft isn't tomorrow so I'd hate for them to have decided already.

It would be better than not having their minds made up until their name is called and having to play eenie-meenie-miney-mo on the stage right?

Hans Landaskog

Feb 27, 2012
Denver
It would be better than not having their minds made up until their name is called and having to play eenie-meenie-miney-mo on the stage right?

Imagine them doing that at the podium. That'd be pretty funny... All I am saying is there is still plenty of time and Roy just got on board so I'd hope their discussions on what to do with it are still ongoing.

Mr Serious

Jul 23, 2011
Imagine them doing that at the podium. That'd be pretty funny... All I am saying is there is still plenty of time and Roy just got on board so I'd hope their discussions on what to do with it are still ongoing.

I feel that with the announcement of Roy as head coach and VP of Hockey Operations that he will want to be included in the discussion of who the team will draft. He will have some power in shaping the roster and he may have some preference on who he would like to coach.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I'm sure the final discussions will come after the combine. I'm assuming Roy and Sakic are there but haven't seen anything yet.

A month until the draft. Will the next thread take us there or do we make it through another one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad