GDT: The 2013 NHL Entry Draft | June 30, 2013 | 3:00 ET (NBCSN, TSN, NHLN)

dbieon12

Vinik-Brisebois-Cooper
Jul 22, 2010
Anyone think Nashville would have taken our 1st and 2nd round next year for their 1st round (4th overall) this year?

Would it have been worth it for Jones?

Drouin and Jones...:win::xcheers:

The Wyzerhood

A league of his own
Oct 3, 2008
We have a bunch of defenders between Syracuse and juniors, its not that big of a deal this year.

None of them strike me as top 4 defensemen who can make an impact this coming season or next. Though it could be said of the dmen that were available at our picks as well (aside from Jones and maybe some of the dmen taken after Erne in the 2nd round).

The Wyzerhood

A league of his own
Oct 3, 2008
You asked why he didn't draft defense. I never stated that he drafted those players this year or that he drafted Sustr. But hey, if you feel better being smug as hell when someone replies to your question with an answer, have at it hoss.

Clearly, I was referring to this draft. It was also a rhetorical question, hence the way the question was phrased...

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Yzerman and Murray on Erne:

http://video.lightning.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=791&id=261694

BP Scouting Report on Salminen:

Strengths:
Big frame that Salminen is willing to use. Already has experience against grown men for Jokerit in the top league and Vantaa in Finland's second tier league. Defensively responsible and solid on the penalty kill.

Weaknesses:
Average skater. Hasn't made a dent for Finland in numerous international appearances in junior tournaments. Lacks much offensive skill.

Projection:
Longshot checking liner

and Vermin:
Strengths:
Highly skilled forward with excellent puckhandling ability. Quick hands help him finish well in tight around the net. Quick skater. Just a quick little offensive forward. Has a ton of experience with Switzerland's junior program and Bern in Switzerland's NLA league.

Weaknesses:
Lacks ideal NHL size and may struggle to compete physically in North American pro leagues.

Projection:
Short-term scoring line experiment

dbieon12

Vinik-Brisebois-Cooper
Jul 22, 2010
Clearly, I was referring to this draft. It was also a rhetorical question, hence the way the question was phrased...

You asked why Yzerman did not draft any defense in this draft.

The players listed were the reasons (according to the poster) that no defense were drafted in this draft.

Yzerman and his colleagues took the players they believed would most benefit the organization based on our talent available, needs, and current players. He wasn't going to draft defense for the sake of drafting defense - he seems to be a die-hard "BPA" drafter.

And I just read your comment and noticed the rhetorical nature of the original question. lol

---------------------

Draft Grade: Drouin+

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate

The players listed were the reasons (according to the poster) that no defense were drafted in this draft.

Yzerman and his colleagues took the players they believed would most benefit the organization based on our talent available, needs, and current players. He wasn't going to draft defense for the sake of drafting defense - he seems to be a die-hard "BPA" drafter.

And I just read your comment and noticed the rhetorical nature of the original question.

You can read some of the tweets regarding interviews done with Yzerman about the picks. They went by the list and stick by the list.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
None of them strike me as top 4 defensemen who can make an impact this coming season or next. Though it could be said of the dmen that were available at our picks as well (aside from Jones and maybe some of the dmen taken after Erne in the 2nd round).

Depends how soon you want them. Outside of a guy like Jones, all the rest are 2-3+ year projects. We're looking for immediate help, not projects.

The Wyzerhood

A league of his own
Oct 3, 2008

And I just read your comment and noticed the rhetorical nature of the original question. lol

---------------------

Draft Grade: Drouin+

:laugh: almost missed the white font there ;). I agree that in rounds 5-7, it'd be a project defensemen anyway so if a forward or goalie were BPA there, it made more sense to go for them regardless of position.

And yes, when a question starts with "Y u no", it's usually a trolling/rhetorical question, or I was led to believe it was intended to be.

The Wyzerhood

A league of his own
Oct 3, 2008
Depends how soon you want them. Outside of a guy like Jones, all the rest are 2-3+ year projects. We're looking for immediate help, not projects.

Of course, the most important thing is that SFY and his staff believe they took the BPA at each draft spot, since it never hurts to stockpile on defensemen either.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
Of course, the most important thing is that SFY and his staff believe they took the BPA at each draft spot, since it never hurts to stockpile on defensemen either.

Assets are assets. Now, for someone (coughphoenixcough) with a pile of defensive talents ready to jump and a team with some forwards... you have a table to bargain at.

2 Weekes Notice

Apr 10, 2012
Non-traditional Land
Worth noting RE: no defensemen drafted is that we took 2 D-men in the first 40 picks last draft, and Dylan Blujus certainly isn't knocking the doors down for playing time yet.

I'm sure there are trades incoming. As far as value, a really nice haul at the top and some instant impact.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
We could see a few dmen being invited to our Development camp too. Look how that turned out last year. Sergeev and then Sustr later on both signed with us.

The Wyzerhood

A league of his own
Oct 3, 2008
Where, in the top 10, would you guys slot Erne on our prospects chart?

My personal top 10:

1. Drouin
2. Vasilevski
3. Kucherov
4. Namestnikov
5. Koekkoek
6. Erne
7. Barberio
8. Gusev
9. Sustr
10. Blujus

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
Erne's ceiling isn't far from his floor. He strikes me as having pretty good potential if he can get better conditioned and turn some of that baby fat into muscle. He'll have some time to get it done too. It really is up to him how quickly he wants to break into the NHL because his style of game directly translates.

Glide5

Apr 16, 2012
Tampa Bay
I'm really surprised we didn't trade Pouiliot for a pick. I wonder if hes going to be part of a bigger package or if we just let him walk? I feel like someone has to have interest in him... but maybe im just being too optimistic.

The Wyzerhood

A league of his own
Oct 3, 2008
I'm really surprised we didn't trade Pouiliot for a pick. I wonder if hes going to be part of a bigger package or if we just let him walk? I feel like someone has to have interest in him... but maybe im just being too optimistic.

It'll also be interesting to see what we do with Labrie. If he's not re-signed then I'm assuming Tyrell will start on the fourth line with Thompson and Crombeen, which still leaves Pouliot out of the picture unless Drouin is sent back to Jr.

GX

Dec 28, 2011
First saw Gudļevskis when he was 15. I'd give him a 5.5 C.

Still, although publicly he has a contract with Riga for next season, TB certainly knows more. :) All I'm saying is that we shouldn't be too surprised to see him in AHL/ECHL next season.

JamieG

May 25, 2003
Visit site
And you see Malone being the centerpiece for that deal? Imo, it'd be Connolly or Panik.

Fans need to be realistic.

If you want Malone gone because he has a terrible contract and isn't worth it and are willing to deal Connolly because he could be a bust.....then other teams aren't exactly lining up to give a top defenseman for that.

The Wyzerhood

A league of his own
Oct 3, 2008
Fans need to be realistic.

If you want Malone gone because he has a terrible contract and isn't worth it and are willing to deal Connolly because he could be a bust.....then other teams aren't exactly lining up to give a top defenseman for that.

I wouldn't say we'd be dealing Connolly because he's seen as a bust, but because he's NHL ready and I wouldn't trade Drouin, Marty or Killorn before him. Kucherov is more valuable because he's still another year or two away, which saves us cap/roster room.

However, I do agree with what you are saying, which is what I was originally stating. Any team that takes on Malone is doing us a favor.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad