The 2007 Blackhawks/2015 Sabres parallels

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
In 2006, The blackhawks selected a Canadian center 3rd overall, behind a consensus #1 d-man who went 1st overall. Toews did not play in the NHL that season.
In 2014, The Sabres selected a Canadian center 2nd overall behind a consensus #1 d-man who went 1st overall. Reinhart was returned to his junior team that season.

Prior to the 2007 season, the blackhawks made a few big free agent signings (a scorer Havlat and an aging winger in Bondra)
Prior to the 2015 season, the Sabres made a few big free agent signings (a scorer in Moulson and an aging winger in Gionta)

In the 2007 season, it was the 2nd full NHL season for the future stars of the blackhawks blueline, Keith and Seabrook
In the 2015 season, it was the 2nd full NHL season for the future stars of the Sabres blueline, Ristoleinen and Zadorov

At the 2007 Draft, the Blackhawks won the lottery and selected Patrick Kane 1st overall
At the 2015 Draft, the Sabres......

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
This is Zadorov's first full season. Chicago didn't sign Havlat as a free agent, they acquired him in a trade. Havlat also isn't much of a comparable with Moulson beyond that. Chicago picked up a 25 year old Havlat and he was a dynamic winger. Buffalo signed a 31 year old Moulson to be a supporting piece. Bondra and Gionta weren't really equivalent signings either. Apart from the differences in their actual abilities, Bondra was signed in December (not on the first day of free agency) and was clearly on his last legs as opposed to signing a three year deal.

A lot of your parallels seem rather forced to the extent that they aren't really parallels at are and just bits of trivia about the two teams.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
This is Zadorov's first full season. Chicago didn't sign Havlat as a free agent, they acquired him in a trade. Havlat also isn't much of a comparable with Moulson beyond that. Chicago picked up a 25 year old Havlat and he was a dynamic winger. Buffalo signed a 31 year old Moulson to be a supporting piece. Bondra and Gionta weren't really equivalent signings either. Apart from the differences in their actual abilities, Bondra was signed in December (not on the first day of free agency) and was clearly on his last legs as opposed to signing a three year deal.

A lot of your parallels seem rather forced to the extent that they aren't really parallels at are and just bits of trivia about the two teams.

Party Pooper

Takeo

Jul 9, 2003
Visit site
I would offer that every referenced Chicago player/prospect is better than every referenced Buffalo player/prospect.

ZeroPT*

I think the Kings is the best parallel in terms of timeline.
We've spent 3 years bottoming out, stockpiling prospects and drafting our core pieces. The Kings then had 2 years where they transitioned towards being a playoff team. and then they took the next step.

I think we can do that.

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto
I would offer that every referenced Chicago player/prospect is better than every referenced Buffalo player/prospect.

Well yeah look at all of the awards that those players have won.

But I don't think anyone predicted a 2nd round pick in Duncan Keith to be THIS good.

Cap'n

Jun 8, 2007
Anderson, SC

Well hello Sunshine, always good to hear from you!

Not sure how you can make the case of Toews and Kane being better than two kids for us who have yet to play an NHL game but have been universally lauded as special players (presuming a McEichel pick).

Pretty surprised that you'd make such a negative reference since you're usually so upbeat around here...

mgeise

May 20, 2006
Fargo, ND
I could see the core of Reinhart, McEichel, Ristolainen, and Zadorov being just as good as the Chicago core you referenced, but it's going to take longer for the Sabres to get there than the Hawks IMO. Keith and Seabrook were older and able to become great defenseman more quickly than Risto and Z will be able to.

Either way, it's exciting to fantasize about.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad