The 2006 Oilers: What will their legacy be?

Blue And Orange

Oilers & Seahawks
Jan 21, 2010
Toronto
I'm 23years old, not old enough to remember the 1990 cup win.

2006 was special because this was the first time in my life to witness the Oilers reaching the Stanley Cup Finals.

I've also fond memories of the 1997 and 1998 Oilers teams.

Niet

Feb 26, 2010
Edmonton
I was 17 when we went to the finals that year. I was actually thinking about the fact that I haven't been able to go to a bar to watch an Oilers playoff game yet, but hopefully this year will be different.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
It was a great team effort.

A bit of luck with our FA signing at the trade deadline.

But 2 people really took that team from good to a stanely cup should of been winner.

Roloson and Pronger. Those two were dominate. Awesome. It's ammazing what 2 great players can do to a team.

We have 5 great players now. Hopefuly they can have the impact of those two.

ales83fan

Jul 13, 2007
It was a great team effort.

A bit of luck with our FA signing at the trade deadline.

But 2 people really took that team from good to a stanely cup should of been winner.

Roloson and Pronger. Those two were dominate. Awesome. It's ammazing what 2 great players can do to a team.

We have 5 great players now. Hopefuly they can have the impact of those two.

but none in net. a goalie like Roloson was in that year changes everything. It's crazy to even think about it.

All our guys (well most, since 3 out of 5) are wingers, which I would argue are the least influential position. If they were 2 centers, 2 number one D men, and a stud goalie, we'd be in the Playoffs for sure. Wingers can't quite cut it in my opinion, although I'm glad we have the players we have.

Worraps

Oct 23, 2011
Edmonton
According to Thomas Drance:

A few years ago the Oilers miraculously made the Stanley Cup Finals. They were arguably the worst team in the modern era to do so.

By the way, **** Thomas Drance.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick

A few years ago the Oilers miraculously made the Stanley Cup Finals. They were arguably the worst team in the modern era to do so.

They lost to an arguably worse team. What a silly thing for him to say. I know Carolina was loaded with veterans and had an incredible year from both Eric Staal and Cam Ward.

Either way, I'd say that with Roloson that wouldn't have gone to game 7.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

What is a Thomas Drance and why would anybody care?

Probably looks like that "foodie" in the BP commercial..

Section337

Jul 7, 2007
Edmonton, AB
I think their legacy is a renewed connection to the city. As a team and fans, we were spoiled with the team that entered the league. then we had the (alternated definition) spoiling of the team during the 90s, which created a huge disconnect. Even in the early 00's, they still worked hard to sell tickets.

However, that year and team, particularly after the lockout and sports radio/intrarweb, served as the catalyst to attach the atic to an expanded set Edmonton Oiler fans.

Worraps

Oct 23, 2011
Edmonton
What is a Thomas Drance and why would anybody care?

Probably looks like that "foodie" in the BP commercial..

As for your first question: He runs Canucks Nation and wrote a pretty despicable article about the Oilers for Vice Magazine.

As for your second question: No one should care.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
As for your first question: He runs Canucks Nation and wrote a pretty despicable article about the Oilers for Vice Magazine.

As for your second question: No one should care.

That guy? :laugh: Maybe he should write an article on why the Canucks keep blowing leads.

The Big Unit

Oct 24, 2009
I think their legacy is a renewed connection to the city. As a team and fans, we were spoiled with the team that entered the league. then we had the (alternated definition) spoiling of the team during the 90s, which created a huge disconnect. Even in the early 00's, they still worked hard to sell tickets.

However, that year and team, particularly after the lockout and sports radio/intrarweb, served as the catalyst to attach the atic to an expanded set Edmonton Oiler fans.

This.

EIG had to do a large cash call from the 34 owners prior to the 2004-05 lockout to make sure that the Oilers had enough money to survive. Before the salary cap and the loonie on par with the greenback, the Oilers almost left town at least twice. Anyone remember all the businesses that used to put up "Friends of the Oilers" stickers? The NHL's Canadian Currency Assistance Plan that paid Canadian teams a few million bucks if they sold at least 13 000 season tickets? Remember Superstore bought a few thousand season tickets so that we'd qualify for the CCAP and you could get a pair of tickets and 2 hot dogs for like $50 at Superstore after? Or ATB Financial and the NHL forcing Pocklington to find local ownership to avoid the nightmare scenario of Leslie Alexander's "Houston Oilers" of the NHL?

There were no guarantees we'd still be around as a franchise going into the lockout in 2004 other than the Oilers' history was too important to the NHL to just walk away from Edmonton. EIG bet it all on the last CBA producing some measure of parity and an even financial landscape.

Our city has been through so much with this team. The Oilers gave our city glory, a legendary dynasty, unforgettable memories and the name "City of Champions". After 1992, we forgot what that meant and both sides let a great marriage with the team rot till the divorce papers woke us up.

The legacy of the 2006 Oilers who suffered a heartbreaking loss in Game 7 was so much more than a great ride. They effectively erased any doubt about the Oilers' future in Edmonton. The hate and humiliation we took from players and fan bases across the league after that cup run actually brought Oilers fans closer to both their team and city. Since that run we've proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that we're some of the most loyal fans in pro-sports. It made the team attractive to Daryl Katz and got Edmontonians thinking "hey, what if we had a new arena downtown"?

That Cinderella run in the spring of 2006 was the catalyst.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
i still hate MA bergeron and conklin and macT for not having jussi on the bench

still love fernando and stolly

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I remember after Hemsky had scored and we won Game 6 against Detroit going outside listening to all the car horns going crazy. One of my best memories from that year.

Moonlapse Vertigo

Katz n' MacT BFFs
Oct 2, 2009
Edmonton
The prototypical overachieving, Cinderella team that fell just short.
I disagree. That team was really good but had **** goaltending during the regular season until Roloson came on board. We had to score 4 goals to win on most nights with the Markannen/Conklin/Morrison trio.

We should have been a lock for the NW division title that year.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Everyone else will forget, but IMO they stand as the closest you can get to the cup without actually winning it.

They took the final to 7 games after losing their starting goalie (and one of their top 2 MVPs) in game 1.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park

Good call.

It also created enough goodwill for the fans to endure 6 years of failure. A credit to the fans.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
It will be remembered as the year of shattered dreams and the descent into the dark days of the Oilers. God I despise MAB/Andrew Ladd, and I can't be the only one pissed Andrew ****ing Ladd of all people won another Stanley Cup.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
The shorthanded breakaway Fernando goal in OT......everyone knew was going in as soon as he picked off the pass......

Mother of God. I remember Smyth's post-game interview. He said he thought the team was going to score shorthanded there. The chills I got.

And Roloson's crazy batting passes.

Metzen

Sep 9, 2005

I'm so pissed... Those are are mine and I've been banned from the audio for the Detriot video because of US laws. I had some good clips of McGuire and others saying the Oiler's sucked and Detriot was too talented. They actually took out the audio from all of them for all few years but it appears they let the San Jose and Anahiem videos audio they put back.

EDIT

My Wife (GF at the time) asked me why I didn't do a Carolina video. I said I don't celebrate losing and I don't to this day. CBC did a great game 6 video that is enough. Hopefully the young Oiler's change that in a BIG way.... GO OILERS.

Also... I lived in Calgary during 06 and when the Oiler's where down 3-0 or 2-1 in score to the Sharks and came back to win it (Jason Smith's Bobby Orr-like goal) I was heckled and nearly assaulted by Flame fans (at the time, "copying the flames run"?!?!?!) but NEVER gave up the Cheer for the Oil.

I hope to relive that memory again.

Last edited:

DethOfDragnz

Sep 22, 2010
Edmonton, AB
For Edmonton fans I think that run will be looked at fondly. Just scraping into the playoffs and making it all the way to game 7 of the finals is not something to snub your nose at night. It was a incredible ride and the city was electric during that run. For the non Oilers fan it'll probably just be forgotten story, the team that Carolina beat to get their first cup and not much more will be said/thought about it.

For me that run was the best thing the Oilers have done since the early 90s. The team struggled through the mid 90s and the 2000's and that one run showed the Oilers could still be a threat and it's a strong part of what got me back into hockey. I came from a small town and moved to Edmonton I had never been in a city that had a NHL team and I never saw how crazy a Canadian city could get in the playoffs. It was a great time and I can't wait for the Oilers to get back to the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad