The 2006 Oilers: What will their legacy be?

Wadewilson

Jun 27, 2006
Canada
I'm so pissed... Those are are mine and I've been banned from the audio for the Detriot video because of US laws. I had some good clips of McGuire and others saying the Oiler's sucked and Detriot was too talented. They actually took out the audio from all of them for all few years but it appears they let the San Jose and Anahiem videos audio they put back.

EDIT

My Wife (GF at the time) asked me why I didn't do a Carolina video. I said I don't celebrate losing and I don't to this day. CBC did a great game 6 video that is enough. Hopefully the young Oiler's change that in a BIG way.... GO OILERS.

Also... I lived in Calgary during 06 and when the Oiler's where down 3-0 or 2-1 in score to the Sharks and came back to win it (Jason Smith's Bobby Orr-like goal) I was heckled and nearly assaulted by Flame fans (at the time, "copying the flames run"?!?!?!) but NEVER gave up the Cheer for the Oil.

I hope to relive that memory again.

Those are yours? Oh man they are awesome. I've subscribed and watched them quite a bit. So well done.

Thanks!

(Can you make them do they can be viewed on a mobile device?)

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I honestly don't think the arena would be being built in downtown if the 2006 run hadn't happened.

I think that run opened Katz' eyes and balanced the Oilers financials by bringing in a ton of money.

Ever since then the Oilers have also been able to charge higher ticket prices even in a rebuild.

I remember almost being so on edge about making the playoffs that year because we had invested so much money in bringing in Pronger, Peca, Roloson, etc. that if it didn't work out ... I think it would've been a disaster for the team.

Honestly I think the 2004 run for Calgary and the 2006 run for Edmonton basically transformed both franchises big time and cemented a ton of new fans at a time where lots of people were moving into the province.

I think both those runs also changed the mindset from just wanting to make the playoffs to legitimately thinking about building a Cup champion some day. Granted I think the Flames window has passed on that, but even a few years ago when they were just getting Jokinen and Bouweemester they were obviously going for it. We went hunting for Hossa and Heatley, before going to full rebuild route, but make no mistake, the end goal here is to win a Cup too.

This type of thinking would've been insane in the 1990s.

flashy

In the name of Kane.
Dec 17, 2009
Edmonton
Hemsky's goal against Detroit.

That is all... that run was magical. Never have seen this city so crazy.

That will stick out in my mind, i remember being at monkey island and coming out after he scored, it was everybody hugging at everything.

I wish i could go back and take it all in.

EchoesoftheEighties

HF Oil's Unofficial Shitposter
Jan 30, 2006
Edmonton
It was the best time anyone has had as an Oiler fan in a looooooong time. It also basically cemented the fandom of anyone born in the 90's.

Six in O6

Feb 24, 2009
Edmonton
Everything happened so fast. We moved right from a high-tension end of the season into the playoffs, and from a miracle run into a disastrous off-season. We had no time to analyze or appreciate what we had:

-TWO 70-point scorers. Hemsky's 77 points is the highest any Oiler has put up since Weight's 90 in his final season here.

-FOUR 60+ scorers - It'd been 15 years since we'd had that (1990-1991)

-a defenseman with >55 points. Even in an "off" year Pronger racked up the points (56). The last time an Oilers defenseman had done that was Coffey back in '87

I'm not even going to get started with the miracle playoff run.

Wow. Those stats really put it in perspective. I wonder how much of that is the rule changes and the increased penalty calls. (none the less, very impressive).

On the Detroit series game 6, I recall asking a friend what it was like in the building, especially since we were down 2-0 going into the third. He said nobody was worried. That game was possibly the defining moment of the Cup run for me. I wasn't worried about SJ and we had always played Anahiem tough in the years leading up to that series. Calgary definitely dropped the ball but not getting past them.

Metzen

Sep 9, 2005
Those are yours? Oh man they are awesome. I've subscribed and watched them quite a bit. So well done.

Thanks!

(Can you make them do they can be viewed on a mobile device?)

YouTube won't let me because the "content owners" of the music I used don't allow it.

I've found them and reuploaded them all to Vimeo. The original quality of the videos was 640x480 so Vimeo's quality should be better than what is on YouTube as YouTube down scaled it at the time.

I think these should be viewable via the Vimeo app for mobile users:
http://vimeo.com/58761167
http://vimeo.com/58761168
http://vimeo.com/58761165
http://vimeo.com/58761166

Blue And Orange

Oilers & Seahawks
Jan 21, 2010
Toronto
The 2006 Cup Run helped connect the Oilers to the younger generation of fans. There had to be great moments that help reinvigorate the passion of younger generations.

Mine was the 1997 and 1998 Oilers team that upset Dallas and Colorado respectively.

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
I was a pretty decently big fan of hockey before the cup run, but to me, this is the team that really made me love hockey. I'll remember every game of that run for the rest of my life.

Moonlapse Vertigo

Katz n' MacT BFFs
Oct 2, 2009
Edmonton
I suppose that this run intensified the fire inside of the fanbase but honestly, I didn't notice it dwindling. When I think back to those playoff series against the Stars and the Avalanche in the late 90's, early 00's it was just as nutty. This city has always adored the hell out of this team. Of course a run to the final is going to make that love affair seem stronger.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad