Speculation: The 2005 draft re-visited and the "infamous" decision at #9

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Actually Canucks fans will tell you there was very real concerns with Bourdon due to his skating. Many wanted to trade him before others realized his deficiencies.
His skating was terrific. Maybe there were other issues but that certainly wasnt it. He also had only played 1 year pro, I highly doubt they wanted to trade him. Thats giving up on a player way too early.

h2

Mar 26, 2002
His skating was terrific. Maybe there were other issues but that certainly wasnt it. He also had only played 1 year pro, I highly doubt they wanted to trade him. Thats giving up on a player way too early.

It was a subject I was curious about only a few weeks ago. That was the general take from Canuck fans at the time. Sad result regardless.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
I was all for Stall that year.

As a Sudbury Wolves fan I was crushed that we didnt take Stall - but that feeling only came years later when the rage that we passed on Kopitar faded away when Stall looked like a legit top pairing guy for that brief period of time.

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
I seem to recall hoping Bourdon would be there at 9. When Anzé was there I remember possibly the giddiest 12 minutes of my life.

I belted at the top of my lungs Anzé Kopitar when the pick was read. I didn’t even hear Lee’s name - but I saw the reaction in TV and I fell to my knees and started sobbing.

I might of been 15 but I knew we pissed away a dynasty that very moment.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
That mistake potentially cost us a Stanley Cup.

Kopitar's debut was in 2006-2007, and he put up 61 points.

I get he might not have put up those same points with us but even so, if he was on the Finals team, he could have probably tipped the scales in our favour.

I've wondered about that for 13 years

Reactions: Wallet Inspector

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
It seems like incredibly bad mojo to bring up Brian Lee right now.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Bourdon was a heck of a player I think had he not had the accident he would have been one of the best players from this draft.

That's the worst part. Irregardless of what his career could've been, chances are he'd be alive today if we had picked him.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
That's the worst part. Irregardless of what his career could've been, chances are he'd be alive today if we had picked him.

Idk if you can say that, he died in the offseason in a motorcycle accident near his hometown. I know there's that whole butterfly effect thing that can happen but odds are he still rides motorcycles and spends his offseason in his hometown regardless of who drafted him.

Anyways, this a bit of a tangent, I'll just leave it at that.

Tap on the Ankle

Jun 9, 2004
Ottawa
2005 was the first draft I really followed and I also wanted Kopitar. Not because I had some special knowledge or anything, just that he was really hyped around here and the idea of having a good player from a country that never produces NHLers sounded kinda cool.

I remember not caring too much when they took Lee because the Sens were profiting massively off their excellent 90s drafting at that point so I trusted the pick.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
It seems like incredibly bad mojo to bring up Brian Lee right now.

Not just that, but how ironic is it that the two players who we wanted back in 2005 (Kopitar and Staal) ended up getting picked by the same two teams who will be picking before us tonight....

Chabot84

Oct 24, 2009
Had we chosen Kopitar the whole history of the sens would be different.. we would have won a cup for sure. That’s all I know.. perfect timing to add that guy to the roster! And we wouldn’t have fell so hard either once we peaked in 07.. the legacy would have continued!!

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Had we chosen Kopitar the whole history of the sens would be different.. we would have won a cup for sure. That’s all I know.. perfect timing to add that guy to the roster! And we wouldn’t have fell so hard either once we peaked in 07.. the legacy would have continued!!

No one wins a Cup for sure.

Chabot84

Oct 24, 2009
No one wins a Cup for sure.

maybe you don’t remember our team? We should have won at least 1 cup... add a rookie Kopitar to that at our peak?

the timing is uncanny. Selecting Brian Lee was a huge error.

Even if Brian Lee panned out wouldn’t have made a difference.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
maybe you don’t remember our team? We should have won at least 1 cup... add a rookie Kopitar to that at our peak?

the timing is uncanny. Selecting Brian Lee was a huge error.

I remember our team.

But that’s not how the Stanley Cup playoffs work.

That’s how Leaf fans think a Stanley Cup is won. You look at the roster and make a declaration.

I was irate that we picked Lee at the time but that doesn’t equate to definitively winning anything.

Chabot84

Oct 24, 2009
I remember our team.

But that’s not how the Stanley Cup playoffs work.

That’s how Leaf fans think a Stanley Cup is won. You look at the roster and make a declaration.

i can’t believe we didn’t beat Anaheim. I truly believe that long break hurt our momentum. We literally trampled over the eastern conference. And I would argue that wasn’t even our peak just seems like it was because we made the finals.

Adding Kopitar would have increased our window at the cup - fine doesn’t guarantee we win one.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
i can’t believe we didn’t beat Anaheim. I truly believe that long break hurt our momentum. We literally trampled over the eastern conference. And I would argue that wasn’t even our peak just seems like it was because we made the finals.

Adding Kopitar would have increased our window at the cup - fine doesn’t guarantee we win one.

That Anaheim team was a very good one. I do think the break may have cost us, but retroactively a lot of people consider that Ducks squad as one of the best since the turn of the century.

It would have been nice to have Anze. The first WTF? moment from our drafting staff where I really didn’t think they knew what they were doing.

Reactions: Chabot84

Silky Johnson

I wish you all the bad things in life.
Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
I remember freaking out (in a good way) when San Jose selected Setoguchi. I was so excited that Kopitar had dropped down to 9th, I knew we were guaranteed at least him or Staal. I was literally shocked when they selected Brian Lee, I just sat there in silence and disbelief.

I truly wonder how race/nationality prejudice came into play with Kopitar. All I heard leading up to the draft was "the kid from Slovenia", basically a very non-hockey country.

It is not just Ottawa that passed on him, 8 other teams (not including Pittsburgh) did so as well before L.A smartened up and took him. Alot has changed since then in terms of scouting, expert analysis, YouTube, Twitter etc. I doubt something like that happens again (for reasons relating to country of origin).

What race do you suppose Slovenians are generally perceived to be?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad