Speculation: The 2005 draft re-visited and the "infamous" decision at #9

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Before I begin, I must make it clear so that it does not become the topic of discussion: I hated the pick back then and I still do, and have always resented Muckler for it, however...

With all this draft talk overkill leading up to the 2020 draft tomorrow, I figured there is a chance one of our picks ends up being a shocker and saw it only fitting that break down and dissect arguably the most shocking draft pick in Senators history; Brian Lee, selected 9th overall in 2005.

On the surface, that pick is absolutely brutal, and there is no denying it, not only because at the time it was clear that there were two remaining top end talents available (Kopitar and M. Staal), but rather because Brian Lee was ranked somewhere in the late 1st round to early second round by most scouts.

However, let us take a look at who was drafted before and after Mr. Brian Lee, that might lead us to "excuse" the decision by Muckler and co. to take a risk and draft him in what was already a controversial draft. Keep in mind the 2005 draft, also known as the Crosby draft was a full lottery involving all 30 teams at the time:

2005 NHL draft.jpg

Take a moment to truly take in how terrible that draft was. In fact, I am convinced it was probably one of the most over-rated drafts ever simply because it provided us with arguably the best player of our generation in Sidney Crosby---and very little after that.

With news that Jack Johnson has been bought out by the Penguins earlier today, along with Bobby Ryan last week, that makes two players drafted in the top 3 to have been bought out of big contracts that they never lived up to. The other two players to round out the top 5 were Benoit Pouliot, who is no longer in the NHL, and Carey Price...another controversial signing with the potential to be bought in a few years.

When looking at the statistics of that draft, Brian Lee actually ranks 17th out of 30 in points scored, in only 200 games played. There were also 11 other players from that first round who played less games than Brian Lee. Less games. We are talking about 11 other teams who had players play less than 200 games in the NHL from that draft (not including Luc Bourdon who passed away tragically at a young age).

This has been a long enough post, so I will save some of the blabber for anyone interested enough to engage in debating this decision and whether anyone agrees that maybe, it was not as horrible a decision as it may have appeared on the surface.

Reactions: DrEasy and Ice-Tray

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Well, I remember being pissed we didn't take Kopitar. I still am really.

But I did read an interview with Lee not long ago where he talked about the extent of his knee injuries. Somehow I am lessed pissed having read that article

Reactions: Bileur and bert

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Well, I remember being pissed we didn't take Kopitar. I still am really.

But I did read an interview with Lee not long ago where he talked about the extent of his knee injuries. Somehow I am lessed pissed having read that article
He talked about it on the drive with mendes during one of those throwback segments but unfortunately the link is dead

Reactions: Do Make Say Think

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
The fanbase is so fixated on this...we should be as mad about the 2010 draft when we passed on Tarasenko.
I blame the overvaluing of right handed defensemen.

Reactions: DrEasy

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I wanted Kopitar who i saw as a top 5 prospect at the time... Was ok with taking him over Staal or Boudon even if i wouldn't have. I still think had he been healthy he could have been a good pick (never would have lived up to Kopitar but maybe Staal).

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
I wanted Kopitar who i saw as a top 5 prospect at the time... Was ok with taking him over Staal or Boudon even if i wouldn't have. I still think had he been healthy he could have been a good pick (never would have lived up to Kopitar but maybe Staal).

I remember freaking out (in a good way) when San Jose selected Setoguchi. I was so excited that Kopitar had dropped down to 9th, I knew we were guaranteed at least him or Staal. I was literally shocked when they selected Brian Lee, I just sat there in silence and disbelief.

I truly wonder how race/nationality prejudice came into play with Kopitar. All I heard leading up to the draft was "the kid from Slovenia", basically a very non-hockey country.

It is not just Ottawa that passed on him, 8 other teams (not including Pittsburgh) did so as well before L.A smartened up and took him. Alot has changed since then in terms of scouting, expert analysis, YouTube, Twitter etc. I doubt something like that happens again (for reasons relating to country of origin).

Reactions: Bileur

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I remember freaking out (in a good way) when San Jose selected Setoguchi. I was so excited that Kopitar had dropped down to 9th, I knew we were guaranteed at least him or Staal. I was literally shocked when they selected Brian Lee, I just sat there in silence and disbelief.

I truly wonder how race/nationality prejudice came into play with Kopitar. All I heard leading up to the draft was "the kid from Slovenia", basically a very non-hockey country.

It is not just Ottawa that passed on him, 8 other teams (not including Pittsburgh) did so as well before L.A smartened up and took him. Alot has changed since then in terms of scouting, expert analysis, YouTube, Twitter etc. I doubt something like that happens again (for reasons relating to country of origin).

To be fair, Ryan was a stud prospect too, nobody was picking Kopitar over Ryan, but after that he should have been in the mix for sure.

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
You win some, you lose some. What's the point in banging your head against the wall so to speak. In a different universe, Lee could've ended up being a decent top-4 D.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
You win some, you lose some. What's the point in banging your head against the wall so to speak. In a different universe, Lee could've ended up being a decent top-4 D.

Which was really the whole point of this discussion. It has always been a pretty negative view when it comes to that draft, but when you break it down and look at how many "busts" and disappointments there were in that 1st round it really puts the Lee selection into perspective.

Reactions: Adele Dazeem

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
Which was really the whole point of this discussion. It has always been a pretty negative view when it comes to that draft, but when you break it down and look at how many "busts" and disappointments there were in that 1st round it really puts the Lee selection into perspective.

I thought the point of this discussion was the possibility we end up with a bust with 3 or 5?

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
That mistake potentially cost us a Stanley Cup.

Kopitar's debut was in 2006-2007, and he put up 61 points.

I get he might not have put up those same points with us but even so, if he was on the Finals team, he could have probably tipped the scales in our favour.

Reactions: bert

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
They took a bad player in what turned out to be an incredibly weak draft. It happens.

One thing that has really spiraled out of control is the narrative that the Senators took Lee way ahead of his ranking. That isn't true. If I remember correctly, CSB had him 14th among NA skaters. He was generally projected to go in the mid-teens.

Something to keep in mind about the Senators back then is that they were usually woefully under-prepared for the draft. At that time they only had 3 full-time amateur scouts on the payroll: Frank Jay [Ontario based], Bob Janecyk [USA/Junior A/USHL based] and Boris Shagas [Russian based]. Everybody else was a part-timer. Shortly after Bryan Murray took over as GM there was an article in the Citizen about how Muckler had let Ottawa's drafting and developing pipeline atrophy. One particularly revealing tidbit was this: As the 2007 draft was progressing, Murray would occasionally lean over and ask the scouting staff their opinion on a player that some team had just drafted. Invariably, the response was some variant of "it's hard to say, I've never seen the guy play". Eventually he decided that they weren't in a position to make any more picks so he flipped their 5th, 6th and 7th round picks for a 4th in 2008 draft. It's a minor miracle that a staff in this sort of shambles managed to get any players at all.

h2

Mar 26, 2002
Bourdon was a heck of a player I think had he not had the accident he would have been one of the best players from this draft.
Actually Canucks fans will tell you there was very real concerns with Bourdon due to his skating. Many wanted to trade him before others realized his deficiencies.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
I didn't know Brian Lee when he was drafted, but watching him play for the Sens in the beginning I didn't mind him at all. A mobile puck-moving defenseman, not afraid to go on an end-to-end rush when possible. But he gradually got more and more passive and ineffective. The injuries seem to have prevented him from reaching his potential.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad