The 1st pick of the 2nd round is cursed

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I'd be depressed going that pick and missing out on gauranteed big bucks

I forget if the ELC rules were different before 2005, but nothing's stopping a 2nd round pick from getting a max ELC and/or the max guaranteed 925K. CBA kinda limits the guaranteed dollars anyways. Are you maybe mixing this up with the NBA where 2nd round picks don't get guaranteed deals?

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
I know you left out the past 6 or 7 drafts, however I sure hope we don't see Yegor Korshkov on this list. He was selected by Toronto with the first pick of the 2nd round in 2016 and it was a surprise pick since he previously went undrafted. Plus other players like Alex DeBrincat and Jordan Kyrou were still available for them to select.

probably my least favorite leafs pick in recent memory

everyone wanted the sliding debrincat, they went with a guy not even ranked.
now debrincat is a 50pt forward and we are left to wonder if korshkov will ever even play in NA

kinda went under the radar with the matthews pick hogging all the news

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
This. For every Datsyuk there's hundreds of guys who never make the NHL...we just don't hear about them.
And it's now even harder to find a Datsyuk that late because every team scouts globally now. Detroit killed it for years in the draft because they scouted areas no other teams would. It's really hurt them in that sense, you don't see them picking players like that late anymore. I'm impressed the Leafs got Andreas Johnsson in the 7th and he's barely played any games yet. The fact that he's even gotten this far is pretty amazing. I'm always under the assumption that given the odds, you won't hear a thing from a prospect beyond the third round or so. They just fizzle out and play in Euro leagues.

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
Sad thing is i recognize a few of those players as guys i liked leading up to the draft. :(

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
probably my least favorite leafs pick in recent memory

everyone wanted the sliding debrincat, they went with a guy not even ranked.
now debrincat is a 50pt forward and we are left to wonder if korshkov will ever even play in NA

kinda went under the radar with the matthews pick hogging all the news
According to Korshkov's Wikipedia page it says he was scouted for the Leafs by Evgeny Namestnikov, who was the same person that recommended they sign Nikita Soshnikov.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad