Value of: The 15th overall pick.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
yes, the point of upgrading the defense should be to acquire another RHD in addition to Holl, not just swapping out the only RHD for a better one

The point to upgrade the defense, if Holl can somehow be packaged for a better D .man then that's what needs to happen.

you can get the second piece you need on the free agent market.

Because make no mistake they need 2 pieces and Holl proved against Columbus he is NOT top 4, Muzzin made him look like one but he carried Holl

ref19

Oct 3, 2017
I would probably be in the minority of Wild fans, but I would be willing to make a deal for Brodin or Dumba around the 15th pick.
Would have to be a hefty add from Toronto with 15

TML Dynasty

May 2, 2016
The point to upgrade the defense, if Holl can somehow be packaged for a better D .man then that's what needs to happen.

you can get the second piece you need on the free agent market.

Because make no mistake they need 2 pieces and Holl proved against Columbus he is NOT top 4, Muzzin made him look like one but he carried Holl
I’d like to think there will be growth from Holl this upcoming year, better beside Muzz. But yeah would be pretty excited to upgrade him too

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
Shea Weber is worth more to MTL even at his age and salary cap. He is a real good leader and just a solid dman.

That being said not a good fit because of his cap hit and age.

and how much are you willing to retain? 50%? toronto can't take weber's full cap hit.

If TO is making room for Pietrangelo's cap hit, they can make room for Weber's. Weber is a better fit than Pietrangelo. And TO's window isn't as long as they like to think it is - already losing depth to load up with higher dollar contracts before winning anything at all. In terms of next season and the one after, Weber is the better fit IMO. After that, window's closing. Too many top picks traded away to be able to replace the depth that'll be lost to pay the big 4(big 5 if they get the D they want). No obvious replacement for Andersen. And Weber's deal is actually shorter in remaining length than what they'd likely have to give Pietrangelo.

I mean, I hate the Leafs more than life itself and hope they don't get Weber. I think he'd be huge for them and make them a much better team. But if I was Dubas I'd be making that call for sure.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada

You can think whatever you want. The Leafs are not dumping Holl. They are desperate for RHD, he makes little money and he was fine in the top 4 for the majority of the year.

If he can look like a top 4 guy while playing with Muzzin thats more than enough to justify his salary and role. If he was good enough to carry his own pairing he wouldn't be making $2 million.

Reactions: qqaz

Petrus

Jan 5, 2017
Bay Street
If TO is making room for Pietrangelo's cap hit, they can make room for Weber's. Weber is a better fit than Pietrangelo. And TO's window isn't as long as they like to think it is - already losing depth to load up with higher dollar contracts before winning anything at all. In terms of next season and the one after, Weber is the better fit IMO. After that, window's closing. Too many top picks traded away to be able to replace the depth that'll be lost to pay the big 4(big 5 if they get the D they want). No obvious replacement for Andersen. And Weber's deal is actually shorter in remaining length than what they'd likely have to give Pietrangelo.

I mean, I hate the Leafs more than life itself and hope they don't get Weber. I think he'd be huge for them and make them a much better team. But if I was Dubas I'd be making that call for sure.

Good point. Assuming Leafs have cap space which is a better fit?

Weber - 35 yrs, , 7.9m x 6 cap hit***and cost of trade. ( ***cap recapture Risk to Nashville)

Pietrangelo- 29 yrs, 9m x 7 cap hit and UFA.

Even if Toronto can vacate from 10m in cap obligation, acquiring one of these 2 dman will result in not having enough to sign Reilly in 2 years time.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
15th pick for Georgiev + Carolina 1st.

Rangers move up in the draft while the Leafs get a goalie with control that can split with Andersen or be the starter if they ship him out and remain in the first round, in the 22-24 range.

Rangers can offer a 3rd for some balance if Geo+Car 1st is just under the value threshold.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto

This.... could not be more wrong

They are losing depth because the depth isnt worth paying for. The players didnt produce so they are moving on. They couldve brought back the same group if they really wanted too.

Too many top picks traded away? They have exactly 1 season without a 1st and it was dealt for 1 of their 2 top 4 D in a deal that no a single Leaf fan would take back.

Cant replace the depth? Robertson and Sandin are well ahead in their development, Euro UFAs like Mikheyev, Lehtonen, Barabanov are coming in as well.

Also why would they trade for Weber at 7.5x6 with a recapture risk and use assets to acquire him when they can sign Pietrangelo for free at likely 8.5x7?

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
15th pick for Georgiev + Carolina 1st.

Rangers move up in the draft while the Leafs get a goalie with control that can split with Andersen or be the starter if they ship him out and remain in the first round, in the 22-24 range.

Rangers can offer a 3rd for some balance if Geo+Car 1st is just under the value threshold.

I don't hate it, but I think I might only do it if I can move Andersen for a decent return elsewhere.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
I really don't want to deal Larsson, he is huge for the blue line and having a physical top 4 RHD has been a hole for such a long time. The only way it makes sense to deal him is if Bouchard can step into a top 4 role this year. I think he can, but banking on rookie dmen is risky, regardless of their pedigree.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
I think Larsson is a target if he is truly on the block the issue is his term.
I don't think he gets the 15th pick given he is entering the last year of his deal
He's the kind of player who would fetch a 1st at the trade dealine so the 15th isn't crazy since its for the full year. Maybe the oilers send back a mid round pick/propsect or something but 15 isnt far off.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad