OT: That's it, boys and girls. Hope you had fun. We talked about oh so many things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Do you work for NYC public schools? :biglaugh: The new mayor and his sniping back and forth with Al Roker is one of the funniest things I've seen lately.

Haha, no! But man, is De Blasio getting absolutely hammered in his first term so far. He's upsetting a LOT of people with his decisions in the snow.

As for bad Valentine's day stories? (I hope this doesn't reveal my identity). I'll keep it short and sweet.

In college, I ordered flowers maybe two or three weeks in advance. They didn't get delivered until 2/15. There was no snow storm or anything (I was in Buffalo), or natural event to lead to this disgrace. It was just a really terribly run shop. I went in the next day (2/15) to complain, and the excuse the shop-owner gave me was:

I had never been so busy on Valentine's Day. It reminded me of the times before internet delivery was an option, and I couldn't get my orders out.

Color me shocked, considering how much time she had to prepare mine, and others' orders :shakehead

At least my ex was cool about it. I was ****ing irate though :laugh:

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Haha, no! But man, is De Blasio getting absolutely hammered in his first term so far. He's upsetting a LOT of people with his decisions in the snow.

As for bad Valentine's day stories? (I hope this doesn't reveal my identity). I'll keep it short and sweet.

In college, I ordered flowers maybe two or three weeks in advance. They didn't get delivered until 2/15. There was no snow storm or anything (I was in Buffalo), or natural event to lead to this disgrace. It was just a really terribly run shop. I went in the next day (2/15) to complain, and the excuse the shop-owner gave me was:

Color me shocked, considering how much time she had to prepare mine, and others' orders :shakehead

At least my ex was cool about it. I was ****ing irate though :laugh:
"slammed" is an understatement. For sure.

"NYC immmmmeeeeedddiately regrets that decision"

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Went to my GF's sons Upwards basketball game (youth league / church league). I serve as score keeper at the table. Prior game ends. Twin girls walk out, followed by their dad, Michael Strahan.

Hadnt met him until now because this weeks schedule is jumbled. Did not know he lived here.

Edit: twins from 2nd wife. Wikipedia is my friend.

Last edited:

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
When I was dating a woman back in October, I put my Netflix login in her SmartTV so we could watch something. We only went out for a couple weeks, and I forgot about it.

Noticed it yesterday in my viewing history, so I reset my password. Started getting nasty text messages last night, and an email this morning. She's 32, makes $125k a year, and freaked out over an $8 a month streaming subscription.

Man, did I dodge a bullet there.

Also, speaking of cars : Thinking of trading in Ol' Bessy and getting a Jetta.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
nothing like acing a standardized test to remind you how dumb and aimless your intelligent ass is

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
When I was dating a woman back in October, I put my Netflix login in her SmartTV so we could watch something. We only went out for a couple weeks, and I forgot about it.

Noticed it yesterday in my viewing history, so I reset my password. Started getting nasty text messages last night, and an email this morning. She's 32, makes $125k a year, and freaked out over an $8 a month streaming subscription.

Man, did I dodge a bullet there.

Also, speaking of cars : Thinking of trading in Ol' Bessy and getting a Jetta.

You dated for a couple weeks and knew how much she made for a living...
You recall if she told you off the cuff, or you asked, or did you just know because she was a co-worker and you essentially knew her pay grade?

Granted, it takes me a while to open up to people, but I don't think I'd ever be that open, that fast, with anything financial... wondering if I am odd in that regard...

======================
Back on Valentines Day:
I picked up flowers a couple weeks back. Then got more this past weekend.
Our Valentines gift was getting power restored at our house after 2+ days of outage due to ice storm. House got down to 50 degrees which isn't too bad given it was below freezing at night. During outage, temporarily moved all of us back into my old house (haven't completely moved out of it yet) for a couple days because I still had power there, although the kids still felt imprisoned because cable / internet was out. 4 school days missed 2 weeks ago, plus 2 this week means all remaining teacher workdays (no school for kids) and half-day dismissals for rest of year are rescinded. Plus, they now have school next Saturday. Not joking!!!

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
You recall if she told you off the cuff, or you asked, or did you just know because she was a co-worker and you essentially knew her pay grade?

Granted, it takes me a while to open up to people, but I don't think I'd ever be that open, that fast, with anything financial... wondering if I am odd in that regard...

======================
Back on Valentines Day:
I picked up flowers a couple weeks back. Then got more this past weekend.
Our Valentines gift was getting power restored at our house after 2+ days of outage due to ice storm. House got down to 50 degrees which isn't too bad given it was below freezing at night. During outage, temporarily moved all of us back into my old house (haven't completely moved out of it yet) for a couple days because I still had power there, although the kids still felt imprisoned because cable / internet was out. 4 school days missed 2 weeks ago, plus 2 this week means all remaining teacher workdays (no school for kids) and half-day dismissals for rest of year are rescinded. Plus, they now have school next Saturday. Not joking!!!

There's no way I'd send my kid to school on a Saturday, that's just cruel.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
There's no way I'd send my kid to school on a Saturday, that's just cruel.

State law mandates a certain number of annual instructional days. Most school districts have 3 extra days as buffer for snow, etc.

Kids were off, they had their fun already. Parents could use a "date" day. I think it's just fine. :laugh:

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
State law mandates a certain number of annual instructional days. Most school districts have 3 extra days as buffer for snow, etc.

Kids were off, they had their fun already. Parents could use a "date" day. I think it's just fine. :laugh:

Oh yeah, I know about the mandate. It happened once or twice when I was still in school, but we never hit the overage on it. We hit our max allowed and then they just kept the school open on iffy days after that.

Still, having a school day on a Saturday just seems like...wrong. :laugh:

Did pretty much nothing for Valentines, bought my partner some pretzel M&Ms, sent the girlfriend a text.

Worst/Best Story:
Was a little over three years into my relationship with my previous girlfriend. Valentines Day came right after our dating anniversary so I spent about $1,000 taking her to NYC for the weekend, staying in a luxury hotel, all that stuff, this was February 6th-8th, so the weekend before Valentines day. I have tickets to the Sabres games on February 11th and February 15th that year, I live in Syracuse, and the girlfriend goes to school in Albany.

Find out a few days later that she wants me to come visit her on the 14th because her two roommates are getting dinner with their boyfriends (both relationships less than a month old) and she didn't want to be left out. I'm not driving Syracuse - Buffalo - Syracuse - Albany - Syracuse - Buffalo - Syracuse in the span of five days so I tell her no way.

February 15th, the worst cup winning goalie ever, Cam Ward, shuts out the Sabres. The week after Valentines Day, February 22nd, Scott Gomez chops off Ryan Miller's leg with an axe (pretty sure that's how that went), I get my first and only ticket, and she dumps me. The first of those hurt the most.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
Sorry to hear that. stuff like that sucks. I haven't been in a relationship for real in more than a year. I admire people who are married for long times and everything because I can't tolerate a lot and will break up or whatever relatively painlessly

Sorry to hear that. stuff like that sucks. I haven't been in a relationship for real in more than a year. I admire people who are married for long times and everything because I can't tolerate a lot and will break up or whatever relatively painlessly

Oh this was years ago, the year Scott Gomez chewed on Ryan Miller's leg like it was a raw ham and he was a German Shepherd (pretty sure that's what happened). 2009 I think.

I'm a somewhat extreme introvert so I tend to only want to date other introverts who are going to want to be left alone / leave me alone a decent amounts, at least in terms of primary partners.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
Oh this was years ago, the year Scott Gomez chewed on Ryan Miller's leg like it was a raw ham and he was a German Shepherd (pretty sure that's what happened). 2009 I think.

I'm a somewhat extreme introvert so I tend to only want to date other introverts who are going to want to be left alone / leave me alone a decent amounts, at least in terms of primary partners.

I take it you're poly? Unless I'm reading that wrong. :laugh:

Mike McDermott

blah blah blah
Apr 23, 2006
Lockport

Two responses come to mind to this:

1 when you find the right person, it won't be so painless and you'll realize that you need to make it work.
2 I know it sounds corny but the key to making a relationship last, as with anything else... When part of it is broke, you fix it instead of throwing it away.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas

That simply means you haven't found anyone worth adapting to or sacrificing for.

No, you read it right, haha. Being introverted and being someone's second (or third or whatever) option are highly compatible. :laugh:

Ha, fair enough.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011

She told me on her own, and yes I thought it was quite odd at the time. WAAAAAY too much info that early on.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Two responses come to mind to this:

1 when you find the right person, it won't be so painless and you'll realize that you need to make it work.
2 I know it sounds corny but the key to making a relationship last, as with anything else... When part of it is broke, you fix it instead of throwing it away.

Reminds me of Chandler Bing after his first fight with Monica... "So I guess this is over. "

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad