Post-Game Talk: That's 5!

Status
Not open for further replies.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
AA and Vanek, Helm are a great combo.
Let's see what Holland does to screw it up when Jurco comes back.
Would you really trade Jurco for AA even up?
And this nonsense about AA plays better with fewer minutes is mind boggling nonsense.
So is Hollands nonsense about "ripening" these young NHL ready players.

But what's he going to do with Jurco?
I'd have him join Frk in Carolina and pick up a draft pick.

Considering he is only a proven 4th liner when healthy (Jurco) at best we would maybe be able to peel him off to a team in need of bottom 6'rs for a 6/7th but probably only a conditional pick.

InGusWeTrust

hockey.tk
May 6, 2009
Michigan
hockey.tk
2nd period was sloppy. If only we could play the whole game like the 1st. Would kill it this year. Feels good to have one of the best goaltending duos in the league :D They should be since theyre getting paid like one..

steafo

Sep 26, 2005
Michigan
I've missed the last couple games. Does anyone have an assessment on Sproul? Has he looked better than XO? I was not impressed with XO in the games he's played thus far.

I'm hoping one of those 2 is the type of player that turns out to be a better NHLer than AHLer or junior player. Very wishful thinking here.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Was looking up some stats to see how optimistic I should be.

4th best P%, 6th best GF/G and GA/G. Not bad.

However my thing is always about sustainability and repeatability. Can they keep it up or are they getting lucky?

3rd worst Corsi, 7th worst Corsi-Close, 7th worst Fenwick, 8th worst Fenwick-Close, 3rd highest PDO.

1st highest PDO is Montreal. We *know* they aren't staying at a .9+ P%. Second highest is the Hawks who's absolutely abysmal PK is thus far being bailed out by that insanely high PDO. I think we're due for a hard regression.

My only hope is that the team gels and improves to avoid it.
We've been playing with a lead a lot this season. If you look at the possession stats when the game is tied we look better. Still it's obvious that a 5-game winning streak this early will make some stats look unsustainable since we obviously won't win 5 out of every 7 games all year.

can someone explain to me why Andreas Athanasiou is getting such little ice time.

Is there something Blashill has against him?

Everytime I've watched him play , he seems to be more dynamic than even Larkin. (maybe its just me though)

But regardless he deserves way more ice time.
He's not really getting that bad icetime. My impression is that he is an absolute weapon against bottom 6 matchups. I think he can grow into a top 6 player but for the moment why not let him do damage in a smaller role? I'm sure he'll get looks higher in the lineup, and hopefully some PP time. But for now he's doing fine and the team is too.

id be shocked if jurco wasnt waived.

Is jurco eligible for a conditioning stint? if so that would be obvious thing to do short term
I'd actually be shocked if he WAS waived. Conditioning stint for sure to start with. If we're healthy.. we'll I guess he could be traded. Or we send AA down in a temporary "give Jurco a shot" move. But I don't know what the timeline is for Jurco/Kronwall, once they're ready to go other injuries may have hit.

I've missed the last couple games. Does anyone have an assessment on Sproul? Has he looked better than XO? I was not impressed with XO in the games he's played thus far.

I'm hoping one of those 2 is the type of player that turns out to be a better NHLer than AHLer or junior player. Very wishful thinking here.
Sproul has definitely outplayed XO so far. He has displayed a skillset that is otherwise sorely lacking on our team apart from Green, with strong puck-movement and an ability to join offensive rushes or even carry the puck into the offensive zone himself. Looks fantastic on the PP and has 9 SOG in 3 games (2nd on the team). Defensively has for the most part been fine too, so early signs are very promising for him to turn into a good NHLer.

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007

He looked ok. He does have few rough edges in his game but he more or less did the same things he did in game against Sharks.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
I agree with the sentiment that Jurco will most likely get waived or possibly traded, he isn't better than anyone on the roster right now and has had enough time in the NHL to see if there's anything there.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
We've been playing with a lead a lot this season. If you look at the possession stats when the game is tied we look better. Still it's obvious that a 5-game winning streak this early will make some stats look unsustainable since we obviously won't win 5 out of every 7 games all year.

I'm not sure that a score effect should account for nearly a 10% drop in Corsi/Fenwick.

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Where are the Steve Ott haters? He had a fantastic game, solely responsible for AA's goal. Jumped in for Green. He took Pavelski off the ice against SJ for their PP in the third period. He has been a GREAT fourth line asset.

AA, Larkin, Big E.

I was hating Ericsson hard earlier. He has been engaged all year. That fight with Palat got him going. He has a major, major edge to his game. He looks mad. He looks like a guy that know he's been complete garbage the last year or two. I love it when I am wrong if this is the outcome.

I have to say when Abby comes back, you have to sit Sheahan. AA clearly doesn't belong in the press box, and that line has great chemistry. You can't break up that fourth line either. They have completely shut down teams the last 3 games, and are scoring to boot. Glenny with his career high in shots the other night.

Looking good:handclap:

Agreed 100%. I am all for Sheahan sitting because he is the most invisible player on the roster right. Ow in my opinion. I think that AA is the real deal and is earning more ice time. Sproul looks good, E is doing awesome right now, Helm is scoring points, and we have toughness now. I'm in shock. Keep it up, boys.

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO

I think Sproul is better based on my eye test. He seems to move the puck well and isn't afraid to use his size to hit. So yeah, bench XO

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
I think those so called advanced stats favor particular brands of hockey. I do agree they are a good predictor of SC winner but they can also draw a skewed picture that can be interpreted incorrectly in some cases. For instance, a skilled counter attack team that is not overly physical and have fantastic goal tending will not show up very well on that stats. Sounds like Habs and Wings to me.

As for overall picture, I tend to just look at goals for/against myself. It's simple but kinda no brainier indicator as to which teams are separating themselves from the pack. I think we are doing pretty well on that department.

Right now, Wings are pretty formidable on 5on5. We need to do improve PK though. Dont need advanced stats to see that one.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
For instance, a skilled counter attack team that is not overly physical and have fantastic goal tending will not show up very well on that stats. Sounds like Habs and Wings to me.
People seem to say that every year about how "this team defies the conventional wisdom!" and yet it seems like more often than not they're just due for a regression. They said it about the Leafs, Flames, Avs. "We only take high quality shots!"

I just don't buy it.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
We've been dominating possession early in games and then once we jump out to a 2-3 goal lead we sit back and play prevent defense. Shots after the first period against Carolina were 10-5. Scoring chances were 5-0. Score 3-0. This was the case against San Jose and Nashville as well.

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
People seem to say that every year about how "this team defies the conventional wisdom!" and yet it seems like more often than not they're just due for a regression. They said it about the Leafs, Flames, Avs. "We only take high quality shots!"

I just don't buy it.

I dont pay any attention to advanced stats so I dont have much to say about those teams that you mentioned. But if those teams had terrible D, goaltending and were just relying on shooting, it will likely normalize after a period when they suddenly hit a wall, their snipers are in cold streak or game gets tighter as season rolls along. hmm I wonder why Leafs kept failing towards end of season last couple seasons. Wings are a slightly different beast than just those one dimensional team.

For instance, a team like Toronto who generates alot of chances but their defence and goalies are ******** the bed, they might show up really well on advanced stats but they are not going anywhere because they can't win hockey games. They might shock some teams out of the gate with their speed and skill but when it gets tighter and they have to defend the lead, they can't hold the lead because they dont know how to play defence and goalies are bad.

It's true we are not an elite team in terms of talent but we are really maximizing our skill set because the way hockey played right now really fits well to our roster which is complete 180 compared to previous few seasons where hockey was about grinding and we got checked to death along the board while Z is getting gassed by the half of the season. Yes goal may not go in as much later in the season but if Wings keep improving their execution in their zone, we just might keep winning the game.

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I think those so called advanced stats favor particular brands of hockey. I do agree they are a good predictor of SC winner but they can also draw a skewed picture that can be interpreted incorrectly in some cases. For instance, a skilled counter attack team that is not overly physical and have fantastic goal tending will not show up very well on that stats. Sounds like Habs and Wings to me.

Skilled counterattack and fantastic goaltending are hard things to rely on over a long period of time, IMO. We have done a good job in both areas so far, though.

Especially goaltending. Consistent goaltending is almost an oxymoron in the NHL. You almost always see ebbs and flows with goaltending over the course of a season.

I'd like to see us get + on shot differential, but otherwise the team has been good so far. Our transition game seems to be better, which has been somewhat our Achilles heel the last year or so.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Love the way the team is playing. Really happy for Helm.

One thing though.

Whats with Larkin still falling on his own lol? I thought he would have been able to stop that by now.

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
Skilled counterattack and fantastic goaltending are hard things to rely on over a long period of time, IMO. We have done a good job in both areas so far, though.

Especially goaltending. Consistent goaltending is almost an oxymoron in the NHL. You almost always see ebbs and flows with goaltending over the course of a season.

I'd like to see us get + on shot differential, but otherwise the team has been good so far. Our transition game seems to be better, which has been somewhat our Achilles heel the last year or so.

Consistent goaltending is not out of the reach. We have 2 good goalies. Thank god we didnt trade Howard. I hope him and Mraz can keep it up because they are actually doing some heavy lifting right now.

As for shot differentials, teams will get better defending as season go on and games will inevitably get tighter. So maybe there will be a regression in scoring. There's not much we can do about it. However, it's not the offence but the defence I am more interested in. I think there are some improvements that can still be made back there.

Last edited:

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
I love the aggressiveness they play with. Teams expect us to back down like we've always done but instead we're fighting back. Weber not being prepared to fight Larkin is a perfect example of this.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I'm not sure that a score effect should account for nearly a 10% drop in Corsi/Fenwick.
In a small sample size it can. Only takes 2-3 games where we are not sitting back defending leads for the numbers to start looking much differently. Also I'm guessing the road games are heavily influencing our advanced stats, but not all our road games are going to be against Tampa/Florida/NYR.

InGusWeTrust

hockey.tk
May 6, 2009
Michigan
hockey.tk
In a small sample size it can. Only takes 2-3 games where we are not sitting back defending leads for the numbers to start looking much differently. Also I'm guessing the road games are heavily influencing our advanced stats, but not all our road games are going to be against Tampa/Florida/NYR.

exactly, we play the canes twice in their building :amazed:;)

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada

Yea, I'm not sold on these statistics meaning anything yet. Let's wait until we have a 15-20 game sample size before we put any stock into the analytics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad