Player Discussion Thatcher Demko

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
You gotta wonder why the Canucks complained to the league about the start date of this series.

They could've bought a couple of extra days for Demko to rest/heal if they went with the later start date.

Clearly he could've used that, as the current injury appears to be at least tangently related to the March injury.

TruKnyte

On the wagon
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
You gotta wonder why the Canucks complained to the league about the start date of this series.

They could've bought a couple of extra days for Demko to rest/heal if they went with the later start date.

Clearly he could've used that, as the current injury appears to be at least tangently related to the March injury.

Yea I thought that was dumb at the time as well

Reactions: SillyRabbit

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
There reports are worrisome.

Demko is on that Luongo/Schneider tier when he's healthy, but it's honestly looking like his injury history is degenerative.

Damn man, it's honestly looking like Demko is going to be a what if because he was damn great when healthy.

TruKnyte

On the wagon
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
Demko is perfect in a 1a 1b situation like when we had Markstrom where he didn’t have to play so many games. Don’t think we can keep him and do that again though

Reactions: Indiana

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Can’t play him more than 55 games. Probably still will get hurt. His knees and groin are only going to get worse. Can’t be a 1G if that’s the case.

• Wow
Reactions: Ghetty Green

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops

Demko is on that Luongo/Schneider tier when he's healthy, but it's honestly looking like his injury history is degenerative.

Damn man, it's honestly looking like Demko is going to be a what if because he was damn great when healthy.
This is why I'd be reeeeeally careful about his next contract. I have zero issues with Demko the hockey player but he's injury prone. Two seasons in a row he's been out long term with injury and now he's out again after Game 1 of the playoffs.

Flik

Canucks fan for life
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2010
Vancouver, WA

Breaks my f***ing heart because he's a difference maker and it looks like his body just won't be able to keep up. God I hope I'm wrong about that.

Reactions: sting101

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Do you know ANYTHING about hip injuries at all?

Any damaged hip operated on is subject to Osteoarthritis which deteriorates the joint. Weakens it. It can pop in and out easier.

It can be numbed with injections or pain killers but will be incredibly painful once they wear off..

Playing cannot damage it more if surgery is indicated.

Have you seen him limp? Favour one leg or the other like a knee might cause.

If you are going to critique my post at least read Wikipedia about hip joint issues and procedures.

And saying arthritis will get worse is hardly predicting, it is assured, they haven't found a cure for it and he had the same procedure Schnieder did.

And do you really believe a professional competitive hockey team would tell the world what the real injury until they have to?

"hey a contact game, he hurt his right foot"
Arthritis isnt the mechanism causing Demkos injury spiraling.

Reactions: theguardianII

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The second season in a row where Demko has gone down at arguably the worst possible time.

Teams that go the distance seem to have two goalies, a I and IA. I suppose if Vegas can win with Aiden Hill and Logan Thompson, maybe the Canucks can find a guy who's good enough to split the starts down the middle with Demko next season.

Then at least they wouldn't be forced to throw the backup in there, having played so few games.

Reactions: Iron Mike Sharpe

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
So many teams have proven that you don't need a superstar goalie to win in the playoffs.

You need a precise structure, balanced firepower up front, and a strong defensive core that can clear the front of the net.

Pinning all of your hopes on a goalie to bail you out has never been a good strategy.

Reactions: mdobbs and Grumbler

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Dude went down to cover the post and hes out.. need to move on and get someone reliable
Pretty sure PDG pushing a Preds player directly into Demko’s knee was the main culprit, I bet the knee got worse as the game went on after that and Demko battled through the pain.

Even Dan Murphy alluded to that being the case

Reactions: calnuck

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
He is gone now. Team has to learn how to play without elite goaltending.
Management also has to start building a team that doesn't rely on elite goaltending every night, and really need to hedge our bets on Silovs or someone coming into the picture and providing average goaltending at worst.

This team desperately needs a D group that can limit high danger scoring chances and can really disrupt offensive chances down low. Soucy was a great addition here. Hughes and Hronek are rather average in this regard. Myers has constantly been terrible at tracking players down low.

For the backup role. I would look at signing Laurent Brossoit in the off-season who has shown to be an excellent backup goaltender in the league (horrible as a starter though). Chris Driedger is another guy worth checking out.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
The team might need to look to get an experienced goaltender that can be our #1 if need be. Trade with a rebuilding team for them to retain 50% of the cap to make it work, some names include Vejmelka/Ingram, Husso, Gustavsson (if Wallstedt is ready), Blackwood, or even Merzlikins/Gibson/Markstrom but their term is daunting.

Last edited:

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Management also has to start building a team that doesn't rely on elite goaltending every night, and really need to hedge our bets on Silovs or someone coming into the picture and providing average goaltending at worst.

This team desperately needs a D group that can limit high danger scoring chances and can really disrupt offensive chances down low. Soucy was a great addition here. Hughes and Hronek are rather average in this regard. Myers has constantly been terrible at tracking players down low.

For the backup role. I would look at signing Laurent Brossoit in the off-season who has shown to be an excellent backup goaltender in the league (horrible as a starter though). Chris Driedger is another guy worth checking out.

I'm not sure there's much we can do here. I think you need great goaltending (not the same as great goaltender) to win in the playoffs. I personally like Tampa's model of having an elite goaltender rather than winning a Cup with an unexpected #1 who emerges out of nowhere.

I don't have an issue spending money on a good backup but I think it's difficult hedging our bets on an excellent backup type to step in and backstop the team to the Cup. And the bet is an even lower percentage play if the goal is to have a competitive window since that backup goalie who wins you a Cup is going to get paid.

DeSmith is actually an excellent backup in a situation where he's filling in for Demko and playing about 20 games a year. Like you said, Brossoit is excellent but he's not a proven starter either. A proven starter (1A/1B type) will not like getting one of the back to back games and will be expensive - logically who wants to come here to backup Demko if our offer isn't for most money?

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
According to Tocchet, Demko will be out 'week to week'.

Unfortunately, this series could be over in another week.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad