Player Discussion Thatcher Demko

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Doesn't he already have better advanced stats? I have no idea about advanced goaltender stats so if I'm wrong someone correct me.

He does but I think they may be skewed by the fact Markstrom likely played his last 2 games injured and stunk up the joint.

5-1 Canucks
7-1 Oilers

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Am I the only one who's not surprised by Demko getting into a groove here? He was the real deal against Vegas in the bubble. Not often a team who loses a series refers to the goaltender in their previous series getting into their heads.
I had faith in him. Figured he would take time to adjust to a heavier workload.

to think people wanted to use him as a sweetener to unload Eriksson.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
I was okay letting Marky walk based on Demko's progress. I see no reason now, and saw no reason then, to overspend on Holtby as a backup. There were just as good and cheaper options available. Probably we could have gotten two of them for the price of Holtby and been able to have one as backup and one on the taxi squad... and therefore allowed DiPietro to go and play a lot in Utica instead of inexplicably withering on the vine in Van.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Am I the only one who's not surprised by Demko getting into a groove here? He was the real deal against Vegas in the bubble. Not often a team who loses a series refers to the goaltender in their previous series getting into their heads.

I’m not surprised Demko has grabbed the reins, but I can understand preparing for him being unable to sustain that level going forward. Even his play now - which is excellent - isn’t at that lightning-in-a-bottle level it was against Vegas. The question was always “where will his play level out”.

And I think we’re seeing that it’s levelling out as really damn good.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
I’m not surprised Demko has grabbed the reins, but I can understand preparing for him being unable to sustain that level going forward. Even his play now - which is excellent - isn’t at that lightning-in-a-bottle level it was against Vegas. The question was always “where will his play level out”.

The constant flip flopping of him and Holtby ruined his groove earlier in the season. Now he’s on one of his streaks again.

Reactions: bh53

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour

Hahah well that was like an epic performance..............even with our roster we would be the top team in the league with goaltending like that on a night to night basis.

I am not one bit surprised. I've been saying for years now this guy is gonna be a stud. I've watched his progression and he always seems to take a minute to adjust and then figure it out.

It's his mental fortitude and iron clad mindset that makes him such a stud.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
It’s not too early to say that Demko has established himself as a starter in this league. He can have an off game and I have full confidence that he will come back with a followup A+ performance. The coaching staff has to know that he gives them the best chance to win. Which, by definition, is a #1.

He just turned 25. It’s his time.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Hahah well that was like an epic performance..............even with our roster we would be the top team in the league with goaltending like that on a night to night basis.

I am not one bit surprised. I've been saying for years now this guy is gonna be a stud. I've watched his progression and he always seems to take a minute to adjust and then figure it out.

It's his mental fortitude and iron clad mindset that makes him such a stud.
We’ve gotten goaltending like that from him a significant portion of the season.

Look at the stats Mr C posted from his last eight games - and we are .500 lol

Wildcarder

Oct 21, 2008
Toronto
If Demko keeps playing like this what is his next contract at the end of this season going to look like? What can we afford?

Bridge 2 x 4m?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
If Demko keeps playing like this what is his next contract at the end of this season going to look like? What can we afford?

Bridge 2 x 4m?
Blackwood got under $3 mill per after taking the over the reigns due to Schneider’s injuries. Which is basically what Demko is doing this season in place of the departed Markstrom.

Demko is ufa in 2 years. Unless Seattle takes Holtby the Canucks can’t do yerm with Demko thus it should be a 1-2 year deal at around $3 mill. He also has arbitration rights but again is a 1 year starter.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
6 years at $4.875 million who says no

Last edited:
Reactions: 420Canuck

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
Demko, Blackwood or Hart from this point forward?

furthermore....

Those 3 plus the 3 I.S.
Ilya Samsonov
Igor Shesterkin
Ilya Sorokin

He's right behind Shesterkin in my opinion, knowing he is capable of stealing a series.

Last edited:

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Getting a deal when the team doesn’t expect to be competitive seems dumb. I like that lock him up idea.

People are stuck in 2010 with goalie cap hits.

Bridge him until 28 then you have to lock him until 35/36.

Makes tons of sense to give him that m2B offer. It’s not even a top 10 caphit.

Jon Quick is on that caphit from a decade ago.

A bridge walks him to ufa. Why wouldn’t he just check what ufa has to offer? Locking him up would be wise.

Blackwood is low end, Matt Murray is the top end comp. not sure why he’s taking less than Holtby.

Can’t believe folks don’t want to lock him down after all the dunking that they kept him and let Marky leave for free.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Hellebuyck got $6.17Mx7 as an RFA at age 25. He had already been a #1 for over 2 years and was putting up vesina numbers. And they bought several years of free agency for that price. I hope Demko gets there but he doesn't dserve close to Hellebuyck money. And Hellebuyck wouldn't even get that money in flat cap post covid times.

The next 6 goaltenders that signed as RFAs at a similar age are between $3.3M and $5M. Demko should be somewhere in that range. How he finishes the season will dictate where in that range he ends up.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
A bridge contract just doesn't make sense. It sets up another difficult contract with Demko at an awkward age to lock someone up long-term. An AAV discount now also isn't that helpful, given we're not contenders.

A long-term contract at around ~5 million would be very ideal. However, given the cap situation and ownership's financial issues, it might not happen.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Actual Vezina winners wouldn’t get $6m in covid times? Can’t say I agree.

The top goalies are over $9m

Locking in what you hope is a top goalie for under $6 for basically what you hope is your teams 2 year reboot and 4 year contending windows makes a lot of sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad