Player Discussion Thatcher Demko

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
DuSKI5E.png

Are there any examples of a better 3 game or longer playoff statline in nhl history?

Reactions: Bleach Clean

CanucksMJL

Context apologist.
Jul 6, 2009
DuSKI5E.png

Are there any examples of a better 3 game or longer playoff statline in NHL history?
It's a ridiculous stat line. There's a big difference between a goalie showing well and a goalie that shows an all-time-great statline. Before this unprecedented performance I was very much in the re-sign Marky camp. #1s are hard to get, but we have a unique situation that really pushes us towards the bombshell we think we see but haven't really had her do a twirl for us yet.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
DuSKI5E.png

Are there any examples of a better 3 game or longer playoff statline in nhl history?

Probably not. Jonathan Quick came close a few times from 2012-14. In 2012 he had a 3 game stretch where he had 0.965 save %, 2013 0.978, and 2014 a 0.979. 2014 was part of a 5 game stretch where he had a 0.97 save percentage.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Craig Button speaking facts, saying this may be potentially the biggest blessing in disguise from that playoffs that vancouver learned.

Markstrom's agent lost a lot of leverage.

Take the savings in a flat cap world and run with it.
especially with the veteran UFA market for goalies .

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Craig Button speaking facts, saying this may be potentially the biggest blessing in disguise from that playoffs that vancouver learned.

Markstrom's agent lost a lot of leverage.

Take the savings in a flat cap world and run with it.
especially with the veteran UFA market for goalies .
I would agree. Canucks should hold firm, but even that, I wouldn't come back with an offer unless I didn't have to include ED protection. He'll get protected, even without an ED if he signs with another team. As he'll know the depth chart and teams like Carolina/Chicago have no other options to protect anyways.

ED more than the cap situation dictates a goalie move.

But, with the cap the way it is and the Canuck's borrowing from the the 20-22 teams to secure contracts during the 2016-2019 era, they have to pay for it now.

It's a flat cap and also economics will dictate that the few teams with cap space, may not wish to spend millions of dollars actually paying players. Plus, a lot of teams are looking to move players out just to keep their guys.

Don't expect many teams to upgrade over what they have. Need internal upgrades or low cost vets.

Only Colorado as a top team can add contract. Boston, maybe, but they would have holes to fill if Krug leaves. Dallas can also add a bit but need to be mindful of Heiskenen's new contract, but I think they can fit him in without too much headache.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Strikes me that Tanev and Markstrom are something of the same boat.....veterans who've hit 30 and are increasingly injury prone.

Markstrom needed knee surgery and was unavailable to the Canucks down the stretch in March. And as we all know he was knocked out the Vegas series for the last three games and apparently couldn't even dress as a backup.

Benning and the Canucks need to live via a new mantra when it comes to signing 30-year old players to four and five year contract terms. Call it the 'Louie Eriksson' rule. Basically forget about it.

Reactions: bossram

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
It is a dangerous gamble to rely on a small sample size of outstanding play. Benning may be forced to do so due to the self imposed cap constrains, could end up looking like a genius move or be finally the thing what costs him the job if Demko falters.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Whoever tends goal for the Canucks next season, they're likely dead in the water anyway if this team continue to cough up shots and scoring chances like they did most of last season.

They were 20th in goals against and 25th in terms of shots allowed. And as the schedule wound down, they were actually trending worse in terms of those overall stats. And that was WITH Markstrom standing on his head for most of the season. Imagine how bad it would have been had their goaltending even been 'average'?

So unless the Canucks can basically remake their blueline or shed some poor performing veterans with awful contracts, they're going to need BOTH goalies. They'd be treading in dangerous ground if they expect Markstrom to come back and replicate what he did last season while playing the same number of games.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
It is a dangerous gamble to rely on a small sample size of outstanding play. Benning may be forced to do so due to the self imposed cap constrains, could end up looking like a genius move or be finally the thing what costs him the job if Demko falters.

Big gamble but saves cap space to help add depth on offense or defense as well. Management would definitely be getting a veteran backup of course in case Demko has some bad luck or to give him a break. Demko is part of the core now.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

Agreed. This 3 game stretch shouldn't change much. It's obvious Demko won't continue putting up a .985.

The decision should be on whether it's worth the considerable investment to re-sign Markstrom in a flat cap environment - especially given he's been getting banged up this season, his age, and that goaltender performance is volatile. Is it better to run Demko + 1B and keep the cap savings? That's the decision.

Thinking Demko is going to be a star should absolutely not be a consideration. Anyone remember Andrew Hammond? Goalies can go on insane runs...and then disappear.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
Agreed. This 3 game stretch shouldn't change much. It's obvious Demko won't continue putting up a .985.

The decision should be on whether it's worth the considerable investment to re-sign Markstrom in a flat cap environment - especially given he's been getting banged up this season, his age, and that goaltender performance is volatile. Is it better to run Demko + 1B and keep the cap savings? That's the decision.

Thinking Demko is going to be a star should absolutely not be a consideration. Anyone remember Andrew Hammond? Goalies can go on insane runs...and then disappear.

It'd be one thing if we plucked Demko out of obscurity and he forced his way onto the team as backup from the ECHL. But the guy has a pedigree - #1 rated goalie in his draft year who was picked early in the 2nd round. Went on to represent US in junior tournaments, a Hobey Baker finalist and AHL standout. That, more than a 3 game sample is why it's a decent gamble to transition to Demko.

You might argue that without Marky, Demko is going to be exposed due to the team's firedrill coverage in their own end. That might be true, but doesn't that mean the actual problem is the defensive coverage and not the goaltending? The question is whether we can afford a year of supporting Marky's and Demko's salary when the cap is at its tightest. If not, it's easier to sign the long term fit in net, wish Marky all the best, and fix the coverage.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
It'd be one thing if we plucked Demko out of obscurity and he forced his way onto the team as backup from the ECHL. But the guy has a pedigree - #1 rated goalie in his draft year who was picked early in the 2nd round. Went on to represent US in junior tournaments, a Hobey Baker finalist and AHL standout. That, more than a 3 game sample is why it's a decent gamble to transition to Demko.

You might argue that without Marky, Demko is going to be exposed due to the team's firedrill coverage in their own end. That might be true, but doesn't that mean the actual problem is the defensive coverage and not the goaltending? The question is whether we can afford a year of supporting Marky's and Demko's salary when the cap is at its tightest. If not, it's easier to sign the long term fit in net, wish Marky all the best, and fix the coverage.

There's basically no relationship in goalie performance year-to-year. I think Demko is about as good as it gets for a goalie prospect, but there will always be volatility.

It's really a question of how we can best use our cap space. If that's on Markstrom, I'm okay with that. If that's improving the roster and running with Demko, I'm fine with that.

If it's running with Demko and adding more Benning Special junk UFAs, I'm not fine with that.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
There's basically no relationship in goalie performance year-to-year. I think Demko is about as good as it gets for a goalie prospect, but there will always be volatility.

It's really a question of how we can best use our cap space. If that's on Markstrom, I'm okay with that. If that's improving the roster and running with Demko, I'm fine with that.

If it's running with Demko and adding more Benning Special junk UFAs, I'm not fine with that.
Benning sounds like he will sign Marky and keep Demko too for the coming season. Then he will try and trade Demko before the expansion draft. Imo that’s crazy, because Demko’s trade value is very high now (his cap this year is 1 million, so he’s super affordable)
The closer to the expansion draft the less his value.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Benning sounds like he will sign Marky and keep Demko too for the coming season. Then he will try and trade Demko before the expansion draft. Imo that’s crazy, because Demko’s trade value is very high now (his cap this year is 1 million, so he’s super affordable)
The closer to the expansion draft the less his value.

Exactly. So this is what I expect Benning will do.

We're not going to get much for Demko when most teams will have already sorted out their goalie situation for expansion, and Seattle can just have their pick of the rest.

Reactions: Luckylarry

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
they mentioned on the latest vancast that if the team is planning on filing out the roster by inserting a number of younger players (ie juolevi Rafferty etc) Jim might be more inclined to work harder on getting Markstrom done as the team will want that extra security blanket behind the youth.

lennor

Oct 15, 2019
It’s benning guys he will sign marky for 7x8 and deal Demko for Eric grubranson

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
they mentioned on the latest vancast that if the team is planning on filing out the roster by inserting a number of younger players (ie juolevi Rafferty etc) Jim might be more inclined to work harder on getting Markstrom done as the team will want that extra security blanket behind the youth.
Then trade Demko at the draft fir the best pick possible. Although I don’t think Benning will do that, but he bloody well should.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
In terms of assessing the Canucks goaltending, the expansion draft has to figure prominently in their thinking. Teams can only protect one goalie, and the Canucks aren't going to let Demko go for nothing.

So if they re-sign Markstrom, there's still a chance they lose him in expansion draft anyway. I assume Markstrom and his agent will want a NTC to avoid that possibility. But the Canucks would be extremely unwise to offer it. So that might be a bigger deal-breaker than the money and term.

Ninjadude

Oct 25, 2018
I think they need to have a Demko / Markstrom tandem this year and then trade make the assessment on who to trade. If Demko can keep playing like he did in the Vegas series, there is no question that he is our goalie of the future! Young and at a good price, but im sure he will ask for a huge raise next year!

Ginger Papa

Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
Please forgive me, but I just wanted to retain this Post in the appropriate Thread, as the Round 3 Game 5 Thread sinks into the abyss. As a Goaltender myself, what Thatcher did was absolutely inspirational. Not looking for more "Likes", just simply want to place this here as a reminder of his amazing introduction to Playoff Hockey for our Canucks. And yes, I'm more than a little bit intoxicated.....

Is the end of Playoff play
Happening today?
Vegas could be our team’s destruction.
Four lines that create fear
Danger is always near
Impressive their line up construction
Play them, you will see
Depth scoring is what we need
Dedicated to
Advancing past Round 2

We must play faster (faster)
We’re starting Thatcher (Thatcher)
His turn came faster (faster)
We’re starting Thatcher!, Thatcher!

Thatcher Demko you’re starting this game
Praying you have night of your dreams
Even if you lose it won’t be a thing
We’re proud of you and you’ll hear us scream
Thatcher!
Thatcher!
We’re proud of you all, yes we will all scream
Thatcher!,Thatcher!

The Press it finds the way
To make some of us betray
Coaches reasons becoming clearer
Overplayed Marky?
Demko in Game three?
It’s all in the rearview mirror

Tonight yes, we will see
What is in our #1B
Dedicated to
The future for all of you

Will it be a disaster (disaster)
We’re starting Thatcher (Thatcher)
D-men move the puck faster (faster)
We’re starting Thatcher!, Thatcher!

Thatcher Demko starting behind this Team
Praying you have the game of your dreams
Even if you lose it won’t be a thing
We’re proud of you, now hear us scream
Thatcher!
Thatcher!
We’re proud of you all, yes hear us scream
Thatcher!
Thatcher!
(Thatcher, Thatcher, Thatcher, Thatcher)

Thatcher!
Thatcher!
Here's the chance that you've been after
Thatcher!
Thatcher!
Opportunity tonight
Laughter!
Laughter!
Vegas is cocky with laughter
Laughter!
Laughter!
Laughing until tonight