Speculation: That Shero trades away too many picks and prosepcts, don't yinz think?

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Glad the Despres thing turned out to be 100% Yohe BS (the loser couldn't even own up on Twitter when confronted with his own words... ****ing lightweight hack... learn your trade, idiot). Trying hard to earn himself a Rossi Achievement Award early this year. Good reminder for me and everyone else in here: we can't believe a thing the Trib reports about a player unless it is verified in the form of a DIRECT quote from a coach, a player, or Shero. These morons use each other as sources and worse, so their claims are no more valuable than if Eklund came in here and started saying a player is out of shape.

I guess we have to the be the Trib Editors, since the editors themselves refuse to hold these guys to any kind of reasonable standard of reporting.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
8 + 13 + 2 = 23

Point being, you're wrong and you should feel bad haha

How many forwards did we carry into the season last year? I believe it was more because Jeffrey and Tangradi were eligible for waivers

The point is, Bortuzzo or Strait were going. Neither was getting playing time here, so neither has really any said value, nor would they gain it. I'm sure Shero tried trading Strait before putting him through waivers. We can talk about sending Despres down, but it's better for the team to keep him up. Using hindsight, Despres should have been sent down, because he wasn't used properly. I know going into last season, I thought Despres was going to see some decent minutes.

Brian Strait was the 9th best defenseman we had ready for NHL duty, and was not going to do here what he did on the Island. Lovejoy was not going to do here what he did in Anaheim. They got opportunity there to be big minute defensemen, which is an opportunity that would never have happened here.

Last edited:

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
The point is, Bortuzzo or Strait were going. Neither was getting playing time here, so neither has really any said value, nor would they gain it. I'm sure Shero tried trading Strait before putting him through waivers. We can talk about sending Despres down, but it's better for the team to keep him up. Whether or not he was used properly though is another story.

Brian Strait was the 9th best defenseman we had ready for NHL duty.

Shero needs better communication with his coach then. We did not have to lose anybody for nothing in that situation. Its not a huge deal that we did, but we absolutely did not have to. Sending Despres down or trading Lovejoy from the start would have been enough to make sure we didn't lose anybody for nothing.

As for Strait as a player, was Eaton any better?

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
That was the kicker for me.

Lost Strait to waivers? Yeah... that blows but oh well. Best of luck, I guess... the team has other good young defensemen ready to take the next step.

Wait... they're bringing in Eaton? Wut?

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Shero needs better communication with his coach then. We did not have to lose anybody for nothing in that situation. Its not a huge deal that we did, but we absolutely did not have to. Sending Despres down or trading Lovejoy from the start would have been enough to make sure we didn't lose anybody for nothing.

As for Strait as a player, was Eaton any better?

I really don't know for sure. I'd tend to believe Strait could have been Eaton. I do know Eaton was more experienced...and we know how much that counts around here.

And I edited my post as you were quoting it. He wasn't used properly. So...that just makes it worse.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I really don't know for sure. I'd tend to believe Strait could have been Eaton. I do know Eaton was more experienced...and we know how much that counts around here.

ya I don't know for sure. Really, my whole point back when this started was that despite not being a huge deal, the Lovejoy/Strait/Eaton situation was an uncharacteristic careless mistake for Shero.

Nietzsche Zone Play

Jun 11, 2010
Pittsburgh
a guy like Strait, at that point in time/development, has no trade value. Hickey was waived for similar team depth reasons and he was (a) younger than Strait, and (b) not far removed from being a highly touted top-5 draft pick. no idea why people are still talking about that in a negative way.

as for the initial post, I agree and have pointed out similar numbers elsewhere in the past. it's also why I like the "riverboat gambling" Shero does in the late rounds, recently snagging higher-skilled projects like Wilson, Byron, Archibald, and Zlobin. if any of them put it together and contribute on the pro roster down the road they will be tremendous late-round assets. if not, nothing really lost.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
a guy like Strait, at that point in time/development, has no trade value. Hickey was waived for similar team depth reasons and he was (a) younger than Strait, and (b) not far removed from being a highly touted top-5 draft pick. no idea why people are still talking about that in a negative way.

as for the initial post, I agree and have pointed out similar numbers elsewhere in the past. it's also why I like the "riverboat gambling" Shero does in the late rounds, recently snagging higher-skilled projects like Wilson, Byron, Archibald, and Zlobin. if any of them put it together and contribute on the pro roster down the road they will be tremendous late-round assets. if not, nothing really lost.

People didn't want Strait traded. They wanted him to get an opportunity to play because he had progressed about as well as anyone reasonably would've projected, but the organization instead opted for a guy who didn't look good here, whose skillset we didn't need (Lovejoy), and who was dealt in short order, and then a reclamation project in Eaton.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
People didn't want Strait traded. They wanted him to get an opportunity to play because he had progressed about as well as anyone reasonably would've projected, but the organization instead opted for a guy who didn't look good here, whose skillset we didn't need (Lovejoy), and who was dealt in short order, and then a reclamation project in Eaton.

I'd honestly love to hear Ray's thought process behind that. Was he trying to trade Lovejoy first, or was he trying to trade Strait? Didn't Anaheim have a defenseman go down then they made that trade? It's all very odd. He could have carried 8 defensemen, but teams rarely do that...they typically opt for the extra forwards.

I still agree with the decision to keep Despres up, but couldn't disagree more with how he was used. If Despres was used properly, I think people wouldn't be so heart broken over Strait. I also can't imagine Ray having how Eaton was used in mind when he made that deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad