Tribute Thanks MacT

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
If he doesn’t hire Eakins then we’re not in a position to draft Draisaitl and Mcdavid. Really sneaky clever move by Mac T. He was playing chess while all of us were playing checkers.
You see? All part of MacT's genius... ;)

But seriously, if he had hired Gerard Gallant instead of Dallas Eakins, would we be looking back on his brief-blip of GM-ing so critically? It was that one disaster move (albeit it was an epic one) that killed his lasting rep as a club administrator. Otherwise, he was about average.

RattsSSV

Слава Україні - F*** Putin
May 4, 2006
Fair enough. (But Muck was only "head" coach for two seasons.)
Yeah, I give him a lot of credit for his systems and how well the team did in the 90 cup win.

Adversely, I felt that MacT often left me scratching my head with some of his choices and his coaching cost the team wins.

Reactions: oilers'72

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Yeah, I give him a lot of credit for his systems and how well the team did in the 90 cup win.

Adversely, I felt that MacT often left me scratching my head with some of his choices and his coaching cost the team wins.
Yeah... he coached the team within a period of the Stanley Cup (with a back-up goalie in net).

I love Muckler of course, but c'mon he inherited a veteran-squad with Messier, Kurri, Tikkanen, Fuhr/Ranford, Anderson, Simpson, Graves, Klima, Murphy, etc.

MacT had to make do with the dregs of bad drafting and no free-agents as Edmonton couldn't afford them.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Yeah... he coached the team within a period of the Stanley Cup (with a back-up goalie in net).

I love Muckler of course, but c'mon he inherited a veteran-squad with Messier, Kurri, Tikkanen, Fuhr/Ranford, Anderson, Simpson, Graves, Klima, Murphy, etc.

MacT had to make do with the dregs of bad drafting and no free-agents as Edmonton couldn't afford them.

Poor bastard having to make due with a very underrated squad led by HoFer Pronger

RattsSSV

Слава Україні - F*** Putin
May 4, 2006

Yeah that '90 team had a hell of a lot of talent but with Fuhr being injured, Ranford (a backup until then) ended up playing the majority of the season. The Kid Line emerged late in the season and the things just kinda came together at the right time for the team.

I agreed MacT had a harder go over his time with less talent (besides the Cinderella run of '06 which was an outlier talent wise), however the same could be said about Ron Low. Low's teams faced some excellent Colorado and Dallas teams taking them both to the second round.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I used to appreciate his transparent style, but I came to believe it was a detriment.

We have a good team now so that takes the sting away from the bad days, especially since if we were better back then we wouldn't have got McDavid.

Game 8

Mar 8, 2003
Maybe he stuck his neck out for Nurse but Draisaitl was an easy choice over Bennett. Those two picks were the only things he got right upon his return to the Oilers. We were lucky things didn’t turn out a lot worse during his tenure.

If you recall these boards at the time I would say half wanted Bennett. Not such an easy choice then.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
MacT was an awesome Oilers' player in the latter-half of the Dynasty years and just beyond.

MacT was the 2nd best coach in Oilers' history, and did an amazing job behind the bench for several years.

MacT had 15 minutes as G.M., made some great moves and several not-so-great ones.

So, he scores 2 out of 3 on the Oiler-Contribution score card, and those 2 that were good constituted about 95% of his time with the organization. At the end of the day, even his minor-disaster GM-period produced Draisaitl, so good enough.

The boggest blunder of all, was to hire Eakins. Its very much because of that shit his rep is bad. He changed the drafting philosophybfrom awful to quite Ok.

The Eakins hire, and the blind trust ti that was the disaster.
Disnt help he had bad voices besides him whispering i. jis ears, and boom, there we got Nikitin and Fayne as the savour for the blueline. In reality, a 7th and a 8th dman

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
You do realize how good Thornton was in his prime right?

Yes and Thornton has never been the caliber of goalscorer that Leon is. Both are exceptional passers and big bodied centers that can protect the puck very well but Leon's skating and goalscoring are on another level compared to Jumbo.

Jumbo's top seasons:

Goals:
29 (twice)
23 (twice)

Leon's top seasons so far:

57 (in 39 games)

Goals:
43 (in 71 games)
19 (in 39 games)

I don't think that it'd be unreasonable to think that had last season not been cut short that Leon had a legit shot at tying or beating Thornton's career high in points and once again hitting or at least being close to the 50 goal mark. I also don't think that it'd be unreasonable to think that Drai would've had a 3rd consecutive 100 point season had this not been a shortened season, this would've tied Thornton with 3 career 100 point seasons.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Didn't he draft Bear, and Jones too? From what I recall he was decent at drafting.
MacT was a disaster at drafting besides these two gem first rounders. The only other players he found with an absolute plethora of late round picks were Slepyshev and Lagesson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad