Tribute Thanks MacT

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
For peeing beside Darnell Nurses grandpa at the draft and picking Drai over Bennett the following year. The true architect of this team.

We sure it was pee? :)

I like to imagine the story as MacT in distress in a bathroom stall after a bad burrito and Nurse's grandpa helps find some toilet paper for him.

Yeah, 2013, 2014, 2015 failures really did end up building a great foundation. 2 of the best C's the league has seen in a decade+, and our #1D.

Reactions: oilers'72

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
I'm conflicted that two of my favorite Oilers, Drai, and Nurse, were McT picks.

I'm not sure how to feel about that. Mostly I just pretend he wasn't involved.

I guess you can take some credit away by looking at the reasons for the picks.

Nurse - gut feel, just some typical gambling by our org

Drai - too lazy to look for a #2C that summer so they picked the guy that they thought would be immediately NHL ready because of his "man strength". He wasn't ready and we just threw another season in the trash, but hey, McDavid :)

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Mac T deserves little credit for what little good he did for the organization.

But those are two great players.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
"Draisaitl was an easy choice over Bennett" is not a take that history agrees with. Just check out any thread on this board or listen to any radio show or read any article from the time period.

I don't disagree with anything else in your post, just in case that isn't clear.

For me it was Ekblad or Drai or bust. I expected Bennett to be better than he is and I didn't expect Leon to become the player that he has become (I saw him more as a Thornton level player IF everything went right for him).

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
We sure it was pee? :)

I like to imagine the story as MacT in distress in a bathroom stall after a bad burrito and Nurse's grandpa helps find some toilet paper for him.

Yeah, 2013, 2014, 2015 failures really did end up building a great foundation. 2 of the best C's the league has seen in a decade+, and our #1D.
MacT liked to make his decisions in the can for some reason. Met up with Eakins in a washroom and after some short convo, came to the conclusion that he was an amazing coach, too good to let slip away.

McWeber

Mouthbreather
Jul 14, 2015
Lethbridge
I am kinda curious what MacT would have done if he got to keep his job after we won the Mclottery. Felt kind of bad for the guy because he seemed pretty pumped when we won. It's like winning the Lambo in a raffle lottery only to not be able to ever drive it because of the insurance cost.

barry halls

Nov 13, 2018
As a GM he was mediocre to bad, but going back and watching 80s games gave me a new sense of appreciation for him as a player. He was a really solid player on some outstanding teams.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Mact deserves little credit. What happened if you will remember the squad was very small and poorly constructed to play agaisnt the much larger stronger forwards in the Pacific.

Cogliano, gagner, nuge, paajarvi etc. They had no choice becuase of their own incompetence to draft the larger centre in Draisaitl.

Same with nurse who we picked because of our deplorable defense. It's not like he went way out on a limb and selected someone off the radar.

history judging mact well as gm...give me a break

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
For me it was Ekblad or Drai or bust. I expected Bennett to be better than he is and I didn't expect Leon to become the player that he has become (I saw him more as a Thornton level player IF everything went right for him).
You do realize how good Thornton was in his prime right?

Reactions: McTonyBrar

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
MacT was an awesome Oilers' player in the latter-half of the Dynasty years and just beyond.

MacT was the 2nd best coach in Oilers' history, and did an amazing job behind the bench for several years.

MacT had 15 minutes as G.M., made some great moves and several not-so-great ones.

So, he scores 2 out of 3 on the Oiler-Contribution score card, and those 2 that were good constituted about 95% of his time with the organization. At the end of the day, even his minor-disaster GM-period produced Draisaitl, so good enough.

Reactions: Declassified

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
MacT deserves legitimate credit for these 2 selections. He stuck his neck out for a couple unpopular picks that turned out to be 2 of the 3 most important players on the team.

Of course that doesn't excuse Dallas Eakins or having the worst pro scouting department in league history, but I'm willing to say it out loud.

If he doesn’t hire Eakins then we’re not in a position to draft Draisaitl and Mcdavid. Really sneaky clever move by Mac T. He was playing chess while all of us were playing checkers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad