Post-Game Talk: Thankfully this game is over. Jets win 5-2

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Oilers can come close to last year's total if Talbot has another Vezina calibre year. But I doubt that he will.
Besides, last year Oilers swept Calgary, Winnipeg, Colorado, St Louis and took 9 of 10 points from Vancouver. No way that was going to happen again this year.
Not going to be a 100 point team, how much less is the question
They also have an expansion team in their division (don't be fooled by a 3-0 start) and will probably be better against the East...where they were barely over.500 last year

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I mean after one good season in a decade you are willing to anoint the Oilers as cup contenders so I mean, yeah sure.

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
I know, it's almost like they don't award the Cup after the first three games...

Oilers 1982-83
started 3-5-3 (and only .500 after 24 games)
ended 1st in division
Stanley Cup Finalist

Oilers 1986-87
started 1-2-0
ended 1st overall
won Stanley Cup

Oilers 1987-88
started 1-2-0
ended 3rd overall
won Stanley Cup (16-2 record)

Oilers 1989-90
started 6-9-4
ended 2nd division (5th overall)
won Stanley Cup

Oilers 1991-92
started 7-13-3 (including 9-2 loss to Calgary opening night)
won Division in the playoffs (made final 4 in playoffs)

Oilers 2005-06
started 3-6-1
won Conference, made Stanley Cup Finals

Even last year, they were barely .500 through 18 games.

In short, everyone take a chill-pill and check back in January...

Thank you so much for posting this.

Everyone here needs to look at this each morning after they wake up before we turn on this team and push the panic button. It's so freaking early.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
The season isn't over but concerns should be had.
Just amazing how many people can't handle a little criticism of the team. Like even pointing out legit weak points in the roster that Stevie Wonder could see makes you a 'chicken little' or a fan who doesn't think the team can make the playoffs, or a fan who can't count to three and realize there are seventy nine games left. So sick of it.

I guess the only criticism this board can engage in is the sort where we all dogpile one guy. Like fine to go after Eakins for his stupidity, or Schultz because he 'gave up', or Hall because he was mean to the crybaby Yakupov, or Eberle cause he he's a 'liability'. But god, heaven forbid anyone point out that f***ing Benning playing in the top four is a monumental joke. Or Caggiula as a top six forward is something only an unprepared team would be depending on. Etc etc. A hundred guys will call you chicken little for pointing out simple facts and then put words in your mouth as if you are saying the team sucks and the season is over. If anything needs to stop its that kind of posting, not the pointing out of the truth.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
From what I recall, I think he only got 1 or 2 full games, they were mostly testing out the other goalies and giving them 1 period each. Talbs is def not himself, not to say he played horrible, that was mostly on the D, but he still used to be making those monster saves that'd have kept that game a lot closer. LB's game has looked good at least, so if Talbs gets scored on 1-2 times early vs Ottawa, time to put LB back in.
I guess it is worth mentioning Talbot did let in 13 goals in the first three games last year. Maybe he needs more time in pre-season going forward

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Just amazing how many people can't handle a little criticism of the team. Like even pointing out legit weak points in the roster that Stevie Wonder could see makes you a 'chicken little' or a fan who doesn't think the team can make the playoffs, or a fan who can't count to three and realize there are seventy nine games left. So sick of it.

I guess the only criticism this board can engage in is the sort where we all dogpile one guy. Like fine to go after Eakins for his stupidity, or Schultz because he 'gave up', or Hall because he was mean to the crybaby Yakupov, or Eberle cause he he's a 'liability'. But god, heaven forbid anyone point out that ****ing Benning playing in the top four is a monumental joke. Or Caggiula as a top six forward is something only an unprepared team would be depending on. Etc etc. A hundred guys will call you chicken little for pointing out simple facts and then put words in your mouth as if you are saying the team sucks and the season is over. If anything needs to stop its that kind of posting, not the pointing out of the truth.
I just don't get why Chiarelli took his hands off the wheel. Fine, you want to see what you have. Well... You've seen it. Is anyone impressed? No goals by any wingers, a swiss cheese second pairing, and a goalie in a slump.

Chia had a real Tambellini-like summer and should be criticized if the team struggles.

It's asinine to throw shade at the players who aren't here anymore yet be upset when someone critiques the players that are here.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
It's not the criticism, it's the criticism with the assumption that this is the reality of the situation. Again, it's criticism coming from a place where MANY were simply 'waiting' for this to happen.

Again, the team has concerns, but to assume that this is the reality and it's not ALSO possible the team had to poor games and can Play better, this is the problem.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
It's not the criticism, it's the criticism with the assumption that this is the reality of the situation. Again, it's criticism coming from a place where MANY were simply 'waiting' for this to happen.

Again, the team has concerns, but to assume that this is the reality and it's not ALSO possible the team had to poor games and can Play better, this is the problem.

Well Chiarelli "Waited" for this to happen when a lot of people saw it coming months ago. I'll even let the porous winger depth slide but to have Benning on the second pairing was a disaster waiting to happen that anyone could've predicted.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
They also have an expansion team in their division (don't be fooled by a 3-0 start) and will probably be better against the East...where they were barely over.500 last year

We were 6-10 in 16 eastern road games last year with 7 of those games coming against non playoff teams. Same 16 games, but some of those teams are improved like Philly, Carolina, Detroit.
I'd be satisfied at .500 on those 16 games.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
I guess it is worth mentioning Talbot did let in 13 goals in the first three games last year. Maybe he needs more time in pre-season going forward

Oilers were 7-1 in their first 8 games last year.
After 3 games Mcdavid had 6 pts and was +5. This year 4 pts and even 0 rating

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
We were 6-10 in 16 eastern road games last year with 7 of those games coming against non playoff teams. Same 16 games, but some of those teams are improved like Philly, Carolina, Detroit.
I'd be satisfied at .500 on those 16 games.
We did bad against the east because we..

1. Play down to our competition far too much
2. Struggle against fast and aggressive attacks

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Oilers were 7-1 in their first 8 games last year.
After 3 games Mcdavid had 6 pts and was +5. This year 4 pts and even 0 rating
We also played Calgary twice in those 3 games. He feasts on Calgary so I really don't even get your point either.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

Exactly. If we come out, play well and win our next 3 games then all of this huffing and puffing will be for nothing. I don't really remember anyone saying that Benning would ace being the #4 until Sekera got back. Ultimately McLellan wants more games like the Calgary game where the TEAM plays well and insulates the weaknesses of a few of their players playing over their heads. All that I'm saying is give it some time before pressing the panic button.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
We also played Calgary twice in those 3 games. He feasts on Calgary so I really don't even get your point either.

Oilers were 7-1 in their first 8 and caught some teams by surprise. They were 8-1 in their last 9 at garbage time. A .566 in between which is about what I see them being this year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad