Post-Game Talk: Thankfully this game is over. Jets win 5-2

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
I'm not even really being negative. I just think McDavid and Drai had great years and it will be very hard to repeat and might hit a bit of a slump this year.

I agree that the oilers as a team will regress...but by how much is the question. Year after year we see teams that give away early season points fail to make the playoffs. Last year it was LA Kings

Kagomeboy

HF board regular Otaku
Mar 7, 2017
Coquitlam
I agree that the oilers as a team will regress...but by how much is the question. Year after year we see teams that give away early season points fail to make the playoffs. Last year it was LA Kings

The oilers have only played three games they have 79 games to go. take a deep breath and do not feed the trolls.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
I don't buy this whole 'they're not working hard enough'. That was always the excuse in the days of absolute suckage when the reality was that they just weren't good enough. Our D is not good enough with Sekera injured. Our secondary scoring is not good enough period, and neither is Talbot. And that's the reality, no matter what any coach tells you.
Then please explain how we dominate Calgary and then suck against Vancouver ? Two pretty different calibre teams. If we were "good enough" to beat the Flames then we should be "good enough" to beat the Canucks. I mean I think its pretty clear from watching the last three games that there have been pretty severe differences in effort level and execution.

If you don't think Talbot is "good enough" you must have missed the entirety of last season. Best goalie the Oilers have had in at least a decade.

Kagomeboy

HF board regular Otaku
Mar 7, 2017
Coquitlam
Then please explain how we dominate Calgary and then suck against Vancouver ? Two pretty different calibre teams. If we were "good enough" to beat the Flames then we should be "good enough" to beat the Canucks. I mean I think its pretty clear from watching the last three games that there have been pretty severe differences in effort level and execution.

If you don't think Talbot is "good enough" you must have missed the entirety of last season. Best goalie the Oilers have had in at least a decade.

Vancouver should not be taken lightly ,I know they are not good but they are going to work hard and I think the Oilers just got caught by surprise.The jets well they lost badly in their couple of games and I bet you played alot harder because of their last couple of games.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
The oilers have only played three games they have 79 games to go. take a deep breath and do not feed the trolls.
I know, it's almost like they don't award the Cup after the first three games...

Oilers 1982-83
started 3-5-3 (and only .500 after 24 games)
ended 1st in division
Stanley Cup Finalist

Oilers 1986-87
started 1-2-0
ended 1st overall
won Stanley Cup

Oilers 1987-88
started 1-2-0
ended 3rd overall
won Stanley Cup (16-2 record)

Oilers 1989-90
started 6-9-4
ended 2nd division (5th overall)
won Stanley Cup

Oilers 1991-92
started 7-13-3 (including 9-2 loss to Calgary opening night)
won Division in the playoffs (made final 4 in playoffs)

Oilers 2005-06
started 3-6-1
won Conference, made Stanley Cup Finals

Even last year, they were barely .500 through 18 games.

In short, everyone take a chill-pill and check back in January...

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
I'm curious how Penguins fans are feeling right now. 1-1-1 with one loss being 10-1 . Shame they won't 3peat amirite?

Kagomeboy

HF board regular Otaku
Mar 7, 2017
Coquitlam
I know, it's almost like they don't award the Cup after the first three games...

Oilers 1982-83
started 3-5-3 (and only .500 after 24 games)
ended 1st in division
Stanley Cup Finalist

Oilers 1986-87
started 1-2-0
ended 1st overall
won Stanley Cup

Oilers 1987-88
started 1-2-0
ended 3rd overall
won Stanley Cup (16-2 record)

Oilers 1989-90
started 6-9-4
ended 2nd division (5th overall)
won Stanley Cup

Oilers 1991-92
started 7-13-3 (including 9-2 loss to Calgary opening night)
won Division in the playoffs (made final 4 in playoffs)

Oilers 2005-06
started 3-6-1
won Conference, made Stanley Cup Finals

Even last year, they were barely .500 through 18 games.

In short, everyone take a chill-pill and check back in January

So true.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
They were "predictable" to people who still think last year was a "fluke"

Yes, Russell and Benning don't look great so far, one would think they're going to investigate other options.

Again, they are better team then these last 2 games.

Oilers can come close to last year's total if Talbot has another Vezina calibre year. But I doubt that he will.
Besides, last year Oilers swept Calgary, Winnipeg, Colorado, St Louis and took 9 of 10 points from Vancouver. No way that was going to happen again this year.
Not going to be a 100 point team, how much less is the question

Kagomeboy

HF board regular Otaku
Mar 7, 2017
Coquitlam
Oilers can come close to last year's total if Talbot has another Vezina calibre year. But I doubt that he will.
Besides, last year Oilers swept Calgary, Winnipeg, Colorado, St Louis and took 9 of 10 points from Vancouver. No way that was going to happen again this year.

they are going to be a 100 point team [mod].

Last edited by a moderator:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

A lot went right for this team last season...absolutely no doubt about that.
I think getting to 100 points is going to be very tough...I dont see them doing it primarily because they will miss Sekera and also because the depth on RW is worse this year.
That being said I do think that they will be in the mid to high 90's and make the playoffs.

Reactions: SomeDudeOTI

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
they are going to be a 100 point team and you will never post here again, you are a troll.

I'm a fan of the team, but not a fanboy.

There are some compelling reasons to be concerned this year. i.e. the way McDavid could be contained in the post season. Add that to the Oilers not stomping over the aforementioned teams and we have ourselves a reason to watch regular season games.

[mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I think we will see Saturday if this is a team that can bounce back.

Perfect opportunity to. They will be super rest and Ottawa will be on a back to back. Gotta come flying out of the gate and show Ottawa we mean business.

Kagomeboy

HF board regular Otaku
Mar 7, 2017
Coquitlam

Perfect opportunity to. They will be super rest and Ottawa will be on a back to back. Gotta come flying out of the gate and show Ottawa we mean business.

It game 4,for pete sake come on.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

I expect a big bounce back game as well. The team should be humble and very well prepared with all the practice time this week.
If they stink out the joint again on Sat...then that will be a problem IMO even at this early juncture.

Kagomeboy

HF board regular Otaku
Mar 7, 2017
Coquitlam
I'm a fan of the team, but not a fanboy.

There are some compelling reasons to be concerned this year. i.e. the way McDavid could be contained in the post season. Add that to the Oilers not stomping over the aforementioned teams and we have ourselves a reason to watch regular season games.

[mod]
breath man it is only three games.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I expect a big bounce back game as well. The team should be humble and very well prepared with all the practice time this week.
If they stink out the joint again on Sat...then that will be a problem IMO even at this early juncture.
Yeah that's my point.
With the practice time the team should have another Calgary like game.

It'll be interesting to see lines at practice tomorrow.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad