CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Defense is

Klefbom - Larsson
Nurse - Russell
Auvitu - Gryba
Benning

At practice.

Draisaitl out due to a swollen eye, should be good for Saturday.

Also McDavid is pissed cause Klefbom knocked him into the net and he hit the goal post lol

Last edited:

OilCountry93

Jul 2, 2014
Yeah that's my point.
With the practice time the team should have another Calgary like game.

It'll be interesting to see lines at practice tomorrow.

Feeding Calgary their lunch and then losing to Vancouver was purely line matching in my eyes. When we’re at home and can decide which line to matchup with McDavid’s we were able to 1.) have McDavid play against Monohan’s line which is not good defensively and 2.) if Monohan’s line is constantly defending, it can’t put up points. When we went to Vancouver they were able to control the matchups and had Dorsett shadow and annoy McDavid all game. I would wager that when we go to Calgary and they get last change, Backlund will shadow McDavid. We need to be lights out at home because the book is out on how to defend McDavid (or at least minimize his chances).

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Feeding Calgary their lunch and then losing to Vancouver was purely line matching in my eyes. When we’re at home and can decide which line to matchup with McDavid’s we were able to 1.) have McDavid play against Monohan’s line which is not good defensively and 2.) if Monohan’s line is constantly defending, it can’t put up points. When we went to Vancouver they were able to control the matchups and had Dorsett shadow and annoy McDavid all game. I would wager that when we go to Calgary and they get last change, Backlund will shadow McDavid. We need to be lights out at home because the book is out on how to defend McDavid (or at least minimize his chances).

Oh noez, not Backlund! Whatsoever shall we do?! McDavid has lit the Flames up like a Christmas tree at the Saddledome since coming into the league beginning with his first multi-point night, it's probably his favorite arena to play in.

Remind me to go laugh at some folks when McDavid runs Vancouver's show several times in the next 10 years. Derek "McDavid Stopper" Dorsett my ass, lol.

OilCountry93

Jul 2, 2014
Oh noez, not Backlund! Whatsoever shall we do?! McDavid has lit the Flames up like a Christmas tree at the Saddledome since coming into the league beginning with his first multi-point night, it's probably his favorite arena to play in.

Remind me to go laugh at some folks when McDavid runs Vancouver's show several times in the next 10 years. Derek "McDavid Stopper" Dorsett my ass, lol.

Uh, Backlund was like 4th in Selke voting last year. Not saying McDavid can’t handle it (as shown in the past) but I believe he was also top 5 for Corsi. Backlund is a very good two way guy. There’s also no question Dorsett was pretty much text book at slowing down McDavid on Saturday.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
During the rebuild of 2010-2016 our record in the first month of those seasons was 31-34-8, or a point percentage of .48.

Our actual point percentage overall the entire season was .40, a really big difference over a year.

It's the difference between an 80 point season and a 65 point season.

Seasons aren't won or lost in the first month.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
The team does need to be able to step up when that top line is shut down... that goes without saying.

The 2nd line of Lucic/RNH with XXX has been pretty good over the 1st 3 games. Arguably Lucic and RNH have been the most consistent duo on the team, which is good news going forward if that continues. If Kassian/Slepyshev/Caggiula can develop some chemistry with that pair... they should have a solid 2nd line to roll out when that 1st line is firing blanks.

That 3rd line should in theory have pretty soft matchups as well so that ever elusive (almost mythical) offensive depth by rolling out 3 solid lines may yet come true.

Alowlyoilersfan

Sep 28, 2017
we need our bottom six to step up in terms of special teams and defensive play, especially Letestu. the top line will rebound offensively. we also need goaltending to be solid. I feel like brossoit deserves the next game, but you might have to give it to Talbot to get him going.

edit: I feel like defensively it needs to be a whole team effort to get back on track

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
we need our bottom six to step up in terms of special teams and defensive play, especially Letestu. the top line will rebound offensively. we also need goaltending to be solid. I feel like brossoit deserves the next game, but you might have to give it to Talbot to get him going.

edit: I feel like defensively it needs to be a whole team effort to get back on track

Yes, defense isn't just 2 dmen... there's 3 forwards out there that haven't been doing as much as they could to help cover players and help out the D that's somewhat being thrown to the wolves as the forwards try to cheat for offense.

I like that the Oilers are producing a lot of shots and scoring chances (4th most high danger scoring chances per 60 minutes at 5 on 5 in the NHL)... but obviously the forwards also have to pay attention to their own zone and help the D and G when the play goes the other way.

Talbot has been average to below average and the team has made some costly errors that have led to goals... but overall still outscored by only a 7-8 margin. I think it's certainly a salvageable situation though. It basically seems like unfortunate lapses and momentary lack of awareness in some situations and I think that can be focused on and worked on by the coaching staff. I think the talent and ability to be better is still there. It hasn't all vanished from these players from last season.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I just think we have the Flames number. This happens in sports. One team gets in the other teams head and its hard to reverse it. For years it was the other way and we couldn't beat the Flames. Now we seemingly can't lose to them. Conversely the Kings must HATE playing the Flames in recent years. Doesn't matter what they do, outplay them by a mile, outwork them, they find a way to lose. Its a confidence thing. The Flames, and certainly Tkachuk, take the Kings right off their game. Even Quick, who definitely should have had a couple of those goals.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I just think we have the Flames number. This happens in sports. One team gets in the other teams head and its hard to reverse it. For years it was the other way and we couldn't beat the Flames. Now we seemingly can't lose to them. Conversely the Kings must HATE playing the Flames in recent years. Doesn't matter what they do, outplay them by a mile, outwork them, they find a way to lose. Its a confidence thing. The Flames, and certainly Tkachuk, take the Kings right off their game. Even Quick, who definitely should have had a couple of those goals.
Then there is Carey Price vs the Oilers.

2-6-1 Record
0.868sv%
3.45 GAA

For whatever reason we make the best goalie in the world into Gustavsson

https://www.hockey-reference.com/players/p/priceca01/splits/

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad