Post-Game Talk: Thankful GDT: Atlanta Thrashers @ Washington Capitals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jun 15, 2007
Holy crap.

Washington actually has two effective scoring lines. When was the last time this happened?

That's not even the amazing thing. The amazing thing is defensemen 1 through 6 are all pretty good and no one is being asked to do more than they can. No more Schultz or Jurcina or Morrisonn or Erskine.

On top of that we have Holtby instead of Theodore.

This is the best Caps team we've seen in the Ovechkin era, possibly ever.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
That's not even the amazing thing. The amazing thing is defensemen 1 through 6 are all pretty good and no one is being asked to do more than they can. No more Schultz or Jurcina or Morrisonn or Erskine.

IMO this team has the potential to be the most complete in Caps history.

Koized

Oct 8, 2005
The 4th line is playing really well. Big difference in Ovechkin's game when he moves his feet.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
IMO this team has the potential to be the most complete in Caps history.

Need some more consistency throughout the lineup...but my goodness does this team excite me.

I think a telling point for me is that every single game I expect to win. In the past I was iffy depending upon the opponent...now...If we don't win I'm let down.

This team is stacked. Three lines that can score, one line that can cause mayhem and even without orpik three solid D pairings...when he's back up to snuff even better.

And goaltending...lol world class guys. Holtby is finally our next one. He's going to smash all 37's records by careers end. The guy is a beast. I'd say only Price is a better goaltender IMO and there's nights when I'd go the other way.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
Yeah, it's encouraging that the 4th line has actually played effective hockey for quite a few games now. Latta especially.

Wilson had a good play where he went wide 1 on 1 and then crashed the net. It would be amazing if 43 used his size to power to the net more often, like we saw on that play, rather than basically only use it to hit people through the glass.

Chukcha

Aug 24, 2011
mongolian steppes

Frankly speaking, they weren't so awful at that moment. You can't win the President Trophy with AHL scrubs.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Need some more consistency throughout the lineup...but my goodness does this team excite me.

I think a telling point for me is that every single game I expect to win. In the past I was iffy depending upon the opponent...now...If we don't win I'm let down.

This team is stacked. Three lines that can score, one line that can cause mayhem and even without orpik three solid D pairings...when he's back up to snuff even better.

And goaltending...lol world f-ing class guys. Holtby is finally our next one. He's going to smash all 37's records by careers end. The guy is a beast. I'd say only Price is a better goaltender IMO and there's nights when I'd go the other way.

I love me some Holtby but both Price and the King are better. Also, consistency is an issue for almost every team in the league, it's in the very nature of hockey.

What I'm trying to say is that you can put the 2015-2016 Caps against any team iced in the previous 40 years and expect them to come on top.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Yeah, it's encouraging that the 4th line has actually played effective hockey for quite a few games now. Latta especially.

Wilson had a good play where he went wide 1 on 1 and then crashed the net. It would be amazing if 43 used his size to power to the net more often, like we saw on that play, rather than basically only use it to hit people through the glass.

That didn't look like a guy who hasn't improved offensively to these eyes. Pleasantly surprised by that move. The kid has taken a solid step forward IMO since summer. I only wish I was saying that about 65 too.

Chukcha

Aug 24, 2011
mongolian steppes
I love me some Holtby but both Price and the King are better. Also, consistency is an issue for almost every team in the league, it's in the very nature of hockey.

What I'm trying to say is that you can put the 2015-2016 Caps against any team iced in the previous 40 years and expect them to come on top.

they both are established, 'cause they are older and more experienced. Holtby still has been developing.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
they both are established, 'cause they are older and more experienced. Holtby still has been developing.

If Holtby isn't already "established" as a top 10 goalie in the NHL, we're in trouble.

The other guys are simply better and more consistent. If this team had Hank, I'd be buying my Stanley Cup jersey already.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
I'd like to see TKO reunited. Or at least Kuznetsov-Ovechkin. The creativity Kuz has is a better fit.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
Thought the caps played well. took the play most of the game. Passing looked a bit sharper, how TJ doesn't get more points I don't. Kuzy is really becoming a man out there. Just always a threat and making things happen. Bura seemed to play ok, made a mistake but hustled back and made a play that set up the kuzy goal rush. Also soooo glad we don't have Buff as our anchor on D. He really is a liability.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany

I agree, I really like what I'm seeing in 9/88. Holtby even when he doesn't have his best game, he makes a couple saves that are big to keep us in control.

Fondue

Apr 25, 2007
Brooklyn
I'd like to see TKO reunited. Or at least Kuznetsov-Ovechkin. The creativity Kuz has is a better fit.

I've always been a fan of: "don't fix what ain't broke."

Both lines are playing well. Sometimes one line plays better than the other, but both seem to be doing very well more or less consistently.

I would keep it as is until there's a goal-scoring drought in one of the lines.

Tweedsuitcase

Sep 28, 2009
I'm so confused. On the nhl app, it will let me click and watch the whole game right now, but if I try to watch just the highlights it tries to make me sign in. I don't have any center ice package or anything like that. Odd that it lets you watch entire games

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA

How many of those previous 40 Caps teams did you witness playing?

1985, 1990, and 1992 were tremendous teams. 1998 obviously too, and of course 2010. I wouldn't immediately call this their best team, not yet. And maybe not at all.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Fun game.

Good on Mojo for the effort he put in tonight. His best performance in a while.

Would like to see Burakovsky spend some time in Hershey. Either bank a bit of cap space, or give Stephenson/Barber/Brown a shot.

Not many outside of DC would agree with me, but Kuz is a top-10 forward in the league right now. He just completely controls the game.

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
Where this team ranks historically will come down to how they do in the postseason.

They certainly have a shot to be the best team in Caps' history but there are other top notch clubs in the conference right now standing in the way...

It's hopefully gonna be fun to find out. You have to figure that someday they'll climb all the way up the mountain, but this teams loser bug has shown tremendous resiliency over the years...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad