GDT: Thank You Jeff Rimer | Penguins @ Jackets | 7 PM EST

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
The Penguins were the only NHL franchise Merzlikins hadn’t beaten in his first five seasons in the league. He was 0-6-0 in seven games against the Blue Jackets’ closest geographical opponent. He earned his first win overall since March 2.

“It went until the end, a shootout,” Merzlikins said, smiling. “It feels good, I can tell you that. In five years, all the times I played against them, I couldn’t do it. Tonight, I did it. So yeah, it feels good.

“(Malkin’s shot) was a pretty soft shot. He lost control of the puck maybe — I don’t know. But a save is a save. I won the game, so I’m the winner.”

Ugh

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

Ugh
This was the third question a reporter asked Elvis about winning the game. Every time the reporter asked if it was “personal.” The first two times Elvis didn’t mention himself.

The third question was cast as “you’ve never beaten them in your career.” This was the answer to that third question. No it’s not good but the reporter practically egged him into it.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
This was the third question a reporter asked Elvis about winning the game. Every time the reporter asked if it was “personal.” The first two times Elvis didn’t mention himself.

The third question was cast as “you’ve never beaten them in your career.” This was the answer to that third question. No it’s not good but the reporter practically egged him into it.
People really need to just find reason to hate on Elvis here when things like you just mention happen.

I don’t see this as selfish at all. Wins and losses are a stat tied to goalies and pitchers. When someone gets credit for a win they should be dammed proud they got a win. If they can be blamed for losses, they should be allowed to celebrate wins. Case closed.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

Ah, gotcha. That makes it better.
People really need to just find reason to hate on Elvis here when things like you just mention happen.
The added context does help, but it is not presented in Portys story that way. So, its pretty easy to not know about the prior questioning about making it personal.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

The added context does help, but it is not presented in Portys story that way. So, its pretty easy to not know about the prior questioning about making it personal.
Hearing the questions live postgame and seeing this piece it almost comes across like it was done on purpose. I don’t suspect it was but geez.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
In a year, we're going to have a new VP, GM, TV PBP guy, head coach, assistant coach, probably other coaches, and who knows what else. And frankly, it's not enough.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005

But isn't that the nature of many people on this board to make assumptions about Elvis? Maybe it's the mentality beaten into us as CBJ fans to expect the worst.

Have there been issues and disagreements among teammates and the front office? Sure. Do I think it is as bad as it gets portrayed in the media? No. This is not the first time disagreements like this have happened and it won't be the last.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Butler got :54 seconds of playing time on 1 shift. 1 shift?
I'm sure he doesn't mind much. He has NHL player on his resume and that can never be taken away from him.

Looking at his stats, he's an enforcer type and they get plenty of "bench time" no matter what level of competition they're playing.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

This is a good reminder to always pay attention to the questions in an interview.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad